Outdoor movie update

Coytee

We celebrated my wifes uncles 90th birthday over the weekend. I finally had to ask as I didn't remember the 4th as being his birthday. It isn't. His birthday isn't until August 27'th. hmmmm.....

As it turns out, they had it early because the stars aligned up and 99% of the extended family from all parts of the country were able to make it over this 4th of July weekend. The party was a smashing success.

They were going to have an outdoor movie last night. I've been a busy beaver getting the MWM's with the correct drivers in them so they could have good sound. I had them outdoors on Friday and was planning on taking them over so they could have outdoor music all weekend.

Come along Saturday evening, her cousin said he would probably just use his speakers. I was rather intrigued because..... I didn't know he owned any.... unless he meant "THOSE" (and it does not rhyme with Bose)

Turns out that they have some outdoor speakers mounted under their deck. These things are essentially 6-8 inches by maybe 4". I mean the entire speaker is that size, not just the tweeter driver...These are about the size of a pair of Pro-Media's WITHOUT the woofer box.

Knowing he was making a mistake, I simply said "ok" after all, it's a whole lot easier for me to show up to the movie and leave early than to drag 2 MWM singles over there, Crown amps, active crossovers, preamps, dvd players....and then clean it all up later when it's dark out.

I couldn't stand it.... I finally had to ask and he said it was indeed those speakers. I was starting to feel bad for him. BUT.... my brother in law came to the rescue.

Yesterday morning, just before we packed all of HIS goodies up in his truck, he asked his cousin if they wanted to use his portable speakers, some EV's

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/38110193.pdf

Answer came back "ok..." I think my brother in law was able to suggest the tiny speakers might not be sufficient. I also appreciate that their cousin might not really want this stack of "stuff" in his yard while their party was going on and I'm ok with that.

On to movie time....

Got over there last night. 15' or so inflatable screen is maybe 10' out in the yard from the edge of the patio. People are sitting on the patio as well as the deck above. Projector was on deck above sitting on some books to angle it downward and the keystone adjustment was maxed out to compensate for this angle

The EV speakers were maybe 20' apart but.... were next to the house BEHIND everyone. So, if you are sitting on the downstairs patio maybe 5' from the edge of the patio, the screen would be roughly 15' net feet in front of you and the speakers were 10' or maybe 15' BEHIND you and spread out 10' to your left and 10' to your right firing at the backside of your head.

The deck probably extends 10' from the house so the people sitting on the porch above, had the deck they were sitting on as a layer between them and the speakers. The speakers were firing out into the yard and had to curl back a bit to get up to them.

People on the top deck were chanting "turn it up, we can't hear it" and the people on the bottom patio were saying "it's PLENTY loud enough"

Much like the "Tastes great, less filling" debates [:P]

The movie they played was the Sherlock Holmes movie. I can't remember the actors name, I want to say George Clooney but I know it wasn't him....it was the other guy who's had drug problems.

The speach was fairly intelligable if you really stayed focused on it and listened. Pity those upstairs who had low volume.... I was sitting about four FEET from the speaker and could still barely make out the words AND felt it was not up loud enough.

Finally, my wife saved me as she wanted to go home. I don't know how the movie ended (nor do I care) and I don't know how the "turn it up, it's up loud enough" debates ended. That one would have been more interesting [6]

I strongly suggested we do a trial movie a week ago so we could iron out any bugs. I would suggest having the speakers 15' behnind you or on the ground under the deck that you are sitting on....are bugs that needed ironed out. I'm also glad they did not try to use those tiny speakers. It amazes me that people sometimes think "I have a pair of speakers so I'm ok in that department" without evidently realizing that scale of sound is somewhat related to scale of speaker size.

Be it as it may, this upcoming Friday, my wifes other cousin is coming out with their camper and we're planning on doing the same thing.

I'm just going to sit back & see what happens. I'll be intrigued to see if they want the MWM's this time. They won't get any pressure from me to do so. I'm happy not straining my back if I don't need to.... it also allows me to go to bed early and not worry about cleaning the mess up. That is kind of nice too.

[:D]

We are a odd bunch, average person does not care about the same things as us, or at least realize they should.

They tend to be intimidated when they see large or complicated pieces, as they often only think of it as "big and loud", not crystal clear with impact, emotion and all those other Klipschy words.

We have work to do to convince people that for you it's not about loud, it's about clear.OK, maybe Loud & Clear,can you hear me now?LOL

They probably just thought it was all the movies fault and the sound on it should have been designed for people sitting both in the front and back.[8-)]

Don't judge them too harsly as they are the normal ones, we are not.

Much the same as when a good band plays on a poor sound system,

or whoever's mixing has poor ears and pours beers, it is the band that sucks.

Chances to convert the masses, will only happen, when you control the vertical,

you control the horizontal and you can introduce people to a world of sound,

beyond the outer limits of what they thought possible.

We are a odd bunch

We?

You're the Canadian! [;)]

Actually, if some cards align for me, I might be making a drive towards Niagra and then Toronto.... I've got a voice in the back of my head saying you live between those two?

If I make this trip, might be nice to visit a fellow Klipschead....even if you are Canadian! [<:o)]

That's a bit of a drive, unless you do everything like you do your Klipsch and the vehicle is jet powered!LOL

I would be honored to meet and host you, while you are in the area.

You may not want to leave!

In that case, I would be willing to sponsor you, for the "Adopt A American" program, as there are many families that take pity on Americans and will take them in and provide a good home for them.[;)]

You are correct with my location and there is a mutitude of things to do, from visiting the wine region, live music, the thing with lots of water falling over it and the related tourist trappings, to the incredible Klipsch North experience.

Fun for the whole family.

• Moderators

I'm happy not straining my back if I don't need to.... it also allows me to go to bed early and not worry about cleaning the mess up. That is kind of nice too.

Big Smile

I can understand that, and if some thought it was to loud already you would have been not happy to not be able to give it a little power at least. Although you could have at least heard the voices clearly with your setup.

• Moderators

Although you could have at least heard the voices clearly with your setup.

Who told you I clearly hear voices?

Indifferent

You did, you said " the voices in my head said your a goofball " thats how I knew you were telling the Truth, the voices were right ! [:o]