RW-10D Blows Fuses - Any Ideas?

My RW-10D blows the fuse every time I turn it on. I've looked over the boards, but can't find any components that are visually damaged. I'm a handy person, and have repaired 10+ Promedia 2.1 systems, but I'm just lost as to where to go from here. Spending the $100 and sending it back in just isn't in the budget right now. If anyone has a wiring diagram, or knows of frequently bad components, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

FYI, I finally got brave and decided to short the fuse and see what started smoking. One of the mosfets (the one closest to the edge of the power board) pretty much exploded. I'm replacing that, along with the resistor that blew. I'll report back after I get the parts to let you know if that fixed it.

• 2 months later...

Just experienced the exact same symptom this past weekend... right before a 21st party [:'(]. Any chance of a picture of what you replaced? I haven't done the research yet, but is there a way to determine a bad mosfet from a good mosfet?

Have soldering iron and willing to give it a go before I fork out ~AU$400 for a replacement module.

LFaR.

FWIW, I've since found quite a few posts on this topic as well as a fixya thread: http://www.fixya.com/support/t5614956-klipsch_rw_10d_when

Has a root-cause been identified? Is one of the components particularly vulnerable? It reminds me of a problem I had with my Onkyo AVR, where a resistor they used was under-rated which caused the LCD display to fail. A new resistor with higher rating fixed that. Could this also be an inappropriately rated component?

LFaR.

Mine was the Mosfet on the right as you look atht he first picture on fixya. I know the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 systems had a 1/4W resistor, when there should have been a 1/2W. I bought a lot of 13 of those from a Best Buy warehouse that was getting rid of them.Replace 1 resistor, BAM. Still using them today.

I have no idea if it's a common problem or not. When mine blew, there wasn't much solid info on what was wrong. Hence why it came down to just shorting the fuse and seeing what blew up. Ended up saving me $133. You said it would cost AU$400 for a replacement module... How much is a new sub? IMO, it's worth shorting it out and replacing what's bad. Mine's sitll going STRONG.

&You said it would cost AU$400 for a replacement module... How much is a new sub? IMO, it's worth shorting it out and replacing what's bad. Mine's sitll going STRONG.

I bought the sub with a bunch of other equipment, so don't have a separate invoice for it. I recall a figure of around AU$900, which was a little discounted from RRP at the time.

Yeah, I hear you moose. Spending AU$400 just to fix it, gets a little rediculous, epsecially considering the price of the MOSFETs will be substantially less. I'm travelling soon, so may not get a chance to play with this for a few weeks. A busy week ahead.

Cheers,

LFaR.

• 1 month later...

Firstly, let me start out by shouting... Moose09876; you ROCK!

If it weren't for Moose's adventurous troubleshooting methods [;)], I could not have done this myself.

After getting many great tips from Moose, I ordered an IRF740 MOSFET N Channel, just $0.94 (yes 94 cents) , waited 3-weeks for it to be delivered [:o] , replaced the blown MOSFET, and my Subwoofer is BOOMING again!!! [:D] [:D] [H]

In case others have the same misfortune and are willing to have a go at fixing it themselves, I've recorded a few pics and tips. Naturally, you undertake this at your own risk. Whilst it worked for me, there's no guarantee it will work for you.

Remove bolts holding back plate and carefully remove it

Posted Image

The bad MOSFET is shown below

Posted Image

Remove cables and then remove power board to work on it. NOTE:Only work on the board when power is disconnected - and be careful not to touch the capacitors; they can store a jolt. You could use a capacitor drain resistor to be sure the capacitors have no stored energy.

Posted Image

Remove the MOSFET by first undoing the bolt that holds it to the heat-sink.

In my case, I removed the whole heat-sink in case I had to replace both MOSFETS. However, I'd suggest unbolt only the suspected MOSFET and if you have long-nose cutters, cut it's legs. This would only leave the 3-legs, detached from the MOSFET body. Desoldering 3-legs is much easier than trying to desolder the legs with the body still attached.

Posted Image

After removing the MOSFET (and desoldering its legs) from the power board, you must test the board to ensure the fault has been isolated. To do this safely:

a) Reconnect the red and black mains power connectors on the power board (leave all others disconnected)

B) Bolt the board to its mounting plate and reinstall the mounting plate onto the subwoofer box. Two or three screws should hold it securely enough.

c) Insert a fresh slow-blow fuse (1A)

d) Ensure the subwoofer's power switch is OFF

e) Insert power cord and and switch on at wall

f) Turn on the power at subwoofer

If the fuse still blows, then you need to keep troubleshooting; e.g. remove the 2nd MOSFET and repeat the steps above. On the other hand, if the fuse does not blow, then you are probably well on your way to repairing your unit.

Replace the MOSFET and solder it in place. Retest the board as above. Assuming a successful retest, continue to the next step.

For interest-sake, measure the output voltage of the power-module:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reconnect the signal cable and the output power cables. Now retest. This time, your subwoofer should completely power-up. Start rejoicing... you're nearly there.

Disconnect power and once again remove the board so you can continue to work on it.

Apply non-conductive thermal paste and remember to install the thin plastic insulator between the MOSFET and the heat-sink.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take your time. In this case, I needed to insert the bolt with the bent long-nose pliers. Then carefully hold the nut in place with a pair of straight long-nose pliers. I had just enough room to start rotating the bolt with my fingers, whilst still holding the nut with my pliers. Basically, do whatever works for you.

Posted Image

Glue the nuts in place (I used nail polish, but there are probably better glues for this)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/LiveFreeAndRoam/Klipsch/IMG_3017.jpg

Reconnect all those cables that you previously removed.

Rebolt the board to its mounting plate and reinstall it into the subwoofer.

Switch on the power and rejoice!!!!

Find your favourite movies/music and enjoy :)

LFaR.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Firstly, let me start out by shouting... Moose09876; you ROCK!

If it weren't for Moose's adventurous troubleshooting methods [ ;)], I could not have done this myself.

After getting many great tips from Moose, I ordered an IRF740 MOSFET N Channel, just $0.94 (yes 94 cents) , waited 3-weeks for it to be delivered [:o] , replaced the blown MOSFET, and my Subwoofer is BOOMING again!!! [:D] [:D] [H]

In case others have the same misfortune and are willing to have a go at fixing it themselves, I've recorded a few pics and tips. Naturally, you undertake this at your own risk. Whilst it worked for me, there's no guarantee it will work for you.

1. Remove bolts holding back plate and carefully remove it

IMG_1928.jpg

2. The bad MOSFET is shown below

IMG_1937.jpg?t=1288437666

3. Remove cables and then remove power board to work on it. NOTE:Only work on the board when power is disconnected - and be careful not to touch the capacitors; they can store a jolt. You could use a capacitor drain resistor to be sure the capacitors have no stored energy.

IMG_1934.jpg

4. Remove the MOSFET by first undoing the bolt that holds it to the heat-sink.

In my case, I removed the whole heat-sink in case I had to replace both MOSFETS. However, I'd suggest unbolt only the suspected MOSFET and if you have long-nose cutters, cut it's legs. This would only leave the 3-legs, detached from the MOSFET body. Desoldering 3-legs is much easier than trying to desolder the legs with the body still attached.

IMG_3371.jpg

5. After removing the MOSFET (and desoldering its legs) from the power board, you must test the board to ensure the fault has been isolated. To do this safely:

a) Reconnect the red and black mains power connectors on the power board (leave all others disconnected)

B) Bolt the board to its mounting plate and reinstall the mounting plate onto the subwoofer box. Two or three screws should hold it securely enough.

c) Insert a fresh slow-blow fuse (1A)

d) Ensure the subwoofer's power switch is OFF

e) Insert power cord and and switch on at wall

f) Turn on the power at subwoofer

If the fuse still blows, then you need to keep troubleshooting; e.g. remove the 2nd MOSFET and repeat the steps above. On the other hand, if the fuse does not blow, then you are probably well on your way to repairing your unit.

6. Replace the MOSFET and solder it in place. Retest the board as above. Assuming a successful retest, continue to the next step.

7. For interest-sake, measure the output voltage of the power-module:

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

8. Reconnect the signal cable and the output power cables. Now retest. This time, your subwoofer should completely power-up. Start rejoicing... you're nearly there.

9. Disconnect power and once again remove the board so you can continue to work on it.

10. Apply non-conductive thermal paste and remember to install the thin plastic insulator between the MOSFET and the heat-sink.

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Take your time. In this case, I needed to insert the bolt with the bent long-nose pliers. Then carefully hold the nut in place with a pair of straight long-nose pliers. I had just enough room to start rotating the bolt with my fingers, whilst still holding the nut with my pliers. Basically, do whatever works for you.

IMG_3013.jpg

11. Glue the nuts in place (I used nail polish, but there are probably better glues for this)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/LiveFreeAndRoam/Klipsch/IMG_3017.jpg

12. Reconnect all those cables that you previously removed.

13. Rebolt the board to its mounting plate and reinstall it into the subwoofer.

14. Switch on the power and rejoice!!!!

15. Find your favourite movies/music and enjoy :)

LFaR.

Hey Live Free and Roam, I know its a longshot you may see this thread again, but did your sub continue working after replacing only the MOSFETS?  My sub died the other day, fuse is blown, everything looks immaculate inside though.  I ordered the MOSFETs and will replace them when they get here.  I am just curious if there is anything else that is causing/could cause this in the future?  Any help from any forum members would also be greatly appreciated.  It's a klipsch rw-10d as well.  Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping it will get it working for a few years at least.  The parts are coming from China I suppose (I wish amazon would specify that before ordering so I would know whether or not I want to wait that long), so once they arrive in a month or so, I will update if it works or not.

• 2 years later...

I know this is old... Just checking on any new tips... My Sub 10 just bit the dust for the second time.  Bought a pulled amp on ebay several years ago then it sat in stand-by mode for several years.  Decided to start using the home theater again.  Strange tho.  Nothing burned.  Fuse is fine.  Just completely DOA.  No light.  Nada.  I've probed and I know some of the board is powering up.  Considering swapping with a Bash 300s but figured I'd try replacing the MOSFETs first.  Ordered several and will throw em in soon.

I do know one thing tho.  This is the last Klipsch anything I ever purchase!  Still have my dead Promedia THX 5.1 system boxed up in the garage!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Klipsch Forum Members,

This is my first post in your forum and I appreciate that opportunity. I recently found one of these RW10D placed nicely out on the sidewalk for the trash pickup. I looked to be in like-new condition. Not a ding on it anywhere. I popped the cover off and there was no visible damage. So I proceeded to carry it home ~1/4 mile, stopping to rest every couple hundred feet. This baby has some weight to it!. Luckily, about half way home, a neighbor saw my predicament and offered to haul me and the cabinet home. Moving on . . . 

It wouldn't power up. I checked and the speaker checks out at 4.8 ohms, so at least I have a cabinet and a speaker. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a fuse on the board. I was about ready to give up and just buy a replacement subwoofer amp to hook this up to, when luckily today I found your forum! First I found another thread ( RW10D Fuse Location ) that says the fuse is right under the power cord receptacle. So I pull the fuse, and it's blown. Needless to say, I'm very happy that the previous owner didn't check this (there were no DIY screw driver marks on the fuse cap, which btw, is removed by inserting a small flat blade screw driver in the slot under the cap, and leveraging upward). So now I need a fuse to test further. 

The fuse cap itself is engraved with "USE ONLY WITH A 250V FUSE".  The fuse itself is engraved with T2AL250VP (aka T2AL250V P, or T2AL250VP LF) (the T signifying slow blow, 2A, 250V, and the P means Lead Free). Additionally, it's form factor is a "little fuse" (ie. LF") that is 5mm x 20mm. The fuse glass is burnt internally and I can't tell if was a wound conductor, or a solid wire conductor. My research seems to indicate that the "P" fuses have a wound conductor, but I'm not an expert on fuses. I see in this (wonderful) thread (thank you LiveFreeAndRoam), that 1A is mentioned. Unfortunately, LiveFreeAndRoam's September 10, 2010 bulleted link above (  "RW-10D fuse value" ) and the other bulleted links in that post no longer work (RIP aspx TG!).

Does anyone know for certain what the spec'd fuse is for the RW10D? If it matters, an internal sticker says "RW10D 120V" and the lower sticker says RW10DB+06440186.

Thank you for you help. Your comments and corrections are always welcome : )

Regards . . .

Edited by BretAB
Bold added
  • Like 1

Hi,

I had no reply so far and I want to finish this repair project, so I went digging and found the answer:

Go here Klipsch - Fuse Specs for Powered Subwoofers and download the xlsx. The row for the RW-10 (no RW010D listed) shows Bad url, but shows us it's Parts-Express.com part number 071-862 . Go to parts-express.com and search for 071-862. The part is no longer available from this vendor, but the description at that site shows "Littelfuse 2A GDC Type 5 x 20mm Slo-Blo Fuse 5 Pcs" and "GDC / GMA type 5 mm x 20 mm Slo-Blo® time-lag fuse". Designed to International (IEC) Standards for use globally. Rated at 250 VAC. RoHS compliant and lead free. 5 per package, plastic box." That agrees with the xlsx's 2A.

As I just learned, it should be noted that there's a difference between a "Slow Blow" and a "Time Delay Fuse", as noted here: https://www.hunker.com/13414366/difference-between-slow-blow-time-delay-fuse , where we see "Slow blow (time delay) fuses have built-in time delay features that prevent them from blowing during intermittent current surges (large motors, air conditioners and dryers). Time delay fuses blow under constant or repeated current overload conditions." Note the words "intermittent" and "constant". The xlsx column header specifically says "FUSE TYPE (SLOW BLOW)" (and the RW-10 cell has "2A"). Additionally, at Wikipedia it is further explained that, "A standard fuse may require twice its rated current to open in one second, a fast-blow fuse may require twice its rated current to blow in 0.1 seconds, and a slow-blow fuse may require twice its rated current for tens of seconds to blow."

Problem solved. Hth someone sometime : )

Regards . . .

Edited by BretAB
Add info.
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, BretAB said:

Hi,

I had no reply so far and I want to finish this repair project, so I went digging and found the answer:

Go here Klipsch - Fuse Specs for Powered Subwoofers and download the xlsx. The row for the RW-10 (no RW010D listed) shows Bad url, but shows us it's Parts-Express.com part number 071-862 . Go to parts-express.com and search for 071-862. The part is no longer available from this vendor, but the description at that site shows "Littelfuse 2A GDC Type 5 x 20mm Slo-Blo Fuse 5 Pcs" and "GDC / GMA type 5 mm x 20 mm Slo-Blo® time-lag fuse". Designed to International (IEC) Standards for use globally. Rated at 250 VAC. RoHS compliant and lead free. 5 per package, plastic box." That agrees with the xlsx's 2A.

As I just learned, it should be noted that there's a difference between a "Slow Blow" and a "Time Delay Fuse", as noted here: https://www.hunker.com/13414366/difference-between-slow-blow-time-delay-fuse , where we see "Slow blow (time delay) fuses have built-in time delay features that prevent them from blowing during intermittent current surges (large motors, air conditioners and dryers). Time delay fuses blow under constant or repeated current overload conditions." Note the words "intermittent" and "constant". The xlsx column header specifically says "FUSE TYPE (SLOW BLOW)" (and the RW-10 cell has "2A"). Additionally, at Wikipedia it is further explained that, "A standard fuse may require twice its rated current to open in one second, a fast-blow fuse may require twice its rated current to blow in 0.1 seconds, and a slow-blow fuse may require twice its rated current for tens of seconds to blow."

Problem solved. Hth someone sometime : )

Regards . . .

glad you found the right fuse...  what happened after you replaced the fuse if you have yet?  usually, unless there was an external power short or other issue that blew the fuse, the fuses on these subs blow due to a problem internally with the amp.  if yours works with just a new fuse consider yourself lucky. 

if it blows again there is a member on here that specializes in repair of these subs, he repaired a RW12d sub amp for me last year & it was a quick turn around for a very fair price.  contact @ngen33r if you need it repaired or read his repair threads for lots of good info on these amps & why they go bad.  

On 8/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, BretAB said:

Hi,

Sorry that no one responded, sometimes it takes a bit for a person with the knowledge to find posts on this forum.  I'm so glad that you found the answer!  This thread will help a lot of people in the future, so thank you for that!    Welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1