Chorus II/Academy stage, what reciever?

alkemyst

My dad is looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-27. My brother and I are trying to sway him to something like the Pioneer 1020, Onkyo 607/608 or Denon's in the $400 range. He has a bit of the bug in him just upgrading after years with a 27" CRT and an Onkyo all in one setup. He just picked up the Vizio 552 LED LCD last night and his Chorus II's today. He is looking for the Academy.

He is partial to Pioneer because his disc changer requires a Pioneer with the control port to use a remote.

I have a Quartet, Academy, RS-25 setup on a Yamaha 5890...it is loud if I want. He is just seeing all the buzzwords/features the SC-27 brings but I never think he will use them

He is going to have a bluray, cable box, vcr for old school, disc changer and thats about it. Not a heavy video switching need.

Any advice? Suggestions? Have an Academy for sale? :)

The Denon will give a warm sound to the Chorus II's but they deserve more power. A Denon with preouts and maybe a low use and affordable Acurus amp with 100 WPC or more would be nice. They will sound almost as warm as tube amplification without the pain in the a$$ that tube equipment brings to the table.

Keith

OK I am the dad. And I listened to the Elite and the 1020 at the Best Buy stereo room and I could tell a difference in the sound quality. But I would like to hear if anyone is using a Pioneer SC-27 or possible an SC-25.

And yes I want an Academy (preferably black, but oak is ok) for my center. I want to go about 250.00 plus shipping which I will prepay and insure thru my FedEx account. The seller just has to pack it good.

Well TV is up and the Chorus II's sounded really good on his Onkyo mini system running them temporarily.

Can anyone give a good breakdown of the pluses that the SC27 Elite will give over the 1020 Pioneer with an Academy/Chorus II/unknown surrounds/unknown subs (if any)?

Room size is 18x15 roughly but it's an open floorplan opening up to the dining and living room areas behind the listening room. Taller than standard ceilings as well. Maybe 10'? My dad will answer better. It's a nice sized room.

Can anyone give a good breakdown of the pluses that the SC27 Elite will give over the 1020 Pioneer with an Academy/Chorus II/unknown surrounds/unknown subs (if any)?

Well for starters, the Elite weighs about 17.5 lbs more. Which usually equates to a larger power supply and transformer. The Elite uses Wolfson WM8740 DAC's which are their top of the line. I believe the overall sound quality and the ability to drive the speakers without any strain or hiccups, the Elite is the right choice. With that in mind, it also comes with a huge premium($$$) over the 1020. If $$$ is not an issue, get the Elite. If $$$ is an issue, there are better choices out there for a little more than the 1020 but a lot less than the Elite. I believe a mid priced Marantz receiver will give him the musicality he wants and plenty of features also.

Bill