Interconnect Myth Busted

CapZark

Okay, I get it now. I will be calling Blue Jean and getting their interconnects. That seems to be a good balance between durablity, quality, and price. There's something about those China grade cables that's bugging me even if they do seem bullet proof.

OK, let's compare post counts...Devil

Yea well it took me about 6 or 7 years to realize what a waste of time this place can be... I love it and hate it at the same time.

I believe we are in agreement I just have no clue why I have to explain the dead obvious.... I was trying to be as graceful as possible to not step on toes of those spending hundreds and thousands on IC cables thinking they sounded better because they were "technically better"... while many of these mega buck cables can have awesome feel and build quality (a true joy to look at). In many cases they do sound different and it can be because they are technically horrible.

In many cases they do sound different and it can be because they are technically horrible.

Yes, sir. As I said, we are in violent agreement. As a water pipe that does its job doesn't change the taste, neither does a proper interconnect. The Romans rather liked the sweetness lead pipes added to their water. It also poisoned them and made them insane.

Hoping to find audio nirvana with kilobuck kopper is a form of madness. However, I hear there is a variety of copper only a few direct descendents of Inca priests can provide that makes Schoenberg good. The wire is hand made by virgins and has to be supported by bare breasts. Unfortunately, I can't get the PAW to lie still long enough to verify the claims.

Dave

Ah.... don't give up now - you haven't knocked your head against the wall enough to draw blood yet and that dead horse isn't even half beaten. I thought the resistor/capacitor comparison would surely get some traction and was a bit surprised how easily it was put aside. I guess if their function can't be readily understood, then explaining the nuances of cable and wire technology is a terrible waste of time. I'm sure there are better things to do but hey, I enjoy watching these debates spiral down the drain.

Ah.... don't give up now - you haven't knocked your head against the wall enough to draw blood yet and that dead horse isn't even half beaten. I thought the resistor/capacitor comparison would surely get some traction and was a bit surprised how easily it was put aside. I guess if their function can't be readily understood, then explaining the nuances of cable and wire technology is a terrible waste of time. I'm sure there are better things to do but hey, I enjoy watching these debates spiral down the drain.

What's up man. Having yourself supped at the table of snake oil you have decided to add a cynical cast to the discussion while rising above the fray. I see you have Bolder Cable, makers of some magic gizmo called the "In-Line Purifier" . That's so typical of the "spend-your-money-while-suspending-disbelief" approach to the audio cable marketing niche that it's not even funny.

Not that's not a personal attack on you. As you know I hold you in high regard as a thoughtful and knowledgeable person. This is simple sadness at that moment of weakness that lead you to a temporary bout of insanity. [:D]

As Craig has posited, I don't doubt that some of the games played with cables do in effect impart a capacitance and/or resistance to the wire to render a different sound. Probably something similar to cartridge loading in some preamp phono sections. However, cartridge loading/capacitance in a phono section cost mere pennies versus hundreds to thousands for cables.

Walk in Best Buy sometime and see what ordinary folks are laying out for overpriced stuff like Monster wire, add it up see how the millions of people who get sucked into this whole cable mythology and realize how consumers are getting bilked out of billions of dollars.

That's why I personally think there can never be enough cable threads. I can only debunk this stuff online, and maybe help the pockets of a few folks along the way. Even the vaunted Consumer Reports is too lazy or indifferent to keep a worthy eye out for the customer on this gigantic case of outright fraud. You'd think they at least do one report given they have a special totally RF free room they use for other testing.

No it's up to Dave and I , two devilishly handsome raconteurs to clean up this mess so a grateful public can go forth and buy commodious amounts of needed products like OxyClean.

Oh and you people saving dough on cables thanks to our efforts, and those of Captain Zark and other stalwarts, go buy some music.

But good music.

You don't want to get me started on wax presssings do you?

In many cases they do sound different and it can be because they are technically horrible.

Yes, sir. As I said, we are in violent agreement. As a water pipe that does its job doesn't change the taste, neither does a proper interconnect. The Romans rather liked the sweetness lead pipes added to their water. It also poisoned them and made them insane.

Hoping to find audio nirvana with kilobuck kopper is a form of madness. However, I hear there is a variety of copper only a few direct descendents of Inca priests can provide that makes Schoenberg good. The wire is hand made by virgins and has to be supported by bare breasts. Unfortunately, I can't get the PAW to lie still long enough to verify the claims.

Dave

All this time I thought it had to be supported by bare breasts of virgins! And to think when I was in Peru I turned down a great deal from those priests...

capzark,

i used an ordinary interconnects initially, but when this cousin of mine handed me the branded interconnects costing $15.0 , all of a sudden some of the bad things vanished from my music and it occured to me that the first interconnects were cheap metal , not conducting but resisting alot of music ,which , for now have a clear flow .

but thats just my experience .

i never turned back to cheap ones .

Unfortunately there is a difference but you won't find it with any 'manufactured cable'. I purchased exotics for years all crap except for one or two, learned what the secrects were and made my own. Each time I pit my cables up against anything else the difference is immediate. Sounds like bull but I tried to poor hot water on the crap that flies around until on stumbled on the secret. The secret: a great RCA plug that is all copper light weight and outer shell of anyting but metal and simple 2 or 3 strands of thick good quality copper twisted and soldered with a good quality silver solder all in a dielectric that is either cotton or teflon. Stay away from any cable that is shileded usually with all sorts of garbage...all it does is 'cushion' electron flow.

If you can't hear any difference don't be sucked in by what manufacturers say buy cheap!

Cheers

Unfortunately there is a difference but you won't find it with any 'manufactured cable'. I purchased exotics for years all crap except for one or two, learned what the secrects were and made my own. Each time I pit my cables up against anything else the difference is immediate. Sounds like bull but I tried to poor hot water on the crap that flies around until on stumbled on the secret. The secret: a great RCA plug that is all copper light weight and outer shell of anyting but metal and simple 2 or 3 strands of thick good quality copper twisted and soldered with a good quality silver solder all in a dielectric that is either cotton or teflon. Stay away from any cable that is shileded usually with all sorts of garbage...all it does is 'cushion' electron flow.

If you can't hear any difference don't be sucked in by what manufacturers say buy cheap!

Cheers

You had me until you mentioned silver solder.... what a pyle of bull that is.. you lost me a bit with your insistance on some spectaular shielding method... A good conductor material and good dielectric material (insulation) will for all intensive purposes elliminated any interaction with the shielding method.

Good old Belden is king in my book. The influence it has on the signal is measureable, zero black magic involved.

There is a lot of 'junk' solder out there, the best I have played with (strength, ease of use et al) contain silver...don't care if it's there or not. I have also wired up interconnects without RCA's, solder or a dielectric...it's tricky...and the sound changes again so dielectric does influence. I have used Beldon and Beldon Cat 5, not expecially wedded to it. Basically though a lot of mnfs put crap in cables...for what purpose is beyond me. Anyhow as I said don't get sucked in and let your ears do the work...sava da money!

There is a lot of 'junk' solder out there, the best I have played with (strength, ease of use et al) contain silver...don't care if it's there or not. I have also wired up interconnects without RCA's, solder or a dielectric...it's tricky...and the sound changes again so dielectric does influence. I have used Beldon and Beldon Cat 5, not expecially wedded to it. Basically though a lot of mnfs put crap in cables...for what purpose is beyond me. Anyhow as I said don't get sucked in and let your ears do the work...sava da money!

Ummmm Kester 60/40 anyone...last time I checked it was the #1 solder that professionals have been using for decades... as far as I know it contains zero silver. Silver is a total audiophile black magic thing just like gold RCA jacks! like the gold has some sonic benefit when its just a couple mills of plating on top of some very basic base metals... the only benefit is gold tends not to ozidize, but it sure seems to wear off quick.