Interconnect Myth Busted

CapZark

There is no doubt in my mind that my brief double-blind results with the DACT Dual Connects are repeatable. Studies have shown however, that the typical person off the street has so little experience with live unamplified music that they do not know or can describe what effects they are hearing. So trained listeners prove to be more reliable. I firmly believe that when educated as to what "more detail and less chest in the male vocals... imaging, and a delicacy ...greater extension of the bass... texture of the sax... cymbals stand out in the background. Drums imaged in space alongside the piano... almost no edge...and project image into the room" means, that trained listeners too will notice the same differences that I did.

Studies have shown however, that the typical person off the street has so little experience with live unamplified music that they do not know or can describe what effects they are hearing.

Indeed. And while I recognize and enjoy various wines, I am completely clueless as to the language and subtleties of the oenophile. If we spent enough time together and you spent some time on locations, then listening to the playback, you could probably learn to distinguish various mikes, patterns, placements, and such. However, do you NEED this?

To me, that is the big question of this whole thread. Am I really missing something because I can't tell cap a from cap b, or tube c from tube d, or cable a from cable e?

I don't have an answer to that question, but I have a strong belief it's up to the individual music lover to decide. Even then, those who listen largely to electrically produced and heavily mixed stuff, which is a LOT of music, probably wouldn't much care. I rather doubt those subtle differences, however significant on an Amati, would matter much on Midnight Oil at 100db.

In any event, I, for one, enjoy these little tempests each time they come up. I think this one has about Bonnied out on us...

Dave

Your argument this time is called a "straw man." It means you construct an artificial argument that was never offered, and then you knock it down. So, you've now gone from quips and annecdotes to straw men

Necessary when dealing with "red herrings". Earlier in this thread I asked whether out-of-band rolloff in cables could be affecting in-band audio phase. No one replied to that question. So, are you saying that is a possibility?

Necessary when dealing with "red herrings".

My turn to LOL. I've got red herrings stacked up in a store room from this and other debates in these pages. Kippers, bloaters, and buckling. I had some crackers I could eat forever...

Dave

For testing you would have to terminate each end into a pure resistive load. The terminations on your audio equipment are inductive, resistive and capacitive and different for every piece of equipment ever manufactured which would render your test results kaput. Then again are your equipment impedences 600.2 ohms or 598.3 ohms? You might as well be trying to find a cure for cancer.

JJK

...You might as well be trying to find a cure for cancer.

JJK

this IS a cancer of sorts... maybe too many swisher sweets and Boones Farm Strawberry Hill 25 years ago. I was partial to TJ Swan "Magic Moments" as it was about 50 cents cheaper... $1.79 if I remember. Maybe it was the amount of sulpher dioxide they put in those screw top bottles... I don't know... I'm more partial to tequila these days. I did catch the disease though... and how. My normaly dust and cobweb covered wallet seems to easily fly open for another audiogon purchase even just 1 hour after receiving my last UPS order. Well! I need to compare for myself, after all! Don't I?!

Experience matters... in multiple ways. One is that regarding how and what we hear I cannot ever truly know your experience, albeit in similar fashion if someone was to drop bricks on your head and mine I would guess that our experience would be similar (depends on how much tequila). I'm very interested in the science too and would probably want to know about the physics involved but most of all I just want to get out of the way of that brick. Another is that your listening experience matters to me. I can read and listen to the folks here tell of their experiences with different equipment, what music they like, what they don't like etc... I take this information to help make decisions about what equipment I am going to try. So far, I am elated! With my limited budget this will be a long journey but I could be done now (really, I could quit anytime if I wanted [;)] ) but while I might slow down I probably won't quit. Some results might wind up hitting me like a brick or on the other hand it might do that amazing stuff to my ears that makes my brain so happy sometimes!

Whether it is that $49 box, the AM radio in a 48 GMC 3/4 ton or a VW vanagon, or the BBX with your VRDs... all of those might have a good place in your memories or your future. I could enjoy listening to Dylan on any of these, happily still waiting for him to finally clear his throat on CD, vinyl, or that TDK 90 I recorded 30 years ago. Of course, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I really hope to hear him and many others someday on Mark and Craigs' creations!

All that said, without saying much, I find that all wire sounds better when it is plugged in. So, thanks for the advice and the great discourse... watch out for the bricks and keep plugging in!

Strawberry Boones Farm now that's a Drink LOL!!

Oh I don't know, I prefer Thunderbird, TJ Swann or Mad Dog 20/20 myself [;)]

Hi everyone! Yes, I have been away for a while. I've been busy with work, family, my mountain biking addiction and just listening to music. Hope all is well in tha land of Klipsch.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the BJ cables and while they are very nice quality and top notch construction they sound about the same as the Wal-marts. I also get a loud pop about 2 minutes after I power up that trips the internal breaker in my receiver that I never had with the Wal-marts. If this keeps up I'll go back to $5 cables and there will be some nice BJ cables on E-bay.

• 2 weeks later...

I never could get my reciever to stop going into protection mode with these high end cables attached. After all the banter, and all the tech heads, all the opinions, I'm done with fancy interconnects and speaker cables. It's all a bunch of hype and gimmick crap. Save your money and buy the cheapest ICs you can find. They all sound the same.

I never could get my reciever to stop
going into protection mode with these high end cables attached. After
all the banter, and all the tech heads, all the opinions, I'm done with
fancy interconnects and speaker cables. It's all a bunch of hype and
gimmick crap. Save your money and buy the cheapest ICs you can find.
They all sound the same.

I
meant to reply to this a while ago, but got sidetracked and totally
forgot about it until now....the behavior you describe sounds like
you're partially shorting the output of your amp. Did you have any stray
strands of wire floating around when installing it into the binding
posts? I've had so many people tell me that they connected it perfectly
only to come over to fix the problem and discover that the wire was in
fact shorting the amplifier. So with that in mind, I would strongly
recommend taking a closer look to make sure everything is wired properly
and cleanly.

And if your'e certain that the terminations aren't
causing a shorting situation, then I would call up Blue Jeans cable and
tell them what you're experiencing and get a replacement cable sent your
way since your cable would clearly be faulty otherwise.

I also
wouldn't rely on the protection circuity in the amplifier to keep
tripping. Something is seriously wrong and I would investigate the root
of the problem before you end up blowing stuff up...

Thanks for the advice Doc W.

I bought 5 cable sets and one by one I am going to isolate the culprit. All my other connections are sound and the system does not trip with the cheap cables so I know its one of the BJ cables. I just don't know which one it is yet. Like I mentioned, they are really nice cables for the $$, but maybe I am too old and tone deaf to hear any appreciable difference (they look cool though).