SACD wanted ~ visit my place

artto

Anyone in the Chicago area with a SACD player that would like to come over for a visit? I need to compare some discs for compatibility. My player seems to be having problems playing hybrid SACD/CD disc. I'm thinking of getting a McIntosh MCD201. But if this is just a hybrid SACD compatibility thing I would prefer just as well to keep the Shanling.

I'm not sure if all PS3s play SACDs but I know my 60gig unit does. I know on the side of the unit it has the SACD logo so it would be easy for someone to know if theirs plays SACDs by looking for the logo. Anyone in the area with a PS3 that can help out our friend?

I'm not sure if all PS3s play SACDs but I know my 60gig unit does. I know on the side of the unit it has the SACD logo so it would be easy for someone to know if theirs plays SACDs by looking for the logo. Anyone in the area with a PS3 that can help out our friend?

I have a PS3, but its the 80GB version which does not support SACD. Even so, I considered a PS3 version that does support SACD ~ until I turned it on to play a movie the other night. It has way too much whirring sound from the motor for my listening room's noise floor. I already have that to some extent with the Shanling and it's one of the reasons I'm considering selling it.

I personally think this is primarily a SACD hybrid disc problem. And I also think it has something to do with temperature and humidity, a dimension tolerance issue.

Why do I say this? The last few days I've tried a couple of SACD hybrid discs and they've played fine for the most part. They've cued up, play all the way through, and only one skipped a little before the end.

I also have a modest size model RR (same lower level of the house as the listening room). Recently I've had coupler disengagment problems and a few derailments.

What does all this have to do with potential dimensional tolerance problems on SACD hybrid multi-layer discs? It's been rather hot and very humid around here lately. I always have problems around this time of year on the model RR. I think the differences in temperature and humidity are causing the roadbed and track to move a bit due to expansion. The problems go away after a while after everything settles back in.

I even put a couple discs in the fridge for a while to see if that made a difference (it didn't). I also know that when I play freshly burned CD-R (still warm from the burn) on the Shanling they play fine. A few hours later afer they've cooled to room temperature I have same the same playback problem with them.

So James, I may take you up on your offer! I need another player or two to test this.