What's a good bang for buck set of subs (2) for Quartets?

alkemyst

Something good bang for buck or even DIY is fine, I have all the wood tools I need...even nice blades.

It's be nice under $500, but if not I would rather work that into the budget than go with something off.

If it comes down to it I will just build risers.

Something good bang for buck or even DIY is fine, I have all the wood tools I need...even nice blades.

It's be nice under $500, but if not I would rather work that into the budget than go with something off.

If it comes down to it I will just build risers.

Alkemyst,

That budget is awful tight for a pair of subs. I like the concept, especially with a non down firing pair of subs, since you already need the corner loading for your Quartets, you can also corner load the subs as well.

Roger

Total investment of $500 for two, you could get into a pair of used KSW-15s for that price. They are slightly wider at the bases then your speakers, but the rounded tops would require a slight overhang of your speakers. I think you would be alot happier with a pair of used RSW-15s if you could wait and save up for them.

Roger

Why do you need 2? I'd rather have one $500.00 sub than two $250.00 subs any day.

Never said they were going to be just $250 each if that's not what it's going to take. If I came in at $3000 then I'd probably hear why not upgrade the Quartets at that point. :)

I may need to DIY this as I need a base of about 16x13 roughly to support each quartet.

• Moderators

I am not selling mine, if anything I will build a second one.

I have a DIY sub that's in your budget (for 2 subs) and would raise your Quartet's up 11'' off the ground. I am not the only person here with this design, it's NOT like I made these up myself, this price is the cost for two subs, it does not include the amp, whatever you would choose for that.

BUT .....there's always a BUT isn't there.....there big in the other directions and would be way overkill for a pair of Quartets, BUT(the good kind) there in your budget. The only way it would work is if you wanted your Quartets sitting on a platform much bigger than there own footprint, OR you just built one and put it up against one wall, or two, one behind each speaker ?

The BUT part........there 11" thick by 45" X 48" flat but big, and strong enough to jump on with no problem.

I only said something because of the price and your budget, and you wanted to raise your speakers, the other person besides me to have these has them under a pair of jubilees and they have no problem keeping up. I use one of them with MWM's and they keep up and they play down to 17 Hz.

They will kill anything you could buy premade for $500. imo

Thanks...don't know if my riser idea will work as I really shouldn't raise them anymore than 7 inches.

I may just build risers and then do one of these cubes off to the right. A pair of subs would be a bit overkill and I doubt I'd get enough volume on the left side to get really deep.

In my opinion, the Sub-12 is one of the best bangs for the buck you're gonna get in the <$500 range....even when compared against DIY:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/synergy-sub-12-specifications/
It looks like it'll even meet your footprint requirements.

Btw, how much does a SPUD cost?

I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement, the Sub 12 is a good off the shelf subwoofer for the price but for $500 in the DIY world you can build yourself something the Sub 12 could not touch with a 10 foot pole.

The Sub 12 would probably make a good home theater subwoofer as it digs pretty low and hits hard but for music it gets muddy witch makes it hard to incorporate into most systems.

My advise is to get one good sub like mentioned earlier and find something else to raise your speakers to your preference or build one subwoofer to meet your needs and make a dummy clone for the other speaker.