corroded speaker wire? how to treat?

quadklipsh

Hi there .

I'm using a pair of van den hul wires about 6 feet each to connect the speakers .

But the ends seem to be ruff and dirty looking .they are now pathetically corroded. The

Original lustre and silkiness is gone . This wire I bought expensive . Now please tell what to do

In such situations ,where the wire needs cutting every 4 months . Ill be left with no wire pretty soon.

Is there a more conservaative method ?.???????

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can use DeOxit, but some 100% copper replacement wire will "sound" just as good and be even cheaper.

Any speaker wire that "sounds" better than another of correct gauge and pure copper has something wrong with it. JMHO.

Dave

Sorry to say but it sounds to me that the product you bought is defective in some way, or where you run the wires is exposed to great amounts of humidity and/or moisture.

I would contact Van Del Hul , tell them your problem and see if they stand behind their products.

If they don't, simply throw it away and buy simple 18, 16 or 14speaker wire almost anywhere. Well some believe that wires do make a difference, many of us here definitely do not. For a few bucks you can compare to the Dutch wire and be pleasantly surprised when you find their is no discernible difference.

Please see the interconnect debate currently ongoing here in 2 Channel for a greater explanation of the controversy, and snake oil, surrounding wires and cables.

I'd chunk the wire in the trash before the corrosion creeps into and ruins the connectors on your speakers and amp. Replace it with some wire from monoprice.com and kick your self when you realize how much you should have paid for wire in the first place.

thebes

i appreciate ur gesture for help.

if i remember correctly its was my own mistake that i used brasso and WD 40 to the the tips of my wires ,repeatedly over last few months ,perhaps twice in 6 months, thinking it would shine up the dirty ends and expecting it to be a better anti corrosive measure ,and also to get me the best of conduction.i didnot know it would corrode the wire itself ,and will not clean it up at all.......

my fault !

i sure find it surprising when i read that a relatively expensive wire does not make much difference compared to a standard 100% copper wire of the said guage .

to my ears , of the two wires that i finally have come to keep, have differences in bass and clarity . i find the VDH wires more neat sounding and detailed compared to almost similar priced Oelbach wire .

i would surely consider trying the pure 100% copper wire , the cheap one . and see where i go wrong .

thanks all

thebes

i appreciate ur gesture for help.

if i remember correctly its was my own mistake that i used brasso and WD 40 to the the tips of my wires ,repeatedly over last few months ,perhaps twice in 6 months, thinking it would shine up the dirty ends and expecting it to be a better anti corrosive measure ,and also to get me the best of conduction.i didnot know it would corrode the wire itself ,and will not clean it up at all.......

my fault !

i sure find it surprising when i read that a relatively expensive wire does not make much difference compared to a standard 100% copper wire of the said guage .

to my ears , of the two wires that i finally have come to keep, have differences in bass and clarity . i find the VDH wires more neat sounding and detailed compared to almost similar priced Oelbach wire .

i would surely consider trying the pure 100% copper wire , the cheap one . and see where i go wrong .

thanks all

i would surely consider trying the pure 100% copper wire , the cheap one . and see where i go wrong

You took that well. But let me emphasize...if a speaker wire makes your system sound better you need to check your SYSTEM. As mentioned in another thread, whether speaker wire or interconnect it should simply carry the signal without changing it, just as a water pipe shouldn't affect the taste.

To the extend that it does, it is either of poor or deliberately deceptive design.

"Cheap" interconnects, that is, dirt cheap, may not be good from a durability standpoint, but durability won't even cut into your beer money much less your music budget.

Dave

Ok, Brasso is a scouring agent, and WD 40 is akin to Liquid Wrench, it has some acidic properties and can corrode things. Soaking in Mineral spirits, or maybe rubbing alcohol should strip that off. Then clip and solder the ends, if you know how to solder,, hook it back up and see happens over time.

Also if you have an old lamp, or other busted electical appliance gathering dust, cut the electric wire (they call this stuff zip cord for some reason) and you can use it on one channel with the fancier stuff on the other channel and see what you hear.

Divide the budget in half: 50% going to new wire and 50% going to typing/grammar lessons. Man, I'm quite the bee-yotch tonight, eh?

I just sprayed ice'd tea all over my laptop!!! [:o]

I don't think English is the first language of our friend "Quadklipsch".

But it amazes me that I usually know what he's sayin'. [;)]

Dennie, who is grammar challenged and English is my only language! [:$]

There's a lot of elements that can cause corrosion to your wires.

The cleaning materials you are using will cause some of your oxidation issues.

As far as copper goes, well we've all seen copper plumbing oxidized. You can go to Lowes for example and see some of the copper plumbing stock with oxidization on it.

IF you do plumbing you know you have to clean the copper off before soldering. Usually an abrasive brush or sand paper is required to adequately clean it.

I'D CLEAN OFF THE OXIDATION OF YOUR PRESENT WIRES AND SOLDER.

And before I start any controversy...YES, wires do make a difference in sound quality. Not always in a positive way but they do and can sound different.

I've got some hig buck Tara Labs, Signal Cable, Audio Quest, and high end Monster speaker wire cables set up and there are definitely sq differences in it. Resistance alone in copper is enough to affect the sound of the wires. Long strand copper wires sound different than the cheapie lamp cord you can buy in bulk. I'm one to put the VOM to about everything when I use it. I've been surprised more than once in the resistance in wires of even 10' lengths.

I'm not saying the monitary differences are worth it, just saying different.

Fini
Where did I make grammar or spelling errors .
One thing I appologise, I typed and didn't re read what I wrote, I just pressed "post "
.so there has got to be mistakes .
English isn't my native language .
I'm a lahori .

Apologies for all of us, sort of. Most of those replying to you:

1. Spend way too much time here.

2. Have been here way too long.

3. Have opinions set in stone.

4. Have skins made of Kevlar.

5. Drunk half the time, stoned the rest.

OK, at least pick any three... [:P]

In any event, you are very welcome here and it appears you are good for at least number 4.

Dave