corroded speaker wire? how to treat?

quadklipsh

Heck, it wouldn't be any fun around here at all if we weren't ourselves...guys like you, Marty, Jacksonbart, et al (who's AL?), in particular. Audiophilia of the hornhead variety isn't for ******* and they should head for Audiokarma or whatever.

Dave

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for all of us, sort of. Most of those replying to you:

1. Spend way too much time here.

2. Have been here way too long.

3. Have opinions set in stone.

4. Have skins made of Kevlar.

5. Drunk half the time, stoned the rest.

Dave

5 for 5 here.

English isn't my native language . I'm a lahori .

It's ok.....

English is my native language.... I'm an A-hole.... (Ask my significant other [:D] ).

Yes, you definitely have taken the "forum" well..... [Y]

I think your cleaning process is directly related to your wires current condition......

(Follow Thebes' advice).... Good luck!

Fini Where did I make grammar or spelling errors . One thing I appologise, I typed and didn't re read what I wrote, I just pressed "post " .so there has got to be mistakes . English isn't my native language . I'm a lahori .

Apologies for all of us, sort of. Most of those replying to you:

1. Spend way too much time here.

2. Have been here way too long.

3. Have opinions set in stone.

4. Have skins made of Kevlar.

5. Drunk half the time, stoned the rest.

OK, at least pick any three... Stick out tongue

In any event, you are very welcome here and it appears you are good for at least number 4.

Dave

I think I am very close to 5 for 5 as well, with the extremely occasional exception for number 3, but only after a long tiring beating down combined with personal empiric exposure. Once again Dave hammers the nail.

english isnt native to me , pardon me , now carry on !

I meant my previous response as a compliment; and a bit of humor.....

Your english is very good... no need for "pardon me".

Smile

Yep, we've been nice too long! Okies, Quadklipsch, time to buck up. If you want to make us all feel really dumb and provincial, post in your native tongue and tell us what you REALLY think.

We'll look at it, drool, go get another beer, and act like we understood every word...just like we nod and agree "Wow, that's MUCH better..." when someone slips 500.00 bricks under their turntable.

Seriously, we like you. We REALLY like you. Now, let's get on with it...

Tell us what your system sounds like with standard copper wire.

BTW, those Celestions may need a bit more gauge than zip (16) gauge. Seems like they were ported, but I'd classify them as medium efficiency at best. I'd go with 12 gauge since cost really isn't an issue.

Dave

I'm a lahori .

By that I take it to mean you are from Lahore and probably speak Punjabi.

Namaste and welcome good Doctor.

Some of us here, who are mostly Americans and Canadians sometimes forget the internationality of the internet. But it's not atypical of Americans. One of my favorite jokes which I tell all visitors to our country goes like this:

Question: A person who speaks many languages is?

Answer: Multilingual

Question: A Person who speaks two languages is?

Answer: Bilingual

Question: A person who speaks one language is?

Answer: An American!

I think at this time you have to, again, clean up the wires, solder if you can, and see what is what. Trust me, it's a fun to try something on your system that doesn't cost very much. Try it and report back and tell you what you think.

Also, HarryO, a very respectable gentleman, does make some good points and is always worth paying attention to, especially when he praises me[:D]. As far as his belief that different wires can improve a system, well how do they say it in Punjabi. Oh yes, he was run over by a train and hasn't been the same since.

Long copper, short copper, oxygen free copper, silver, whatever, yes you can get some resistance over the length of the wire, but that's it. As far as I know, electrons are pretty stupid, because they only know how to swim in one direction, and they are not snobs, and don't care one wit if the wire you provided them cost pennies or pounds.

The acids and salts from your fingers contribute to the problem.

Wear gloves when stripping and see if the problem is reduced or eliminated.

????

We are talking about stinking wire here, not surgery. I love my equipment, but GLOVES? OK, whatever...

Dave

Even with salt, acids from fingers, moisture, etc... copper should not corrode that quickly, normally it takes years just to see minor green tint of the usual sorts.

Glad to see I'm not the only stoner / buzzard in the forum, thats when i really get into the tunes, after smokin a fatty.[6] My old boss called us the swim team because we always came back from lunch all red-eyed.

hey

i speak urdu punjabi and just a bit of english , my thread is not about shakespeare ,lolz. so come to the point .

and guess some of you asked how cheap 100% copper wire differed from these wires , i shall report to you the moment i do that test.

as for

malette. thanks for acknowledging celestions , but i neva mentioned that im currently playing them or not. they are just lying outside my room .they are a sweet speaker . i neva regret purchasing them. they sound nice and wooly . not focussed like klipsch or fostex in imaging .but are far more musical than klipsch SB3s ,that i once tried .

does larger ,thicker wire ,effectively sound better or enhance the bass or treble or something ?

how about using the thin stiff aluminum wire ,mono filament solid wire ,that is used for telephones ?

ill do this experiment as i find time but u guys can open up ur experiences to me .thanks

does larger ,thicker wire ,effectively sound better or enhance the bass or treble or something ?

No, sir, except in exceptional circumstances with very high power amplifiers. Simply a matter of plenty of room for the current. It only becomes an issue with very inefficient speakers requiring very high drive...100s of watts. We Klipsch heritage types don't have that issue and 16 gauge is more than adequate to carry enough current to cause hearing damage.

However, as I am not an engineer and 12 gauge isn't significantly more expensive than 16, just thought I'd mention it in case you were using a high power amplifer.

At an audio show a long time ago, the Phase Linear 700 amp was demonstrated lighting up 500 watt flood light bulbs. THAT's what I'm talking about...

Dave

once corroded , does the filament of the copper wire fully gets chemically changed throughout its depth, or is it just top layer getting green or grey, and brushable to the original form, without loss of conduction fluency as before .

also....does corrosion mean the wire has dirt on its surface only or does it screw up the whole wire in its thickness robbing it off its conductive fluency? (just putting it in another way ) ....

If the wire is corroded, it does not matter if just the outer layer is; or the entire wire down to the core.

It still will suffer because you will not have a solid connection.

Really, I do not mean to sound rude, but you seem a bit overly obsessed with this.

1. Cut off about an inch of wire, then strip and expose 1/3".

2. Twist tightly. (Wash and dry hands first, especially if you just performed an oil change).

2B. (Optional; in this case; RECOMMENDED) Flux; then solder the wire ends.

3. Connect tightly to your speaker inputs.

Do not clean your wire with solvents to make it pretty.

If your wire corrodes again, you should by cheaper 100% copper wire and repeat above.

If the new wire still corrodes, you have a serious humidity problem in your house, or someone is using caustic chemicals on your wire while you are sleeping to torture you. [:o]

There I go being an *** again.....[:P]

I genuinely do wish you good luck....

ironsave.thanks.

thats the end of wired issues ,from now on.i didnt realize the thread was only getting boring ,and that its just a f...n wire i was after ! but by now iv got more friends in this forum then 2 days ago and that makes me rich . and all these guys seem to be happy americans trying to help audio obsessed guys like me ,lolz .

thanks everyone.have a nice day .

i really appreciate ur tolerance for my repeated queries .

ironsave.thanks. thats the end of wired issues ,from now on.i didnt realize the thread was only getting boring ,and that its just a f...n wire i was after ! but by now iv got more friends in this forum then 2 days ago and that makes me rich . and all these guys seem to be happy americans trying to help audio obsessed guys like me ,lolz . thanks everyone.have a nice day . i really appreciate ur tolerance for my repeated queries .

Doc,

You of all people should know what a placebo is, and what the plcebo effect is. That is what you experienced in buying your wires and in feeling there was a difference in sound.

The guys are correct here, I have 10 gauge wire with 1/2 the strands pure copper, and the other 1/2 pure silver plated, with gold plated changable screw on ends and about a full inch between the possitive and negative wires. It sure looks neat and impressive, but it doesn't change the sound. An audio system is no better then it's weakest link. Look at the signal paths on the electronics boards in your reciever or other pieces of gear. Now go look at a voice coil. Your wire takes the signal from point A to point B. It only has to be better in conductivity then the weekest link in the system. The only thing you need smaller numerical gauge = larger diameter for is for high wattage over longer runs and that is it. Put the saved money from the wire into stepping up your speakers and you will see alot more performance improvement per money spent.

Finally, alot of us are not likely to give the best of a first impression, and understanding the language barrier can make for crossed signals, but the guys are truely welcoming you here, and I hope you stay long enough to understand that.

Good Luck.... Roger[:)]

You of all people should know what a placebo is, and what the plcebo effect is

Ah yes....the ol' placebo effect. Once upon a time it used to be alive and well in this guys house. Not anymore. I had to find some time to actually enjoy the music. [:D]