If Jim Beam......

jwc

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I do not use bourbon as my sipping whiskey. For sipping, I prefer a good Irish Whisky such as Jameson's, Tullymore Dew, Black Bush or Old Bushmills and also Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey

Picky, a friend of mine worked for a liquor dist, and knew I liked Crown Royal so he told me to try something different. He put a little ice in two glasses one with crown and the other with Lord Calvert, without knowing which was which it was hard to tell. The next time I was buying I noticed the price of the Lord Calvert, under $10 for 750ml, I was very suprised at the taste, if you ever have a chance try some.

Gotta weigh in on this one

JB - Small world- I have been Jonesing for the Mitchners American Whiskey for 8 weeks . The dam liquior storee is out and this has been bacfkordered for several months. Waiting not so patiently for the arrival

Knob creek rocks- My choice when available at a good price

Blanton- try this one

Jim beam- off my radar for the present- as Hank jr sang many albums ago

"I have loved some ladies- and I have loved Jim Beam- but they both tried to kill me in 1973"- been there and done that- trust me on this one

Oceans of sour mash on my log book. I will drink as long as I can-

Cheers friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg928gts: Yep, I've tried Bulleit Bourbon and it is very smooth. It's considerably sweeter than Jim Beam white or green label. It's about $25 bucks here in MI.

dtel: Thanks. I will give Lord Calvert a try sometime. You and Christy ought to come by and supervise the taste test at our place. :) -Glenn

Picky, I totally agree with you on BBSaphire Gin, by far the best in my book. Now on to the bourbons.

Knob Creek has been my go to for price/taste ratio. I really think MMark is not so great. Woodford Reserve is very nice and probably my favorite reasonably price bourbon is Basil Hayden what a fine drink. Recently I have been trying to save a buck or two and have stumbled upon Buffalo Trace. Wow, for the money it is hard to beat. If you are on a budget it is a must try.

I have not seen any Rum talk here. This is one spirit I think is really over looked, there are so many different countries that make it and so many different variants from white to really dark. The differences in taste and texture are really easy to pick out I feel making it a fun booze to experiment with. Some high end rums are some of the finest sipping spirits I have sampled and others are great for mixing up summer time pool drinks with complex flavors. 2, 3 and 4 different rums in one drink can really be fantastic. Check out Grog Log from Beach Bum Berry for a good primer on rum history and rum drinks.

BuffaloTrace_1.jpg

BBGrogLog.jpg

Well, some brand-ambivalent observations about whiskey in general...

My mom's side of the family were all the real deal Arkansas hillbillys. Mom said she'd never have gotten out except the CCC built a school bus road in from the highway during the depression. They were SO poor that the depression was a boon. When you have no money to start with, things getting cheaper is a GOOD thing.

Anyway, many still lived up there when I was growing up and I got an education from Uncle Roy, famous throughout the world for "Roy Canadian." [:S]

I became aware of the reason for Uncle Roy's prosperity (indoor plumbing and electricity) quite by accident. The well water in that area made Geritol completely unnecessary as it was so loaded with iron it would flow upward if you held a magnet over it. I went into Roy's kitchen one hot summer day and to my my delight saw a 3 gallon glass jug on a tilt stand sitting by the sink. It was filled with a crystal clear liquid that shouted "PURE REFRESHMENT." I grabbed a glass, filled it to the brim and poured it down. About half way through the glass, I became aware of a sensation in my stomach that, if converted to a visual, would have looked something like the slowmo images of an H-Bomb test in its early moments. I had heard of white gasoline and knew it was used in Coleman lanterns, but was clueless as to why Uncle Roy would have a jug in the kitchen.

About that time Uncle Roy wandered in, took stock of the situation, and ejected his false teeth in ROTFLHAO. To me, this explosion of mirth over the eminent death by poison of his nephew struck me as rather inappropriate, and I could only assume that it was an expression of his snake handling mountain religious joy at the prospect of observing my entry into eternal life.

Finally, he told me death wasn't eminent, and I'd feel MUCH better soon. I did. Actually, MUCH MUCH better. So, Uncle Roy proceeded to educate me about the family business. To avoid a long post becoming a miniseries, I'll omit the details. Main point was that:

1. Initial run was PGA and used for fuel, solvent, and very special occasions.

2. All the run between 110 proof and 160 proof they drank themselves and sold or bartered locally.

3. Everything below that they loaded in tanks in the trunks of Thunder Road specials that carried it to Hot Springs, Texarkana, Little Rock, and other markets.

They had learned to their satisfaction that low proof whisky neither tasted as good and left one with a nastier hangover due to impurities. "Taste" was a crossover point found between the fiery and tasteless PGA and getting into the lower point where there were too many impurities.

My lifetime takeaway: About 100 proof is minimum for me. It really tastes cleaner, and while it is very rare indeed that I drink enough anything to cause a hangover anymore, my experience appears to confirm my sainted (well, probably...) Uncle's homily on the subject.

Your milage may vary...but it will improve at the higher proofage.

Dave

Man, what a great story, David! LMAO! Thanks for sharing that one.

Regarding Rum, I can only recommend one that should be avoided by most. I don't think I have ever tasted any rum quite as bad as one that a friend bought in St. Maarten called: Big Black Dick. I am serious about the name. Relax: The real Big Black Dick was a guy, not a body part! But the rum is awful to me anyway. In fact, it tastes closer to a lousy whiskey and tastes almost nothing like rum to me. The maker calls it a "stiff drink". LOL -Glenn

post-10177-138196001853_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819618635422_thumb.jpg

Regarding Rum, I can only recommend one that should be avoided by most. I don't think I have ever tasted any rum quite as bad as one that a friend bought in St. Maarten called: Big Black Dick. I am serious about the name. Relax: The real Big Black Dick was a guy, not a body part! But the rum is awful to me anyway. In fact, it tastes closer to a lousy whiskey and tastes almost nothing like rum to me. The maker calls it a "stiff drink". LOL -Glenn

I wonder if the wife would enjoy it?

I wonder if the wife would enjoy it?

DUDE!

Alright. The next "gathering"....I'm gonna have a camera beamin' the IBSlammin to catch his party in action. It's overdue. I can't give credit to the Beam on that pic. Something else had come over me.

DrinksBeerParty!!!

jc

What? You must be thinking of someone else.....I wrote the book on "moderation in all things".[A][A][A]

tc

Alright. The next "gathering"....I'm gonna have a camera beamin' the IBSlammin to catch his party in action. It's overdue. I can't give credit to the Beam on that pic. Something else had come over me.

DrinksBeerParty!!!

jc

What? You must be thinking of someone else.....I wrote the book on "moderation in all things".AngelAngelAngel

tc

I've always believed in excessive moderation.

Trust me - there was NO moderation at the last SOuthern Klipsch gatrhering. A 500 dollar bottle of scotch went down like a sinking ship. Several other fiths were yesterdays garbage. There were rivers of beer. Moderation is for girlie men. If I end up on the hellbound train..at least i will be riding in the club car.

Another sip of black jack please...make it a double.[D] [Y] Work hard - play hard

Pushing a 100 and 90 proof humidity in Houston this weekend. Gonna grab a BIG jug of Knob Creek, some mint from the backyard, and make a SERIOUS mint julep in a stainless steel mixer like God intended.

Proof? He wouldn't have created this kind of weather without providing us the means to enjoy it...

Dave