Denon break-in period??

t-man

I've followed the debate a little on the controversy between the two factions that believe that speaker break-in periods either do or don't exist.

However, I now have my own opinion/question on how this applies to AV recievers...

When I first got my new Denon 1601, I wasn't initally all that impressed with the sound. Now that I've had it for about a month, it seems to sound better. Is this just my mind playing tricks, and simply becomming used to this new sound which is so different from my old Sony? Or, is the denon breaking in, and actually sounding better, than it did right out of the box.

Any input on this theory???

Thanks,

T-man

T-man,

I never heard that you had to break in an AV receiver, I bought recently a Yamaha DSP-A1 but nowhere in the manual is a reference to a break in periode. But I hope that you are satified with the preformance of you Denon receiver. One thing for suree you get used to the new sound. As long as it is an improvement your okay. biggrin.gif

I don't even want to get into this,but.....

There are those that say yes and those that say no.

I'm in the yes group.I know there are some differences between Denon models.I had the 2800 and bought the 3801 and the 2800 sounded better.The 3801 has better DACs and should sound better,but not out of the box.The same thng happened when I upgraded from the AVR-2000 to the 2800.

Electronics need time to"burn"in.Those that are found on some High End forums will say the same,including mag reviewers with new amps.

The manual won't say that.

The same goes for speaker wire.At least at my house.I upgraded wire and heard no difference at first.A month later I decided to get the old wire out and did some A/Bing.I could tell an improvement within the first few minutes of music.

I believe there is a "break"in period.Shame you can't buy 2 and run one for a month and then get the other one out.

IMHO!s>

I've observed different subjective responses by speakers and electronics, and concluded I'm fooling myself.

This is seized upon by those selling "break in" CD's etc.

I've never seen any industry or mil spec on the component parts which would imply there is any change in their performance over time.

BTW, are the margins on this section different?

Gil

talktokeith,

The KV2 is "adequate" for my set-up. I used to have an infinity kappa that imaged much better, and sounded much clearer. The sensitivity was still about 91 db, so it could keep up well with the 3.2s, but I thought I would need a better match with my mains for DD and DTS. I'm still pleased overall with the purchase. It's does match perfectly for music sources, and it looks good with my speakers. Considering I sold my 7 year old Infinity on Ebay for $420, I can't be upset about the trade. I noticed that the reaplacement parts for the KV3 are identical, except for the larger drivers. The tweeters are the same. Not sure what difference in output for HT (with speaks set to small) would do for me, since the tweets are the same, and the bass all goes to my sub anyhow. Anybody have input on this? I guess my only other choice would be to go with the Academy, but for the price, the KV2 seems to be adequate. BTW, a week ago, somebody got a nice OAK KV2 on Ebay for $150, locally here in Chicago. Doh!!

William,

Margins? Not sure what you are talking about.

t-man, there is one thing I can definitely you and that is that the KV2 should blend very well with the KG's.It was designed to work with them.You could get a KLFC7 and the first thing you'll notice is that it overplays the heck out of the KG's.Then you'll just back it down several DB's to match the output of your KG's and you'll get

a tonal match that is not as good as the KV2.

I have seen first hand the sound difference in various Klipsch lines and it is somewhat amazing.For instance using the C7 with KSP's

the sound from the C7 is great.Good bass,sort

of a slight coloration toward the low end.

Then, trying the KSFC5 center that was optimized for the KSP300's the tonal difference is surprising.Clearer vocals,less

low end (maybe percieved)and I could immediately tell how much the C5 just blended

with the fronts to create kind of a "seamless

sound stage".(Don't you just hate to use those cliches?)Anyway the high dollar C7 is in storage along with the KG5.5's (I still love it-great center)so I guess what I am saying to you is that what I noticed was not so much the difference while using the C7 with the KSP's but the immediate audible difference when swapping from the C7 Legend center to the KSPC5 center with the KSP300's.

It appears those guys at Hope know what they are doing.Be careful with the center speaker choice.BTW,if you find an Academy how about getting two of them and sell me one.I'd

like to add it to the collection.Next-Belles.

Keith biggrin.gif