Best Sounding CD or LP in your collection...

gaspr

We haven't had one of these threads for a while and since very few seem to frequent the "Movies and Music "section, I thought we might try this here.

My current fave is "Rosanne Cash - The List" simply fantastic recording and production quality and arrangements. Credit to her husband John Leventhal...

Let's hear your nomination.

• Like 1

Great Idea for something different...

I really have enjoyed the LP that Norah Jones put out last year.

Excellent recording, latest recording techonolgy for vinyl..

(I'm a regular with RTM, therefore I have a picture to share)

DSC_0333.jpg Norah Jones (2009) picture by Boxx44

Norah Jones

THE FALL

There's a good many. Steely Dan's Aja, Rush's Moving Pictures. These are 2 that are very good production.

There are 2 productions of live concert material that are surprisingly good: Genesis' Seconds Out and Santana's Moonflower.

I agree with your choice of Moving Pictures. Excellent engineering... oh, by the way, go Horn's. TXEX

Rush Moving Pictures, one of the great concerts of the past, i miss being able to see good concerts for $15.00.[:(]

One of the newer recordings i have been enjoying is Jack Johnson's In between Dreams, come to think of it all the Jack Johnson albums seem to be recorded well.

This was on the Moonflower album by Santana:

The videotape is not nearly as good as the sound recording. For the sound recording, go to iTunes.

I just love the bongo and drum separation, the guitar fuzz and the way the keyboard trades leads with the guitar. All this does wonders at high volumes through Klipsch.

I am a bit behind in my Music Matters subscription but at 45 RPMs and 180g with superb work on the part of MM Search for the New Land is hard to beat. I just wish I had time to listen to more of them. I have several still in the shipping box unopened. Most are really nice some like this offering are out of this world.

LeeMorgan_mm.jpg

From MM site:

Only his untimely death in 1972 kept him from challenging Freddie Hubbard as the top jazz trumpeter of the 1970s. While Morgan's boogaloo recordings were very popular, Search For The New Land has one of his finest hours. Recorded right after The Sidewinder, Search For The New Land introduces five of Morgan's most challenging compositions, has him leading an all-star sextet (with Shorter, Grant Green and Herbie Hancock) and features him playing stirring and intense solos that rank not only with his greatest work but the most creative trumpet solos of the mid-1960s.

I am a bit behind in my Music Matters subscription but at 45 RPMs and 180g with superb work on the part of MM Search for the New Land is hard to beat. I just wish I had time to listen to more of them. I have several still in the shipping box unopened. Most are really nice some like this offering are out of this world.

LeeMorgan_mm.jpg

From MM site:

Only his untimely death in 1972 kept him from challenging Freddie Hubbard as the top jazz trumpeter of the 1970s. While Morgan's boogaloo recordings were very popular, Search For The New Land has one of his finest hours. Recorded right after The Sidewinder, Search For The New Land introduces five of Morgan's most challenging compositions, has him leading an all-star sextet (with Shorter, Grant Green and Herbie Hancock) and features him playing stirring and intense solos that rank not only with his greatest work but the most creative trumpet solos of the mid-1960s.

I just checked it out for the heck of it. The song "Morgan the Pirate" reminded me of

It would be tough to narrow down ONE best, but I have DVD-As of Blue Man Group & Steely Dan *Gaucho" that are excellent, as well as SACDs of the Yellowjackets "Time Out" and Monty Alexander's "My America" that are very good as well. I'd end up having to list at least a dozen to be fair~

Another top dog is the japanese pressing of Apostophe by Frank Zappa. Matthews might remember it cranking through Dave's Khorns.

Yes, I do, Oldie. It is good. What you've been missing, though, is "50/50." You MUST hear this one. Excellent jam. It is on Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation. There are some other versions, but the one on Overnight Sensation rules.

I just checked it out for the heck of it. The song "Morgan the Pirate" reminded me of

Ha! good one, do you mean 54 not 45 seconds in where you find out that Quincy is dealing on the chick, no some dead body and the horns start to blow?