Best Sounding CD or LP in your collection...

gaspr

Based on the comments in this thread I picked up Rush - Moving Pictures and Steely Dan - Aja over the last couple of days. Agreed... Both excellent!!!

I'll add James Taylor - Hourglass as one of my "go to" CDs. In particular track 4 - Gaia. Whoever says that La Scalas can't make any bass has never listened to this track on a pair of La Scalas. [:D]

I'll also nominate Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms on SACD. I don't have the means to listen to the 5.1 channel mix but the 2 channel mix is VERY nice. Come to think of it I have a couple of "stand out" SACDs. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road both come to mind.

I'd have to say that the "favorite" is the SACD. It's very very good. The CD I keep for "background" play when I'm not going to be sitting down to listen. It usually gets played with the BD player to keep the hours down on my main CDP.

The album is pretty much only around for "sentimental" purposes. It's not in very good condition at all. It has been played a LOT of times, quite often when neither myself nor my friends had any business trying to operate a turntable [D] much less making the effort to take care of the vinyl. [:$]

a couple "redbook" cds that sound great come to mind:

Hotel Child- Ingrid Lucia and the Flying Neutrinos -great drums on 1st track, great sound throughout

Migrations- The Duhks - in a darkened room "who will take my place" sounds hauntingly like it did live

Tijuana Sessions Vol 3- Nortec Collective -my favorite Mex/techno, no really, give it a chance!

for regular CDs:

ANYTHING Diana Krall CD seems to have been recorded well and sound great...

John Mayer Room for Squares and Heavier Things and the newest Battle Studies...

Norah Jones The Fall and with the Peter Malick Group sound wonderful...

Dave Mathews Band...all of them...clean and crisp...(and I'm not a big fan but I'm just sayin' [:P]

The Jayhawks Smile...

Bill

+ one on Nora Jones and Al Diemola

XRCDs--Robert Lucas- Luke and the locomotives/Mighty Sam Mcclean-give it up for love

Any CD on telark records

Original Master CD- The all time Greatest hits of roy Orbison

Red Book- mark knoffler-Golden Heart/johny Lang-Wander this world/Lucienda Williams- Car wheels on a gravel road/Grevious anget- Tribute to gram parsons

Vinyl- Tom Petty- Mudcrutch box set- Abbey road 1/2 speed master-Seeger 7-Bob Seeger

I spent a couple of hours listening to this one the other night and the soundstage and dynamics are just fantastic. I turned out the lights and just got lost in it.......

51T8IjYKAsL._SS400_.jpg41dPV9FAkkL._SS400_.jpg

It's the 30th Anniversary edition and one of my favorite albums! Is it the best sounding? I don't know, but it sounded great!!!

Dennie

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the comments in this thread I picked up Rush - Moving Pictures and Steely Dan - Aja over the last couple of days. Agreed... Both excellent!!!

I'll add James Taylor - Hourglass as one of my "go to" CDs. In particular track 4 - Gaia. Whoever says that La Scalas can't make any bass has never listened to this track on a pair of La Scalas. Big Smile

I'll also nominate Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms on SACD. I don't have the means to listen to the 5.1 channel mix but the 2 channel mix is VERY nice. Come to think of it I have a couple of "stand out" SACDs. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road both come to mind.

Regarding "La Scalas don't make bass" -- those folks have also never played Porcupine Tree's "Metanoia" or anything by Bela Fleck, especially "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo." I haven't been through everything those two artists have done yet, but I have yet to find anything that sounds less than fantastic in either of their libraries.

I'll add James Taylor - Hourglass as one of my "go to" CDs. In particular track 4 - Gaia. Whoever says that La Scalas can't make any bass has never listened to this track on a pair of La Scalas. Big Smile

Regarding "La Scalas don't make bass" -- those folks have also never played Porcupine Tree's "Metanoia" or anything by Bela Fleck, especially "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo." I haven't been through everything those two artists have done yet, but I have yet to find anything that sounds less than fantastic in either of their libraries.

When I hear "La Scalas don't make bass", I have to wonder if they are all original and 30 years old? Once I updated my crossovers, the bass came to life! With music, they sound fantastic without a sub, but for movies, a subwoofer really helps fill in the bottom end. IMHO!

Dennie