switching the postive and negative

The Dude

Just wondering what would happened if somehow my tweeter positive and negative got switched at the crossover or at the speaker when I wired it up. The reason I ask is it seems that the right has brighter highs than the left, I should mention that I had recently replaced the right diaphragm, and had replaced the left about a year ago. Well I replaced both and the right went out again and had to be replaced. I know some say that there is a break in period others say no. Could this be the deal.

Thanks

Nick

I can't completely follow the history, but I'd say the following: "wired up wrong" might mean wiring out of phase, which can make one driver sound brighter if its lower-pitched frequencies are cancelled out by being out of phase. Speaker break-in can also tame initial brightness, but the relief from that should show up over a 50 (or so) hour period. Identical drivers should sound the same, once broken in.

Out-of-phaseness is tricky, because not only should a pair of drivers be in phase with each other, but in phase with sister drivers. For example, tweeters should be in phase with midrange drivers, so be sure to reverse the correct tweeter if that's the problem.

I go by whether two drivers blend with each other -- as opposed to "fighting" each other where the output seems to jump from one to the other when you move your head around. I'd do the head-movement deal between the two tweets and between the tweet and MR on each side, and aim for max blending all the way around.

Larry you hit it right on the nose sorry about the goofy explanation of the history. About a year ago I replaced both, here recently the right went out so I replaced it for the second time. If that makes any since. I will wait about a month to see if I notice any difference, if not I think the left one is out of phase, or maybe something is wrong with that one too. I will take me my time a wait and see.

Thanks

Nick

To check if it's wired out of phase check for the painted dot on the k77 and make sure the red wire corresponds to the red dot on the tweet.

What tweeters do you have in your CWs Nick? (M or V)

Square magnets, and I am pretty sure I matched up the red dot to the red wire, I am just worried that I might have set the diaphragm wrong.

For some reason I'm replacing too many diaphrams lately. Granted I go through a lot of speakers but it seems like I'm seeing WAY TOO MANY bad or weak diaphrams.

IF/when I change only one and I have an output difference I will switch drivers from cabinet to cabinet. I'm finding a lot of it is in the crossovers.

Try swapping L-R and see if it follows the swap.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if the newer replacements are just not manufactured evenly or even with quality as in the past..

I check DSR after I replace diaphrams and see quite a difference in a few of the replacements.

I'm no expert and don't have the high end test gear or knowledge of some here but I think I am covering the basics.

I also ran into my first bad driver lately that had low output. A K-52-K. I tried 3 different diaphrams on it and the results were all the same.

Food for thought.

Harry

The tweeter diaphragms I have been getting for my k-77, are old stock so I don't know if that could be a problem. But the first time I replaced them both, I just purchased the speakers and both were out. The second time I think it was a spike in the system, but like I said I don't if it was because they were old stock from 10 years and maybe there is some dry rot or something like that.

If I get spunky maybe I will try switch from r-l and see what happens. Maybe it is time for the crites c-125.