Outlaw 2200 vs. Adcom 5500

jdm56

OK, I'm looking at high-value, high wattage amps here. I can get a pair of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for $700. Don't know if shipping is free or not. On the other hand, J&R has the Adcom GFA-5500 on sale for $838, delivered. Both are rated 200W @ 8 Ohms, cont. The Outlaws, if you are not familiar with them, are a "class G" design, which I'm a little iffy on. I'm not sure if they would sound as good as I know the Adcom would. They would be driving a pair of somewhat higher than average efficiency speakers of the "direct/reflecting" kind [:o] at everything from a whisper to full tilt boogie levels. I'm a little concerned about whether Adcom will be around in the future -if that matters- as they seem to be of mighty low profile lately. Anywho, just lookin' for opinons; especially if you have any experience with the Outlaws.

Thanks,

Doug

Hey Doug,

I have an Adcom GFA 7607 and a GFA 555 and they are both rock solid amps. I would not hesitate to recommend them. As for the Outlaw 2200 Monoblock Class G amp, I've only heard (or read) that if you are into "Critical Listening", these are not what you want. If your running a Home Theater, they can really put out, but not for 2 channel music. I have not used them myself, mainly for that reason.

So, my vote out of the 2 choices, is for the Adcom.

Dennie

Thanks, Dennie. That's kind of what I thought might be the case.

I have looked at the Emotiva XP-2, which looks like a heck of a value on sale for $719. 300W/channel! But it's 19" deep and my cabinet is only 18.5, so no go.

I've always liked the sound of mos-fet amps anyway! I know the 5500 adcom is built like a tank, too.

More opinions / ideas welcome!

I have a 10 year old Adcom GFA-5500 still running strong, great amp with great sounds, try to stay away from the Adcom preamps though, i have had a few and none have been that great.

Since i cant recall ever hearing the Outlaw there is no way i could compare the two.

Looks like a great price for the Adcom, i paid more than $1000 for mine but then again they were fairly new to the market back then.

...just ordered the adcom gfa-5500 from J&R. I used Google checkout and it knocked the shipping down from $38 to $29 for some reason. So I've got that goin' for me. Sale price was $799. Not too shabby, I think. Ought to make the 901's set up and take notice.

...just ordered the adcom gfa-5500 from J&R. I used Google checkout and it knocked the shipping down from $38 to $29 for some reason. So I've got that goin' for me. Sale price was $799. Not too shabby, I think. Ought to make the 901's set up and take notice.

Congratulations Doug! That seems like a great price and it is always good to save on shipping.

Keep us posted and try to keep yourself busy, as waiting for delivery can drive a guy crazy!!! [:S]

Dennie

Thanks!

I see in your signature that you have a Pioneer Elite A/V reciever. I've got a 55TXi myself. I've had it for six or seven years. After some early problems that were fixed under warranty, it's been good. I've been thinking lately I should upgrade to something with HDMI and video upconversion, but everytime I start looking, l read about some new whiz-bang, gotta-have-it feature that's either only available on the cutting edge ($$$) or will be included on NEXT years lineup ...so I wait. I just recently read about cat-5 connections possibly replacing HDMI. In fact there was a thread here about it, which is where I learned. So I guess I'll wait a little longer. How has your '41 performed?

I have owned the following Adcom amp's all of which have been connected to my forte II speakers: Adcom GFA 555 II, Adcom GFA 5500, I currently own and would recommend the Adcom GFA 5802. It retailed for $1,900.00 and one can be found on eBay, or Audiogon for about $700.00-$850.00 used. Big brother of the 5500 which is no longer made. 300 WPC into 8 ohms, 450 WPC into 4 ohms. Best Sounding Adcom amp that I have ever owned. If you like the sound of the 5500, you will love the 5802. Stereophile magazine did a review of this amp and the matching pre-amp in 1999. I cannot remember the month, but am sure you could find on the web.

Thanks!

I see in your signature that you have a Pioneer Elite A/V reciever. I've got a 55TXi myself. I've had it for six or seven years. After some early problems that were fixed under warranty, it's been good. I've been thinking lately I should upgrade to something with HDMI and video upconversion, but everytime I start looking, l read about some new whiz-bang, gotta-have-it feature that's either only available on the cutting edge ($$$) or will be included on NEXT years lineup ...so I wait. I just recently read about cat-5 connections possibly replacing HDMI. In fact there was a thread here about it, which is where I learned. So I guess I'll wait a little longer. How has your '41 performed?

Hey Doug, The VSX-41 has preformed flawlessly from day one. I added outboard amps years ago and I just use the 41 as a processor and I really like it and it's features. I'm in the same boat as you, when I think about upgrading, it gets so complicated, I don't. My Oppo up-converting DVD player has HDMI and so does my projector, so I'm covered. I just can't find a reason to change anything and it's a great place to be. [:D]

Dennie