Advice for an amplifier

kaank

I purchased a pair of Klipsch RF82 speakers few days ago. I use my Yamaha AX 496 to power them. What could be a better amplifier to have a clearer and less harsh sound. I am a music listener, I use my speakers for that purpose only...

Thanks

Kaan

Modern tube amplifiers are designed to provide a very flat frequency response across the audio band, or even beyond. So, the thinking is that any kind of tone control will detract from the quality of the sound. I'm sure that there is also a cost consideration- implementing sophisticated tone control circuitry definitely adds to the cost of the amplifier. But, with the RF82s, I can't imagine that you should run into any problems which can't be fixed by varying the speaker position slightly, or playing around with various types of sound absorbent materials (like books, carpets, etc.). Best of luck, and please post after you make the changes!

Cayin is another company whose amps have received very favorable reviews. They also provide great value for the cost. Are there any dealers/distributors near you who would allow you to take home an amplifier to audition in your system? I presume that you are not in the US based on the metric room measurement that you provided. Here, some distributors offer a 30 day money back guarantee on equipment purchased. It's a wonderful way to be absolutely sure that what you buy will satisfy your needs.

I am from istanbul Turkey. Cayin dealer here will show me a demo on their system. Unfortunately they will not give me one to take home and test it on my own speakers. I think I will go with the one I sent you the details of. I really hope this works fine. All the feedback I got regarding this tube amp is very positive. They say it is a great tube amp for the price and performance. it's about 1.600 euros, around 2.000 dolars.

thanks bunch for the tips you provided...

I'm sure that this amp will work well. 40 watts/channel is plenty of power unless you plan to listen at ear damaging volume levels. You will also have fun trying it in triode mode. The sound, when used that way, is very different from ultralinear- much smoother through the midrange and high frequency range, but with somewhat softer bass (as you will find out when you listen to it at the dealer). Please post your impressions after getting the amp!

well here is the deal dear tube fanatic.

i didnt even end up going to the dealer. i asked them to bring it over to my place for purchase. they did a great price. they hooked it upto my rf82s. the guy brought two kinds of speaker cables. one american made, starts with leter m i think. 400 euros. looked pretty complicated. i kindly asked the gentleman to hook up the other silver wire made in holland. he said you will buy the expensive one. i said not now. i know i will.

it is interesting how the cayin warmed about 30secs or so to light up the blue light on the volume knob. unfortunately i have a huge 320kpbs bit rate of mp3s.i had to play them on my macbook pro. the guy was a little upset to see that. i said well i will set up my cd player later, lets hear them right away.

it is probably the most crisp and robust sound i ever heard and listened in my life. i tested different genres of music from dire straits, miles davis, diana krall, tracey thorn, jobim, keith jarrett, snoop dogg, royksopp and so on. i made sure i played some high kpbs mp3s because the quality btw lower and higher bit rate music is too obvious in these speakers.

I am not even mentioning the ultralinear and triod mode. They both sound great on different music styles.

I think I will have to invest some money in a decent cd player now.

Thank you for all the help. You spent time to help me make my decision.

Did I mention the white gloves came with the box to hold that beautiful cayin tube.

Thanks bunch

kaan

don't know the Mac, but on Windows PCs you can get uncompressed music and digital to audio converters (DACs) that can compete with expensive CD players

Love the Cayin tube amps

Now you need a big subwoofer to help out with the deep bass

hello colin,

klipsch rf82s have some really strong and deep bass. I am not sure if I need a sub for that reason.

can you give some brands names for the digital-analog converters...

I wanted to buy a cayin cd player today but I gave up for now because of the 1000euro price tag.

what will you recommend?

thanks

kaan

• 2 weeks later...