Emotiva UMC-1 MOD

InVeNtOr

yep it's true, i got my grubby hands on a brand spank'n new umc-1 and tore it apart even before i put power to it. the mod was real simple and quick. i changed out the IEC inlet for a gold plated one. i liked the gold one better because it mates up and matches my gold plated connectors (Oyaide 079). i did change out the ground wire, because it was easier. i replaced it with the same monoprice 12awg wire i had through out my entire set up. i also used all gold plated disconnects.

taking the umc-1 apart was quite easy. i did call and ask first and i was shocked they said they were okay with it. i didn't even void my warranty.

here are some pics.........

here is the gold iec installed. as you can see the HDMI card is still out. btw, all umc-1 owners, your umc is not hdmi 1.4! at a later date and extra money you will have to send your umc back and have them install the card. i for one, will ask if they can ship it to me. it was real simple removing it so i see no need in allowing someone else do it for me. updating the umc is easy too, so again, i won't need there help with it.

post-23806-1381960027378_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618734726_thumb.jpg

the orginal iec inlet has screws and nuts holding it in. well that sucked because i had to take it apart to remove it. so i used some hardware that i had. these are nut clips. now when i install the new gold iec inlet, if there are any issues or i want to replace it with something else, i simply remove the screws and it comes out. very easy and quick.

post-23806-1381960027479_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618735866_thumb.jpg

the one wire you see connected is the new ground wire. it has the new gold disconnect on it too. i used a regular 12awg yellow lug to reconnect to their ground point. i did mark the wires so i knew which one goes back where. i ended up taking off the red protection boot and put the umc blue boot back on. it's in later pics.

post-23806-1381960027579_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618737146_thumb.jpg

this pic is an up close pic of the bottom ribbon you have to remove before the HDMI card comes out. it's tricky to get too. i don't recommend using anything sharp or even a flat head screwdriver. use your finger nail if possible. the clips come off rather easy. you have to loosen one side then another. getting it back on was of course harder. over all not too difficult, but i would take my time.

post-23806-1381960027785_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618739256_thumb.jpg

this is the grounding point i used for my new RCA cables i made. i checked with a meter and this point is grounded to the ground lug on the middle pin of the iec inlet. i wanted to use the same ground but to do that i would have had to alter the umc and i really didn't want too. i was going to put in a double sided bolt for the grounding point, but again, didn't want to physically alter the unit. this works just as well and wouldn't cause any issues if i ever resale it.

the RCA cables i made where the blue cable (in my power cable kit). they are a twisted pair, silver plated conductors and shield. they have a capacitance of 13. very small cable, very flexible, and works better (in my application) than monoprice. i got a much cleaner sound and way more bass with these over monoprice. i did the listen test with the older gear before i made the switch. i have the white conductor as center, blue as outer, and i have the shield going straight to that ground lug. so now my cables are true directional.

post-23806-1381960027878_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618740316_thumb.jpg