tragusa3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month or so with the "new to me" LaScalas and I thought I'd report in again. Every time I listen it gets better. They seem to have no limits, or at least my personal limits are reached before the speakers.

Wanted to share our experience last night. We watched Madonna's "Sticky and Sweet" concert on Bluray. I was a fan when she started out, but lost interest as she become wilder and wilder. We had a fun time with this one though!

The Danley subs and LaScala MADE the experience. The audio quality was top notch, it was simply POUNDING and ABUSIVE eek.gif, and the LaScala kept pace with everything the big Danley's could throw out. At one point we took a break and my wife and I both commented that our skin was tingling and crawling from the audio onslaught. If you poured a beer on the ground, put a fan in your face and closed your eyes, you would be convinced you were at the stadium. Madonna at 120db in your own home is incredible.

Horned speakers are often described as having a "big" sound, and I would encourage any of you that this concert played right into that strong suit better than any movie I've heard. If you're remotely a fan, you'll enjoy your Klipsch with this one. biggrin.gif

I'm more convinced now that these LaScala will be long term in my theater than I was the day we got them.

I didn't say "room filling" I said, 'POUNDING AND ABUSIVE' And I literally meant it. LOL :) You know that feeling after sitting in a vibrating massage chair too long? It took like a half hour for my skin to calm down and stop tingling.

I'm sure other's have more scientific ways of determining if their system is successful, but I go by the seat of my pants, and it was telling me "Good, very good!"

One thing I have to do is resist cranking it like that when giving room demos. I'm finding more often than not it is just shocking to people and turns them off.

• Moderators

but I go by the seat of my pants, and it was telling me "Good, very good!"

Good deal, from what women say that's where our brains are anyway. [;)]

And yes it could shock people easily, I love to see people jump at surprises in movies. People are not expecting it to be lifelike and to also feel the sound effects. [:P]

Tony I'm glad you're getting it all dialed in and sounding good. It was good to meet you and nice showing off my system a little to someone who can appriciate it. I was wondering about you thoughts on my upa-5 stacked up against you're xpa-5 that you are running.any noticable gain with a little more power? Also if you could tell much diffirence between my Khorns and you're lascalas? I know the rooms are a lot different ,but i think the systems are pretty simular or should sound pretty close?

Hey there Joe. Good to hear from you!

I enjoyed the demo in your room as well. Wish it could have been longer, but I had that drive ahead of me.

It might be difficult to compare our sounds, as there are so many variables. First, your listening position is closer to the fronts and the fronts are much wider apart than mine. You have a "near field" experience. It's easier to hear where sounds are coming from. Mine is more of a "wall" of sound. In some ways I prefer your sound and in others mine.

I would say the Khorns do perform better than the LaScalas. But it's hard to say, as our subs are playing a big role. You have more low bass rumble than I do, but I have more mid bass punch.

I hear no reason you should consider the XPA5. I bet it wouldn't make any difference to you.

You remember that little piece of veneer that was loose? Well, when I went to pull it out of my truck, the first thing my hand hit was that corner. The veneer came off. No biggie, it's not seen. Just disappointed I did that.

Remember, any time you are in the Greenville area, give me a call.

tony

DrWho, the only processing I have is Audyssey MultEQ in my Integra 40.1. It gives noticable improvement, but not much flexability. It's either on or off. No tailoring.

I have kicked around the idea of getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Parametric EQ). It seems to be the inexpensive choice for guys wanting some control. I think I would prefer to have a curve that is slightly elevated in the 30hz and under range. In fact, I should have the ability to stay elevated way down to below 20hz. It's that shake the room frequencies that I'm lacking.

I know from most things I read on these forums, my pair of DTS10's should be performing better. Do you think processing could be what I need? What would your suggestions be?

For the longest time, one of my long walls was simply sheetrock over studs with no insulation or sheetrock on the other side of the wall. I filled those cavities with R13 and it made a noted improvement in my extension. I wonder if closing that wall on the other side with sheetrock will have an equel effect?

• 1 month later...

Got an update here... I sold the KL650's and that's given me the funds to try a different path for my surrounds. Just tonight I picked up a pair of Heresy for the rear surrounds. They were 30 minutes from the house and at a fair price. I've got to say that the condition just couldn't be any nicer! See what you think. Do you see Heresy I's come up much in this condition? They came with the stands too. The bolts for the stands are still stapled to them in a plastic bag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tonal match with the LaScala was an immediate improvement. Moreso than I anticipated.

I consulted with the East Coast Sales Rep for Klipsch in regard to a dipole side surround, and his suggestion was that the RS62II has the most horsepower to run with the Heritage line. I really wanted to go in wall for the sides, but he (Frank) cautioned me that none of the in walls would keep up. He also said the THX line is too "soft" to match with Heritage. So, I'm left re-studying my side columns to see how I can fit in the 9" depth of the RS62II.