2 channel preamp options

jason str

....my choice is clear, to upgrade and or repair the Adcom GTP 350 or....

Can I recommend a repair guy? He is west of Milwaukee, if you are in northern Illinois and are willing to make the drive. I can PM his contact info if you like.

He's repaired three units for me for very reasonable prices: NAD 705, Kenwood KA-5002, Harman Kardon 730. He says he works on tube gear as well.

I do not know how he compares to other people's work. Just happy to have someone near my area.

As a matter of fact i will be needing somebody to look the stuff over when i get my act together here, thanks for the heads up.

After spending hours on the phone and countless e-mails with some Adcom pro's i found the GTP-350 has to go and best model to look for, of course not a model i owned previously, i will wait to list the model that is recommended so i have no shortage of preamps to choose from.

Can I recommend a repair guy? He is west of Milwaukee, if you are in northern Illinois and are willing to make the drive. I can PM his contact info if you like.

He's repaired three units for me for very reasonable prices: NAD 705, Kenwood KA-5002, Harman Kardon 730. He says he works on tube gear as well.

I do not know how he compares to other people's work. Just happy to have someone near my area.

As a matter of fact i will be needing somebody to look the stuff over when i get my act together here, thanks for the heads up.

After spending hours on the phone and countless e-mails with some Adcom pro's i found the GTP-350 has to go and best model to look for, of course not a model i owned previously, i will wait to list the model that is recommended so i have no shortage of preamps to choose from.

Jason,

Do tell.... What model was recomended as Adcoms best?

Roger

Jason,

Do tell.... What model was recomended as Adcoms best?

Roger

Yes, Do Tell!

Dennie

I have the Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp. It is an excellent preamp - dead silent, and the music comes through sounding awesome. I also have a Carver C1 which is a very good pre, however the phono stage is not as good as the Sunfire, and mine is not as quiet as the Sunfire, probably due to age. I've used both with Heresy and Cornwalls - good stuff! Another nice thing about the Sunfire is having a remote.

This morning i picked up a NAD 1600 Preamp/Tuner, very minty unit, came with the factory box and all paperwork.

Just for some experimenting really, the price was too good to pass up and local.

The low level noise is better on the NAD but some of the presence and overall soundstage seems missing.

The built in phono preamp seems decent enough and it has more bells and whistles than my Adcom does.Now the sound of the NAD is definitely geared twards the warmer side of things and seems to match well to the Klipsch , it will just take some time to get used to.

Unfortunately the tuner on the NAD is nowhere near what i am accustomed to hearing on any of the Adcom units but we cant have it all when on a budget.

In the mean time i save my pennies and look for something up the ladder.

poor and slightly unreasonable responses from Craig left me with a why bother feeling.

Finally someone besides me with the balls to speak his mind about someone too many people here think can do no wrong. If you're interested in tube I can recommend someone who actually treats people the way he would want to be treated. Eventually people here will find out that Craig isn't the only person on the planet who sells, repairs or builds tube gear. My VRD's are sold awaiting gear from Ben at Modular electronics in Roswell Ga. His stuff smokes VRD's at a savings in price. Talented gentleman!
  • Like 1

poor and slightly unreasonable responses from Craig left me with a why bother feeling.

Finally someone besides me with the balls to speak his mind about someone too many people here think can do no wrong. If you're interested in tube I can recommend someone who actually treats people the way he would want to be treated. Eventually people here will find out that Craig isn't the only person on the planet who sells, repairs or builds tube gear. My VRD's are sold awaiting gear from Ben at Modular electronics in Roswell Ga. His stuff smokes VRD's at a savings in price. Talented gentleman!

Thank you for the offer, maybe in the future but right now i have my eye on something else.

• 1 month later...

hey jason check this amp out its aclassic reborn look

heres how to contact

Corporate Offices:
ADCOM, LLC
PO Box 2668
Sedona, AZ 86339

Fax: 623-505-9523

Trade-In Program
& ADCOM-DIRECT

Phoenix, AZ Office:
Email: TRADEIN@ADCOM.COM
Phone: 602-773-1909

Monday - Friday, 9:AM-5:PM Arizona Time

GFA-555SE

Power Amplifier
A Classic reborn!

200 watts per channel, 8 ohms
300 watts per channel, 4 ohms
600 Watts Bridged 8 ohms
Tremendous Power Supply Capacity

Cant say that too many people think that Craig can do no wrong. What I will say is that many people here have had great experiences dealing with him. I have had him re-furb at least 4 amps that I can think of. Additionally he modded my Merlin to terrific effect. Yes lots of people recommend him. They do so BECAUSE HE DOES WHAT HE SAYS WHEN SAYS AND HOW HE SAYS AND HE FOLLOWS UP TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS. Sorry for yelling. But you must be aware that most of the folks here have owned many an amp and have listened to many a schpeel and they know when they like something. Craig builds great stuff. Get over it.

People here are not idiots nor are they lemmings. For the most part they are experienced listeners to audio gear. After all who else would be spending time here?

Josh

You might like the source direct function of the sunfire. Most reviews seem completely favorable. I can only speak for my theater grand IV which i also use for two channel and it has the source direct for analog and I use that setting for vinyl close to 100% of the time. Apparently the symphonic reference has a phono stage for both mm and mc cartridges.

Cant say that too many people think that Craig can do no wrong. What I will say is that many people here have had great experiences dealing with him. I have had him re-furb at least 4 amps that I can think of. Additionally he modded my Merlin to terrific effect. Yes lots of people recommend him. They do so BECAUSE HE DOES WHAT HE SAYS WHEN SAYS AND HOW HE SAYS AND HE FOLLOWS UP TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS. Sorry for yelling. But you must be aware that most of the folks here have owned many an amp and have listened to many a schpeel and they know when they like something. Craig builds great stuff. Get over it.

People here are not idiots nor are they lemmings. For the most part they are experienced listeners to audio gear. After all who else would be spending time here?

Josh

I feel that i went the extra mile to see for myself but.

#1 I wanted to see what i was getting upfront, instead was shown a nice generic picture of what may or may not be sent.

Would it have really taken much to pull some the offered parts out for me to look at ? [^o)]

#2 I offered to drive from Chicago to hand deliver my trade and have a look at the offering but he said was too busy to show anything (too many buns in the oven) to be exact.

#3 The last time i spent any time listening to tube powered was the console at grandma's house well over over 20 years ago so it seemed like a reasonable request for me asking to hear some of the man's products.

My time is valuable too but was not taken into consideration.

There was no way i was going to send out my valuable trade first thing ( as was requested to do ) without knowing what i was getting firsthand.

If this seems unreasonable to the normal person so be it.

No hard feelings on this side, just protecting myself.

My new (to me) NAD 1600 preamp has proved to be much better than what i previously had, the more i listen the better it gets.

All the harsh midrange is gone and the sound is much warmer than expected + the phono preamp has a adjustable filter that keeps the rumble in check.

This is a keeper in my opinion but it seems the journey for better sound never ends.

Since the Adcom unit is no longer in my near future the recommended units were the GTP 400 & 500, neither are extra fancy but i asked for something of quality & bulletproof, not the best of the best.

Maybe in the future more cash will be available for experimenting but for now all is well.