Oldbuckster My Friend...You Were Right...or what a difference 22 years make...

Years back on this Forum I made friends with Oldbuckster...he owning kg4s, loving them and thinking about Heresys (II) and me owning Heresys, loving them but not kg4s...still fast friends and Klipsch fans...

He bought those Heresy IIs and after initially not really caring for them...his many friends on this Forum convinced him those new Heresy IIs in Mahogany would shine with Tube amplification and he soon acquired a Scott integrated...heaven...but he would NEVER sell his beloved kg4s...

I had first heard kg4s in 1988 and while coveting the Heresy IIs I couldn't afford, I settled on kg2s because I found the kg4s bass, well...muddy...

much later, I had a chance for mint local kg4s but balked at the price because I was behind the curve...realizing my mistake I thought if another pair in nice condition come up nearby, I'll make them mine...

...recently when a pair showed up closeby, I found I was the first to respond if I could only be patient until the seller returned from a business trip and we could strike the deal, they would be mine...

...I picked them up and after hooking them up to the easiest power, an Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver I put a CD on the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2 and...

...very nice...nice balance (an these aren't even optimally placed)...with a nice top end...almost bright (when compared to my Crites enhanced Quartets)...

...the previous owner bought these new in 1986 and lovingly cared for them until about 6 years ago when he joined the iPod revolution...said these never get played anymore...well, I assured him they would get lovingly played in my house...I handed him the envelope with his asking price...he asked me "You don't want to talk about the price?"..."I don't have anything to power these up for you but they worked fine when I put them away."..."I'm sure they're fine." sez I...I doubt anyone would take this kind of care of 24 year old speakers to have them not work...

I was wrong aobut kg4s...they aren't muddy sounding and after 21 years, I can correct my original conclusion...I think these will stick around for awhile...at 3.5dB more efficiency and another 8" woofer, they trump my kg2s...I won't be replacing my Quartets or the Chorus IIs but these are VERY nice sounding speakers...naturally...they're Klipsch and were made at a time when Paul was still doing the design work along with Gillum (the "G" in kg) and our other friends at the big "K"...

Happy to report I was wrong and I tip a glass to my friend Oldbuckster...I'll also repeat what so many others say...we miss you my friend...I'm sure someone is enjoying your kg4s as much as you did...I'm late to the party but I'm here too...

Bill

Wow...that post made my evening. [:)]

I did not know Buckster, I too am late to the party in that way......

He seems like he was a great friend to you and many others......

This place is special.... And it is becoming more and more like comfy slippers to me......

I am fortunate to be a member here...... You guys rock.

Ob, that stubborn old coot! Most contrary curmudgeon on the Forum. The battle to get him to try tubes was epic, and when we urged him to give Cornwalls a go, you'd think he'd just saw the Pope wearing a skirt. A sweet, sweet, man.

He did like those Kg 4's though. Glad you picked up a set. I've said it many times, the KG line is the best bargain in in quality speakers on the planet.

Thanks for sharing your story.

thanks guys...ah the mind expansion that took place on this Forum...nothing is better than the kg4s to buying Heresy IIs to hating his purchase to finding they sounded sweet with Tubes...Tubes, that's old technology...nothing can beat my old Sony solid state receiver, what a Scott vintage Tube amp...what is this sound...it has to be the best there is...Cornwalls...what do I need Cornwalls for???...oh...THAT's what I need Cornwalls for...

I would be willing to bet that many of us have taken a similar journey here...I KNOW I have... so many speakers, so much stuff and so much comraderie as well as the back and forth that expands the mind...good or bad...I enjoy the journey...hope you are too...

Hell, I bet Rob is learnin' about Klipshorns and Jubilees from Mr. Paul right now...he's gotta be tired of harp music, right??? [;)]

Bill

• Moderators

I know there are alot of people on the forum who never got to know OB.

I would never do this but to show what kind of a man he was I am going to post the end part of a couple of email's from him so you can get an idea of how he was. He was sick when he wrote these and was still trying to help others.

" Isn't funny how wifes ride us about health and all that, and in the end, they don't follow their own advice, and become ill. Hope everything is well, and Christy will bounce back, just takes a little longer when she's 29 ..... EH ! If there is anything I can do, you have my e-mail address, don't hesitate, I'll do what I can.

Love, Peace and Happiness ............ ROB .... Oldbuckster "

This is another one, still thinking of others.......

" The reason I wrote this is, Christy how are you doing? You are always coming to someone's aid, but never a word about you, So how are you feeling ? Are you feeling better, or just kidding yourself that you'll be alright ? You must take care of yourself, you seem to be the focal point of your large family, and it's so easy to ignore not feeling well so you can help others out.
That's all I wanted to say, not a religous man am I, but May God smile down on you and your family, and everything in the end will work out fine. Take Care of Yourself, you and Dtel are nice people, and I miss you on the forum !!!!
One Love, ................... Rob .................. oldbuckster "

I only posted these because there is nothing personal in them. I would send him emails just telling him no need to reply but we just wanted to let him know we were thinking of him and hoped he was doing better, and he would always write back even if it was to just say he was tired but trying to get better.

Bill, I can't imagine a more fitting tribute to an old Forum friend than to mention his name in conjunction with his fave Klipsch speakers, advice given to others, and the personal notes included here. Thanks Dtel for your snippets of insight into the mind of our departed friend. I recall having a great time online with the Buckster in trying to 'out-review' the Rolling Stones 'Shine a Light' DVD. We both really dug the Stones.

Kinda makes ya wonder what each of our lasting contributions will be. You guys haven't managed to get me in tubes, yet (hint?).

Michael

Funny you should mention tubes Michael. Every time I asked about getting any kind of amp or receiver oldbuckster always would say something like "Just get a tube amp and be done with it!"

Some day, some day.

Funny you should mention tubes Michael. Every time I asked about getting any kind of amp or receiver oldbuckster always would say something like "Just get a tube amp and be done with it!"

Some day, some day.

...and Oldbuckster had to be taken kicking and screaming to that conclusion...
Bill