room size for k-horns?

tommy

Don't worry about the room size...

BUY 'EM!

Figure the rest out later.

Khorns work quite well in a small room because of the on-axis nature of horns.

Of course the bass doesn't really open up until you have more space but that's true with any speaker

Tommy,

I think a room can be too small for k-horns. The first room I had mine in was only 13x16.5 feet, but the sound was great, due to "open" floor plan. The current room is 16x18.5. The sound is even better. But - I have heard klipschorns sound awful. It's usually been in rooms that were too/small and/or too dead.

But still; BUY THE HORNS AND BUILD ON!

------------------

JDMcCall

Tommy,

Tell us more about your room- What is the LxWxH? are the corners usable for K-horns? Which wall will they be placed against? This information is important for estimating the quality of the sound you can expect.

Even if your situation is less than ideal, it may be ok if this isn't a permanent arrangement. (I lived with my first set of K-horns for four semesters in the dorms at college- It was worth the wait for me!) smile.gif

Good luck,

Bill

Yes Virginia there is a suggested room size for the Khorn.

Mr. Paul in a technical writing titled "Room Dimensions for Optimum Listening and the Half Room Principal" (dated Aug 1955)states the following:

1) In designing a new house, the music room should be planned with a 32 foot diagonal, or as nearly that minimum as expedient. It is suggested that the ancient "golden mean ratio" apply with, for example, a length of 27 feet, width of 17 feet, and a height of 10 feet, or some reasonable and feasible approach to those figures as in figure 2. This "room" is the limit of the ratio of adjacent terms in the Fibonacci series. The application for either single speaker or stereophonic would be good in a room of this size and shape."

"Therefore, the design of new homes should be based on provisions of corners for speakers, and the application of existing rooms for wide-range sound reproduction should be based on the use of corners even at the expense of remodeling if necessary"

The article goes on to state that the speakers should be placed along the 27" wall for maximum imaging and so the bass note can more fully develop.

Mr. K also is a proponent of a center channel speaker (Yes, it started way back then... its not a new principle just for home theater) to improve imaging - to have a curtain of sound.

Soooooo, I don't remember who said it here on the BB, but it went something like this....

The most expensive component of my stereo was the purchase of the walls for my Kornerhorns.....

Tommy,

Whoa!!!!!

Don't let the numbers scare you off!!!!

Mr. Paul came back and restated his comments in 1979..

He said:

"Experiences with rooms much smaller that the 10X16X25 feet (3X4X8 meters) show that good sound reproduction is still attainable."

Any way, I had my pair in a room that was 16.5' X 14' and they sounded pretty good,

they are now in a larger room and are able to crank a bit more. I wouldn't say no to the horns, especially at that price....

Go for it!!!! You won't be sorry.....

JMON, I'm gonna remember that for a loooooong time......