have you ever???

have you ever ouned a piece of gear that sounds good but you just cant get comfortable with it ??? I beleive the experience of setting in front of a system has to do a couple things to make it worth while. I like / need to be drawn into the music to truely enjoy myself. That requires a system that sounds right / good. Comfort, and peace of mind within and outside. when this isnt happening i find myself listening very little. Does anyone else find this to be an issue ?? Joe

im not sure that " not wowing me" is the issue the unit is absolutely fantastic in build and is a super respected design and sounds very good. i am of the mindset that in the back of my mind i am constantly comparing to my previous reference. which i loved but sold in favor of simplfying my system (went from 3 pieces to 1) maybe a little hasty in that decision but i cant afford to hold equipment indefinately for comparison purposes. Joe

It's easy to fall into the trap of remembering what another system sounds like. Auditory memory is extremely short. There's also the issue of psychoacoustics- I'm sure that you experienced days with your previous reference where it just didn't sound quite as incredible as it may have the day before. Moods and emotions play a role here. Have you ever tried nearfield listening? Doing that allows you to be encompassed by the soundstage- basically, you become part of it. I've listened that way for years and can no longer listen any other way.

• Moderators

Since you sold the other pieces already just give this one a little time and go from there. If you think it sounds as good as the others, it probably does. Trying to remember how something sounded can get tricky, your first few impressions were probably the best or most reliable.

• Moderators

It's easy to fall into the trap of remembering what another system sounds like. Auditory memory is extremely short. There's also the issue of psychoacoustics- I'm sure that you experienced days with your previous reference where it just didn't sound quite as incredible as it may have the day before. Moods and emotions play a role here. Have you ever tried nearfield listening? Doing that allows you to be encompassed by the soundstage- basically, you become part of it. I've listened that way for years and can no longer listen any other way.

Very true, no experience with the nearfield listening though.

I completly agree & uderstand. There are days when I just cant get into the music-just me my mood that day more then anything else. I often long for a lowly $300 CJ PV3pre I once owned. It wasnt detailed, but ohhh was it so warm & lush you couldnt help but enjoythe music. I still regrett selling that piece, wish I were rich enough to keep them all for benchmark comparrison, for thru the years my preferences have changed & lets dont even talk about my memory. [8-)]

Cornman

hey cut. yes the titans are still here and will be for a very long time. it is one component i beleive im stuck with as they are so big someone would have to pick them up in a van. No matter thoigh as they are very good speakers and sound as good or better than anything else i have ouned. With the siesmic sub they are truly full range. Lots of good insight here so far. joe

I've experienced this with audio components. It probably happens to others. I've listened to and owned some high quality audio that didn't quite do it for me although they did for others. I've listened to and owned some lower quality audio that have that little extra for me, as you state, "need to be drawn into the music to truly enjoy myself."

I've sold some nice audio to friends for low cost. I own some lower valued audio that I enjoy even though I own nicer audio. My Dynaco A25 speakers for example. I've heard, owned and own better, but some of those still don't involve me like the A25 speakers can.

I love music, so I've never heard any audio components that I didn't get enjoyment from, but it's the minority of audio components that has that little something special for me that draws me in and I never know what component will until I listen to it.