RF-7/ RC-7 cabinet mod

InVeNtOr

this is the same type of mod i did with my horns. i used the .5" anti-vibration foam and installed it inside the cabinets. the good thing about this foam is you only need to put it on 80% of the surface to obtain maximum results. any more doesn't add or take away, just adds to the amount you used.

i made a

of me knocking on a cabinet with foam and one without. i have no idea how to post it, i may have to contact the internet web site genius Youthman for help. in the video you can hear a difference between the two except when i hit it low on the back side. i later realized i had almost no foam installed there and went back and added some to that entire side. i didn't redo the knocking test, i just hit it a few times and it sounded deeper. what i was going for was "truing" up the cabinet. i have been reading on why a IB sub is better than a standard one. one of the interesting facts related to it was how a cabinet will resonate and add "color" to the bass. so i figured, i had extra foam, had some time, i have already done a bunch of other mods, why not this one. i know some have already said some of my mods were a waist, but it's a good thing i didn't do it for them. from doing research on building a Cornscala, i found out taking away or adding a few square feet of internal volume doesn't do much. i hoped that would be true. from what i hear, i am impressed and like the final sound. now when i listen to cd's, i don't feel like something is missing. i have never been impressed with the bass of the RF-7, now it's perfect. (when i redid my crossover, i also installed a different inductor in the LF board which adds to it).

this mod seemed like it added a ton more bass and all my front stage sounds much cleaner and crisper. again, i did so much at one time, i am guessing a little. i assume only the gear didn't give me these results because so far all of the UMC-1 owners haven't mentioned the same impact their system had. i am very happy with this mod.

i checked and rechecked, but i can't find a pic of the RC-7 after i installed the foam. it was done the same way, all sides covered, except i had to cut rectangles for my crossover. i had to split that one in two for it to fit. maybe i'll take it apart at a later date.

tweeter section.

post-23806-13819600458788_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618953342_thumb.jpg

does anyone recognize this signature? i am asking klipsch employees mostly on this one. i was just curious.

i also would like to add this in. when i first took my cabinets apart, the foam that was installed either shifted or someone did something to it. it was almost covering both ports. the other speaker had the foam in a similar fashion, except it was only covering 1 port. i did reinstall the orgianl foam back into the speaker along with this anti-vibration foam. i put it back in the same place i found it, except of course for covering up the ports.

post-23806-13819600463678_thumb.jpg

post-23806-13819618962646_thumb.jpg

sorry i don't have a link, i got it from work. it's aircraft foam so you can't purchase it. i would try dynomat and see if you like the results.

the only foam i have for sale (which i never posted) is the foam for the RF-7 or RC-7 hornes. you get 12 pieces of triangular shapped foam to put on the horns. pretty simple.