Mcintosh C15 PreAmplifier - What You See Is Not Always What You Get

radiogram

Mcintosh C15 Preamplifier -----

This post is probably a bit late to do and maybe less relevant now, as I should have shared this many years ago when I experienced it and also the fact that the model in questions is pretty outdated. However, there may be people considering purchasing them in used market, and I feel it is important that I share the following, only to make them aware of certain truths so that they do not get misled the way I was and spend their money thinking that they are buying a true Mcintosh. Besides I was never a member of any forums until recently, so I never had a chance to express these.

The Mcintosh C15 is not really a true Mcintosh just like its matching MR7084 Tuner. I bought one from Audigon a few years ago (I believe in 2001) and after listening to the C15 I was very much disappointed. The sound lacked transparency, it was mushy with no definition or impact in the bass. It did not sound much better than using a Sony TV as a preamp. No kidding - I really did that comparison. Completely bewildered, I compared it with 2 other preamps that were retailed around $600 – Yamaha CX-2 and NAD-C160. Both outclassed the C15 in transparency and definition. I was at a total loss and out of curiosity I opened all the three chassis. What a shocking disbelief I was in for!!

C15 – Here is a preamp that retails for $1500 from a prestigious company known for making excellent high quality High End electronics and even known for over engineering. 80% of the chassis was empty. Other than the quality switching relays, the rest 20% was made up by really cheap integrated circuitry. I do not have anything against Op Amps or ICs, but I certainly did not expect this at this price point and worse it was really inferior circuitry, parts and OpAmps.

Now take the Yamaha / NAD – Both preamps retailing around $600-$700 and considered only Mid-Fi. The entire chassis filled with All Discrete high quality Class A circuitry, beefier power supply, advanced and superior Power section circuit.

I soon sold the C15 to Audio Classics in NY and surprisingly got a good price for it! I also lost respect for Mcintosh for betraying my trust.

Later from other sources I learnt that the C15 and the matching MR7084 Tuner, were products that were a result of corporate pressures from Clarion Merger to offer products at a certain lower price point with higher margins. This was a time before the big economy boom when high end sales were really struggling. So for the C15 and MR7084, Mcintosh was forced to use Clarion like cheap circuitry and stuff into Mcintosh Clothing.

Fancier knobs and heavy metal chassis cannot make up for inferior guts inside.

Thanks for passing on your experience and the lesson learned. We don't always know what we're going to get and you are a perfect example of buying a "Brand" and expecting that "Brand" to live up to it's reputation. Most electronic companies offer lesser or lower lines, but we don't always know what gear falls into the category.

That's what makes THIS such a great place. Real world knowledge and experience! [Y]

Dennie

That stinks! I figured Clarion was going to screw things up. I don't think they own them any more, but I haven't liked thier stuff since Gordon Gow died! I have a C34V preamp and just love the compander feature to pieces. I also have an MR78 tuner and tried to "upgrade" to an MR80 a while ago. I got rid of it pretty quick and kept the MR78. I'll probably have it burried with me! The newest piece I got is an MC7150 amp. I'm happy with that though.

AL K.

I'm not familiar with the C15. But apparently you're not the only one with this particular sonic observation.

http://bursonaudioblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/mcintosh-c15-upgrade-with-burson-hd.html

You know, every company has its "Edsel". Maybe the C15 was some sort of attempt to test the waters for a new lower "entry level" MAC at the time?

For the most part I honestly don't care for the late 60's through late
80's MAC solid state gear. I currently have an MX130 and MC7205 which
IMHO are really quite good ~ not quite on par sonically with my valve
equipment, but still very good.

EDIT: BTW, Clarion sold McIntosh to D&M Holdings, Japan (D=Denon, M=Marantz) in 2003. Maybe we should contact Clarion (former?) president Yutaka Oyamada as he told McIntosh employees when they bought McIntosh Labs, "...we like McIntosh as it is, and we have no intention of changing what has made it so successful."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nFPh3HIPj5o/S2vMx3VOPMI/AAAAAAAAA4A/Sqy3m_cg91M/s1600-h/img_0012.jpg

From examining this photo, the real problem isn't the gain stage, it's the electrolytic coupling caps. The added foil and film bypass cap probably helper a lot, but an even bigger improvement in sound would have beenheard if someting was done with the bargain basment coupling caps.

The original gain stage was a NE5532, used properly this opamp is still a contender. Adding a pull-down current source to the negative power supply rail will force it into class A. A simple resistor will do, but a $0.50 J-fet is even better. Add the improved power supply bypassing, and do something with the coupling caps, and I would wager it would sound better than the high-dollar opamps tried (without the coupling caps).

There are better sounding opamps than the NE5532 (of course), but if the other problems aren't addressed it would be a waste of time and money to try them.

Poor power supply bypassing and coupling caps have been a problem with McIntosh since they went solid state in 1967, it's not a new problem.