New Reference Line?

chise1

RB-81 II Bottom

Thanks Amy. Do you know what kind of mounting bracket goes with these holes? Is that something you can findout for me? I live in US so please mention products that I can either buy online in US or from US dealers via phone who can deliver to Columbia, SC. If you can metion more than 1 bracket that would be great as that way I get to choose based upon the look & price of the bracket.

Thanks,

Amit

The back feet were necessary to pass the strict "tip tests." If you do not care for the look (which they really are quite unnoticable in a "real" setting), they can be unscrewed, moved inward, and then screwed in again. But you're on your if they tip! Smile

Thanks Amy, that makes sense. Can I buy spare back feet to replace the front feet to match the look just in case I did not like the factory look? If yes, who do I need to call to findout how much do they cost? And in all this I am assuming that I can easily put the extra back feet in the front i.e. there are no issues replacing them and that they will fit. Correct?

-Amit

• Moderators

Can I buy spare back feet to replace the front feet to match the look just in case I did not like the factory look?

Sorry, the design is "as is." They are the way they are because of tip test safety requirements.

Any modifications would be done on your own and at your own risk!

I ordered a pair of the RF7II's today. I also have a pair of the Cornwall III's. I'll do the compare and post a review for sure! Big Smile

Mind if I ask how much and or what dealer and when did they estimate delivery ? No one has them in my area except some ebay vendors are showing them in stock online . Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not post it , Thanks in advance : )

why not try audioholics? they have a 30 day return policy i believe + free shipping. not sure if they come down on price.

I ordered a pair of the RF7II's today. I also have a pair of the Cornwall III's. I'll do the compare and post a review for sure! Big Smile

Mind if I ask how much and or what dealer and when did they estimate delivery ? No one has them in my area except some ebay vendors are showing them in stock online . Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not post it , Thanks in advance : )
why not try audioholics? they have a 30 day return pThanksolicy i believe + free shipping. not sure if they come down on price.
Thanks JW i'll check them out .

@Amy,

Thanks for all your replies. Can you get me the following information too?

1) What is the official mount for RB-81 II that allows mounting these speakers on the wall and allows for Pan & Tilt motion. I am not able to find any mount that uses 2 holes for mounting. The Omni Mount uses 4 screws & the Pinpoint AM-40 Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Wall Mounts specified by youtman will require extra screws for tilting.

2) What kind of center channel speaker stand can I use to put the RC-64 II? My TV is mounted ABOVE the fireplace and the fireplace mantel is not wide enough to put the center channel on it. I need a center channel stand that I can put in front of the fireplace to raise the center channel speaker's height to match the height of the RF-7 II.

3) Can you tell me how high from the ground the lowest woofer in RF-7 II is located? Basically I am trying to find the height NOT covered by the grill for speaker placement. Actually I have a couch right in front of the left RF-7 II. And I need to know if it will obstruct the woofer or not. If it does, than either I have change the speaker placement or get some kind of riser to raise the height of the mains i.e. left & right channel RF-7 IIs.

4) Would adding height channels (the Dolby Pro IIz) to a 7.2 setup (2 x RF-7 II, 1 x RC-64 II & 4 x RB-81 II); to make it a 9.2 setup; make any difference in overall surround sound when using RF-7 IIs as the mains? Or the RF-7 II as mains would overpower the RB-81 II as either height (Dolby Pro IIz) or wide (Dolby Pro IIx) and I would not see any benefit. Oh and my room size is 15' (W) x 20' (L) x 9' (H). and I DO NOT have a back wall i.e. this a 3 wall room and the room opens into breakfast & kitchen area behind the listening position. So the overall room length (I have a long rectangular hall) is 15' (W) x 43' (L) x 9' (H). You can see the floor plan at http://www.drhorton.com/Where-We-Build/South-Carolina/Columbia/Columbia/The-Mill/Plans/Murray-II/Floorplan.aspx. I will be putting the system in the family room. The front mains are at left & right of the fireplace with the TV mounted above the fireplace. The center channel is right in front of the fireplace. The surrounds will be at the end of the family room.

Thanks for your help.

-Amit Chugh

• Moderators

1) We do not recommend mounting the RB-81 II to the wall.

2) Any stand that supports the weight of a 52-pound center speaker. Bello and Sanus are also good brands.

3) More research required.

4) Much more research required. In fact, you'd have better luck speaker directly with our support folks - 800-Klipsch

I'll try to get the answer to #3 for you.

[:)]

1) We do not recommend mounting the RB-81 II to the wall.

2) Any stand that supports the weight of a 52-pound center speaker. Bello and Sanus are also good brands.

3) More research required.

4) Much more research required. In fact, you'd have better luck speaker directly with our support folks - 800-Klipsch

I'll try to get the answer to #3 for you.

Smile

Amy,

I called up Klipsch product support and spoke to a nice guy. Here's what I got back from him:

1) RB-81 IIs can be used as surrounds. They are primarly designed as mains so the mounting option is for putting them on Left & Right channel stands which only need 2 screws. He told me that as long as I mount the bracket carefully without damaging the components the warranty WILL NOT be void even if I had to put 2 more screws at the bottom to attach a mounting bracket. Can you also confirm that this WILL NOT void the warranty?

2) For mounting the center channel he told me that I should look into bars used for putting retail merchandise. These bars can withstand lot of weight. I should get a faux platform build over my fireplace mantel instead of looking of a center channel stand. This way the center channel will be height matched to the RF-7 IIs. A great idea. I will now have to investigate this further.

3) Regarding Dolby Pro IIz and Dolby Pro IIx for 9.1 or 9.2 setup he said that RF-7 IIs with RC-64 II is a very efficient combination. I should first try to put 2 of my surround speakers in the same place where the height (IIz) or the wide(IIx) speaker would be placed and do a test to see if I hear any difference in sound. His gut fealing is that it might not add enough sound and would probably interfere with the RF-7 II sound. So once I get my speakers I will try to run a test and see how it all goes.

Finally, I have placed an order for my new Klipsch speakers. I will be getting 2 x RF-7 II (LR), 1 x RC-64 II © & 4 x RB-81 II (SBL, SBR, SL & SR). I will be matching them with TWA (TweakCityAudio) 2 x CS18.2 (18" Subwoofers made by CraigSub). All of these will be powered by Pioneer Elite SC-37 to begin with. If I see power level issues like clipping or overpower shutdown then I will be adding Emotiva XPA-5 to my setup. And last but not the least, the subs will be EQed using Anti-Mode 8033.

Looking forward to finally getting everything to build my dream theater...[:D]

-Amit

• Moderators

I'm anxious for you! You should post some pics when you get it all set up :)

He told me that as long as I mount the bracket carefully without damaging the components the warranty WILL NOT be void even if I had to put 2 more screws at the bottom to attach a mounting bracket. Can you also confirm that this WILL NOT void the warranty?

Your warranty will not be void, but remember that we do not cover any damage resulting from mounting "incidents". However, just by mounting them as you've said will not automatically void the warranty if a manuafacturing defect were to appear.

Does that make sense?

I have been waiting over a month for speakers from my local dealer and have picked up a pair of rf-63's get me through until the rf-7 ii's come to town.

I am going to have rf-7 II mains and the rc-64 II center regardless but am struggling on whether to use the rf-63's for surrounds or if I would be better off picking up the rs-62 II's for this function...? I have just fallen in love with the 63's and don't like the thought parting with them!!...

If anyone has any experience using towers for rear surrounds I would love to hear your opinion.[:D]

As I see it my options are as follows:

1) pick up the rs-62 ii's to compare to the 63's as rear surrounds and sell the losing pair

2) pass on the rs-62 ii's, and pick up a used rt-12d for $1100

3) don't buy anymore speakers, move to the jungle and stop wearing pants to take my mind off of what i am missing

...I am going to have rf-7 II mains and the rc-64 II center regardless but am struggling on whether to use the rf-63's for surrounds or if I would be better off picking up the rc-62 II's for this function...? I have just fallen in love with the 63's and don't like the thought parting with them!!...

If anyone has any experience using towers for rear surrounds I would love to hear your opinion...

I presume you meant RS-62s for surrounds...Fwiw, I have RF-3s and RS-7s as side surrounds and only use the RF-3s along with my RB-75s in the back for 7.1 and never use the RS-7s anymore. YMMV.

I'm anxious for you! You should post some pics when you get it all set up :)

Your warranty will not be void, but remember that we do not cover any damage resulting from mounting "incidents". However, just by mounting them as you've said will not automatically void the warranty if a manuafacturing defect were to appear.

Does that make sense?

Yes, I will definitely post few pictures. It makes total sense regarding the warranty.

I have already received my RB-81 II (4 of them). They are beautifully made. I am still waiting for my mains (RF-7 II) and center (RC-64 II). My dealer said thay are already shipped.

Amy, the cut-out sheet PDF file link on the website for all the 3 models i.e. RF-7 II, RC-64 II & RB-81 II DOES NOT work. Can you get with your web developer and have these links fixed. These links are shown below the product images under the Downloads section.

Also, it would be good to update the specification pages to include that RB-81 II grills are magnetic. Yeah, finally. I love them. I hope the RF-7 II & RC-64 II have the same magnetic grills to match it. If they do, please update this information too.

For some users, it is good to know information like this and can help make a sale. Lastly, I think the material is still MDF. Can you confirm? Also have this information on the website under specification as to what kind of material is used.

RB-81 II First Look Review

The overall finish is excellent. I fell in love as soon as I got them out of the box. They come with FULL grill as shown in the product pictures but the grills are magnetic. The inside inclosure is coated with a thin layer of WHITE poly fill. The WHITE poly fill is NOT visible unless you angle the speaker and look for it from the BASS port hole in the front. If I had a choice I would have gone for BLACK poly fill. The speakers come with 4 rubber stick-on feets that can be attached, if needed. Since I will be mounting the speakers on the wall, I won't be using them and cannot provide any feedback as to how effective they are in controlling the vibration of the speaker. I have not got a chance to hook them yet as I am still waiting for some of the other things to come like mains, center, banana plugs etc. I will let you all know how it all sounds.

If anyone has any experience using towers for rear surrounds I would love to hear your opinion.Big Smile

I run RF-7s all the way around and love them as surrounds. When I play blu-ray concerts it's quite an experience! Cool

After hearing a few comments and thinking about it for a while I think I am going to use the rf-63's for rear surrounds. As you stated, I think having full surrounds will be awesome for stereo surround music. My dealer is supposed to call me as soon as they show up in his system so I can place an order. This is getting exciting!!