New Reference Line?

chise1

I guess my point is more that if they are going to change the design of a hugely loved product, it should be changed in a way that the old ones can still be supported by the new ones.  Why not make the new grills backward compatible to the old ones, did they really change the physical dimensions of the RF7 from 1 to 2?

10 years is long enough to support a product.

I guess as an example, I needed an RS-52 crossover.   I think they still sell those too, don't they, or at least the resellers do.  They don't have a crossover to send out.  They did have tweeters if you needed those, but not the crossover.  They directed me to an outside company that could repair it.  

I guess, in the end, I don't know enough about the manufacture and distribution of these products to have a real opinion about it, but it seems very bad to me not to have parts for their own products.  Even if it means going back to China for a small production run, it can't be that crazy to do so.  In the middle of Ohio -- or Arkansas for that matter, warehouse space can't be all that expensive.  Just my uninformed 2c :)

7 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I guess my point is more that if they are going to change the design of a hugely loved product, it should be changed in a way that the old ones can still be supported by the new ones.  Why not make the new grills backward compatible to the old ones, did they really change the physical dimensions of the RF7 from 1 to 2?

I explained this above but if they did that then it would be harder to sell new speakers if the old ones had easily exchangeable parts and yes the grills are different on the two versions of RF-7s.

9 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

In the middle of Ohio -- or Arkansas for that matter, warehouse space can't be all that expensive.

If you follow this (along with many) company's stock you will see everyone is trying to cut costs to make a profit and as was mentioned it isn't a trivial issue carrying replacement parts in small numbers, when in fact volume drives down the original costs. Fwiw, those are the reasons that most companies don't do as you suggest and if they did would be competing against after-market companies that actually do advertise replacement parts at a discount....IOW, if all generations of the RF-7 had similar parts then it would be in a discounters interest to provide those parts and companies have found they can't compete in that environment and sell new products.

20 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I needed an RS-52 crossover.   I think they still sell those too, don't they, or at least the resellers do.  They don't have a crossover to send out.

Honestly I don't know what an RS-52 crossover would cost but imagine not much more than purchasing the actual speaker used...Otoh, there is a lot of discussion on 'resellers' selling Heritage crossovers and if you follow some of those threads you will see what the problem is for Klipsch.

ZT thanks for the thoughtful post and taking the time to share the why.  That makes sense, especially the aftermarket that you refer to.

The crossover was eventually bought on ebay, through a seller that has connections to the Canadian version of Klipsch.  Was $25!

Currently the RS-52s go for around $400, but you occasionally see one (one just sold recently for $305).  Love the RS series :)