Stock La Scala with a full grill?

tromprof

How is the grill secured at the bottom?

The grill is framed all the way around and attached using nails. It looks just like the framing for the La Scala with a top grill.

OK, so it's not a separate, removable frame? Like the material was stretched over and stapled to the cabinet, then the trim pieces applied, OR the fabric was stapled to the 3/4" frame, and that assembly tacked to the front of the speaker?

How is the grill secured at the bottom?

The grill is framed all the way around and attached using nails. It looks just like the framing for the La Scala with a top grill.

OK, so it's not a separate, removable frame? Like the material was stretched over and stapled to the cabinet, then the trim pieces applied, OR the fabric was stapled to the 3/4" frame, and that assembly tacked to the front of the speaker?

The grill is not a removable separate piece like the grill on my Fortes. Hard to tell how it's attached but the grill frame is not thick so I would guess the fabric is attached to speaker cabinet and the frame over top of this.

There were NOT added after the fact, they were indeed ordered/built that way from the factory I have seen many pairs with full grills. The other folks are merely speculating.

They are somewhat rare as not too many were made that way unless the customer or store specified them to be made that way.

Charles, so how were they attached? If stapled to the front of the carcass, then a trim applied, was the cloth trimmed shy of the outside (all around), and the trim rabbeted to accept the choth's thickness (so one wouldn't see the cloth edge from the side/top/bottom)?

There were NOT added after the fact, they were indeed ordered/built that way from the factory I have seen many pairs with full grills. The other folks are merely speculating.

They are somewhat rare as not too many were made that way unless the customer or store specified them to be made that way.

I have other pics at home that show a pair of LS with full grills. They look great, but personally, the LS look smaller to me with the dog house showing. I like the look.

Bruce

I have seen lots of Rodgers organs with 2 pair of La Scala speakers with full grill. Most were painted white but some came, IIRC, in wood grain. Usually had AA crossovers and seperate amplifiers in the cabinets. Can you see where the amps may have been removed?

Frank

I have seen lots of Rodgers organs with 2 pair of La Scala speakers with full grill. Most were painted white but some came, IIRC, in wood grain. Usually had AA crossovers and seperate amplifiers in the cabinets. Can you see where the amps may have been removed?

Frank

I see no signs of amps having been in the speakers. Where would the amps have been placed? The crossovers are AA. Any possibility of a picture to compare with mine?

I see no signs of amps having been in the speakers. Where would the amps have been placed? The crossovers are AA. Any possibility of a picture to compare with mine?

Sure, a friend of mine has a Rodgers w/4 La Scala speakers in his great room. I'll try to get photos this week.

Sure, a friend of mine has a Rodgers w/4 La Scala speakers in his great room. I'll try to get photos this week.

Thanks Frank, we're looking forward to it!

Dennie

Fini,

It's attached like the top section lots of staples and screen door trim around the entire fascia. I am with Marvel though I like the seeing the doghouse, another issue is the grill gathers dust and would be difficult to clean. It would also tear easily if something was dropped against it. Does make them look like Cornwalls though. I have changed my front stage to La Scala's and find them more dynamic and a bit more accurate than the Klipschorn's surprisingly. :-)

I have changed my front stage to La Scala's and find them more dynamic and a bit more accurate than the Klipschorn's surprisingly. :-)

Looks like you need to update your avatar, Charles! I'd like to see a bigger shot of the new set-up, too! Thanks!!

Update: I haven't forgotten about taking some pictures. I'm headed over there Sunday and will post photos Sunday evening or Monday.

Frank