• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I stopped (pop) listening (pop) to vinyl (skip) a long (pop) time ago. [:(]

Just kidding I like ( pop) the way it sounds but after giving away both turntables and all the LP's years ago I am not going to start over.

I stopped (pop) listening (pop) to vinyl (skip) a long (pop) time ago. Sad

Just kidding I like ( pop) the way it sounds but after giving away both turntables and all the LP's years ago I am not going to start over.

We are spinning at my house. I buy vinyl often. There is some high quality new pressings coming out of London and Paris that are so clean. Vinyl is now my playback of choice but I like to be able to play anything from CD to RTR to any records.

IMG_2491.JPG

At this years Pilgrimage in Hope Kaiser and I brought some La Scalas an Onkyo TT with a cheap cart run through a Hagtech Bugle phono premap which JoeSportster gave me. This inexpensive TT rig sounded great. Many remarked how they thought it better than the CDP we brought.

IMG_3060.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality iphone pics.

STA_3067.JPG

This inexpensive TT rig sounded great. Many remarked how they thought it better than the CDP we brought

I don't know, think I'm going to have to give all the credit to the sound of this rig to SSH for his killer amps and fruity pre amp (Love ya Mark[;)]). I mean you have a 6 year old Nakamichi 5 disc rotary player from (dare I say) Best Buy $200.00 against a ancient Sanyo with a Staton V400 (Worlds loudest cartridge according to Needle Doctor) which cost a whopping $19.99[:o] No come to think of it now it had to be those high dollar ic's[:#] LOL

This inexpensive TT rig sounded great. Many remarked how they thought it better than the CDP we brought

I don't know, think I'm going to have to give all the credit to the sound of this rig to SSH for his killer amps and fruity pre amp (Love ya MarkWink). I mean you have a 6 year old Nakamichi 5 disc rotary player from (dare I say) Best Buy $200.00 against a ancient Sanyo with a Staton V400 (Worlds loudest cartridge according to Needle Doctor) which cost a whopping $19.99Surprise No come to think of it now it had to be those high dollar ic'sZip it! LOL

The comparisons on source where similar beforehand. Those JFL 2A3 amps and JM preamp took em to another level completely. It was hard to wheel them back to his room in the morning [:'(]

I still spin vinyl at our house. We have our original Pioneer PL-55x turntable installed in our theater's rack and there's about 450 vinyl albums sitting safely in the cabinet beneath our theater's screen. I have Audiotechnica, Stanton and Ortofon cartridges. -Glenn

• Moderators

I don't have anything against vinyl, except I have no LP's or anything to play it on. So if I were to get back into it i would need everything, and I doubt that's going to happen.

To me the sound was very good, with a clean Lp, I also see no reason a CD or DVD couldn't reproduce the same sound, most just do not.

I think it has more to do with the recordings and less to do with the format, not all LP recordings were good either.

I may not live long enough to see it but the standards of all recordings should be better, there is no excuse for some of the junk being sold. How is it possible that technology has not improved in the last 30 or so years ? They can't or don't want to be bothered to even have a standard volume for recordings much less really good quality, it's like the wild west, anything goes.

And don't get me started on what they are calling " talent " ! [+o(]

ME!!!. Still use my Technics TT and just re-acquired a DBX pre-amp for the dozen or so DBX recorded albums I have. Also, I'm in the finishing stages of my HT and built 3 new shelves to house my records. Most had been in storage for 12 or more years. What's old is new again.

• Moderators

I don'. Can't abid the pop & click, wow & flutter. But is anybody going to send in their picture and story to CNN?

It might be clean but it ain't got no soul Stick out tongue

They could put all the pop's clicks, wow & flutter on a Cd you could want, then it would have soul. [:o] [6]

I don'. Can't abid the pop & click, wow & flutter. But is anybody going to send in their picture and story to CNN?

It might be clean but it ain't got no soul Stick out tongue

They could put all the pop's clicks, wow & flutter on a Cd you could want, then it would have soul. SurpriseDevil

Prepare yourself for a shock. [:|]

Not all LP have pops and clicks. [:D]

Not all record players suffer from wow & flutter. [:D]

I do have records that have pops and clicks but in listening to these records some of which there are no cd available of makes me appreciate the music even more. Being able to listen past all that and get into the music is very cool to me.

Not that records are different in this regard but I wish all cds were produced to a higher standard especially in the mastering. Also how many CD's will still sound good in 20-50 years. I'm curious to see how the media will last.

After you guys hooplahhing the vinyl all these years I played some recently and it really sucked big time bad. 12 db of bass missing, high frequency transients missing, multiple clicks, scratches, pops, wow and flutter, high frequency hiss at loud levels, and sounds like a Bose system.

JJK

After you guys hooplahhing the vinyl all these years I played some recently and it really sucked big time bad. 12 db of bass missing, high frequency transients missing, multiple clicks, scratches, pops, wow and flutter, high frequency hiss at loud levels, and sounds like a Bose system.

JJK

That sounds terrible. If my experience sounded like that I may have given up vinyl as well.

If you ever pass through Little Rock lets have a few brews and tunes.

• Moderators

Also how many CD's will still sound good in 20-50 years. I'm curious to see how the media will last.

That's a good point Seti, I have already had 2 Cd's quit because a few specks of the silver looking side flakes off ?

Vinyl should be reserved for sofa cushions and pants..........I know you like all that retro stuff Seti. [;)]

I will in due time Colin, but today was a very busy day. -Glenn