Who still listens to vinyl?

Colin

Also how many CD's will still sound good in 20-50 years. I'm curious to see how the media will last.

That's a good point Seti, I have already had 2 Cd's quit because a few specks of the silver looking side flakes off ?

Vinyl should be reserved for sofa cushions and pants..........I know you like all that retro stuff Seti. Wink

The industry wants us to buy the same music over and over again. If they wanted the media to last longer they would have made CDs like mini discs. In that format the media is protected in a case that is the vehicle for the media. CDs scratch very easily. When the CD first came out they were supposed to last forever. It reminds me of records that have stickers or labels saying unbreakable.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up a Pioneer PL-30 turntable at a garage sale for $20 with a Audio Technica cartridge. Table & cart are mint except the dust cover which has some burn marks in it. I hooked it up in one of my basement systems, Pioneer SX-650 and KG 5.5's, and spun some old lps. It sounded fine, the problem was my old LPs had been to too many keg parties back in college. What I'll end up doing is burning my mint lps onto cdr's, especially those rarities not issued on cd. I am not willing to rebuild my lp collection at this point in time, nor spend the requisite amount of money on an exotic table cartridge and tonearm needed to reach vinyl nirvana. I can see myself keeping a working table in my main rig, but mostly for nostalgia purposes.

After you guys hooplahhing the vinyl all these years I played some recently and it really sucked big time bad. 12 db of bass missing, high frequency transients missing, multiple clicks, scratches, pops, wow and flutter, high frequency hiss at loud levels, and sounds like a Bose system.

JJK

Are you sure you didn't have a dbx recording without using a dbx decoder???[;)]

Also how many CD's will still sound good in 20-50 years. I'm curious to see how the media will last.

That's a good point Seti, I have already had 2 Cd's quit because a few specks of the silver looking side flakes off ?

Vinyl should be reserved for sofa cushions and pants..........I know you like all that retro stuff Seti. Wink

How about in a 100 years? One of my favorite recordings is a Kid Ory "Muskrat Ramble" recorded in the 20's. The sound is phenomenal...far better than many CD's I've heard. Of course, those centered on low noise and wide bandwidth will make no sense of that. What I mean is ENERGY, PRESENCE, MUSCIANSHIP, and PERFORMANCE so awesome I don't hear anything but MUSIC.

All the dynamic range in the world won't help the POS's that pass for bands in many cases these days...

Dave

PS-And if you are thinking it's just an old farts reactionary attitude, I had an 18 year old over a while back who had never heard a 78. He stood in rapture with his head going in circles over the turntable at 78rpm and said "You are putting me on. NO WAY that music is coming off that old thing!"

How about in a 100 years? One of my favorite recordings is a Kid Ory "Muskrat Ramble" recorded in the 20's. The sound is phenomenal...far better than many CD's I've heard. Of course, those centered on low noise and wide bandwidth will make no sense of that. What I mean is ENERGY, PRESENCE, MUSCIANSHIP, and PERFORMANCE so awesome I don't hear anything but MUSIC.

All the dynamic range in the world won't help the POS's that pass for bands in many cases these days...

Dave

PS-And if you are thinking it's just an old farts reactionary attitude, I had an 18 year old over a while back who had never heard a 78. He stood in rapture with his head going in circles over the turntable at 78rpm and said "You are putting me on. NO WAY that music is coming off that old thing!"

There is something to be said for atmosphere and the feeling of a recording. I have many 78's I haven't heard yet. I'd like a vintage Wethers tonearm for playing these.

Last year I bought an early Hank Williams 10 inch which was in ok condition. At first I was a little bummed by the condition but after a few plays what some call noise became part of the recording to me. Sure I have clean CD versions of all this songs but I like the feeling of this one.

IMG_1549.JPG

Artist R.Crumb is a huge fan of acoustical recordings over electrical recordings. He has a couple compilations out there. His latest is R Crumb's Heroes Of Blues Jazz and Country. I am really enjoying it and the sources are of course very early.

rcrumbheroes.jpg

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/crumb.htm

Sure I have clean CD versions of all this songs but I like the feeling of this one.

The majority of CD transfers suck. I don't know why. I've done recordings of mine and they sound as good as the original. Apparently some very incompetent folks handling these transfers.

However, I also philosophcally agree. Some about seeing that platter spin as it has for 80 year or so and getting those vibes DIRECT. It is meaningful to me that on an acoustic recording I am hearing the exact energy produced by the musician. I believe someday computers will be able to analyze and augment these to create high fidelity. I read years ago that, with acoustic recordings, it's possible to compute the distance and position of the muscian from the phase of the instruments...that is, there is laten STEREO info in these things.

Dave

And you can actually read the album covers!

album covers are a lost art. i miss them.

Yeah you could read the liner notes and 12 inch x 12 inch is the perfect vehicle for art. Now your lucky if you get a little digital imaged attached to your mp3 or aiff.

CDs are like processed food from Kraft - uniform, homogenious, boring. LPs are like organic food from my local farmer's market - flawed, a few bad spots, but better tasting by a mile.

Good one!

I like my vinyl, but the CDs are so convenient that for background music, especially if I'm not in the listening room, I'll reach for a CD.

But for the real listening experience, the LPs are on a higher level. Didn't someone on the forum say something like "Playing vinyl is to playing CDs as barbecuing is to using a microwave"?

Assuming the record is in good shape, of course. More than a minimal amount of noise means that disc gets rarely played.