A virus killed my laptop

winchester21

I do that too Larry. I only used Malware Byes for the eratication of the virus and then uninstall it when the system is up and running again.

I usually have on my system AVG, SpyBot and Trend Micro. AVG is the only one that is active. The other two are passive and I only run them once in a while.

I just got rid of one of these AV security trojans...

when you first see the screen that says a virus is detected or click to activate AV software DONT CLICK IT OR ANYWHERE NEAR IT DONT DECLINE SAY NO OR EXIT. Doing so allows the virus to take over your computer, hit alt+f4 to remove the pop up screen without allowing the virus access.(this according to a norton tech) the malware is present on many websites and I got it through a picture of a used truck on craigslist. Good luck!

I just got rid of one of these AV security trojans...

when you first see the screen that says a virus is detected or click to activate AV software DONT CLICK IT OR ANYWHERE NEAR IT DONT DECLINE SAY NO OR EXIT. Doing so allows the virus to take over your computer, hit alt+f4 to remove the pop up screen without allowing the virus access.(this according to a norton tech) the malware is present on many websites and I got it through a picture of a used truck on craigslist. Good luck!

Better than that one of our Doctors actually bought the alleged AV software [:|] I couldn't say cancel that credit card fast enough.

OK got it fixed.ran malware virus gone- no internet access- thought maybe the malware and the new antivirus program had set the forewall settings too sensitive to allow internet access- no the case firewall settings fine. We were able to do a system restore back to 2 weeks ago. wireless card got hit as the virus was killed off but came back up with system restore. We ran malware 3 times- totall of 5 infected fixes. came back clean after the last run restoring back to 2 weeks. Everything seems to be OK

Side rant- I imediately bought Norton for the main house PC. Norton 360 for about 80.00. I checked the my account for the product code to load onto the other 2 computers in the house and I noticed the status was listed as trial subscription. the product codes would not load onto the other laptops. Never had that problem before.So I call some guy at Norton who can barely speak English. He tells me that my laptops have to be calibrated before I can load the product code from the purchased Horton AV software. Huh???? they wanted 80.00 to load the "free 360 extra downloads" onto my other computers. The account is set up as a trial subscription- that is obviously the problem. And they wanted 100.00 to remove the virus in addition to the 80.00 to load the computers with an AV program that I already paid for. What a bunch of crooks!!!- Now i will have to spend another 30 mins takling to hadji about my 80.00 "trial subscription" So total price at their rate- 260.00 for 3 computers. WT$$$$$$$$????????.

As for the doctor- I have another horror story which I will post under separate cover.

That is terrible. I would demand a refund but good luck with that. I wouldn't be abit surprised that in the future there is some relationship between virus writers and some of these companies exposed. I can't recommend windows based computers for home use any more at least not until they get their OS under control. To protect my networks I use a combo of antivirus on the desktops a firewall that scans network traffic for virus traffic and heavy web blocking.

Side rant- I imediately bought Norton for the main house PC. Norton 360 for about 80.00.

\

Norton is probably the worst software you can put on your computer. It conflicts with many other programs. Try AVG. It's free. Computer Associates also has a suite available.

Frank

Threads like this remind me of why I do like macs. .

Their time is coming... Macs have ZERO superiority on security ... their market penetration has been so low, it hasn't been worth the hackers' time... and just for THIS overwhelming sense of complacency, when it comes, it is gonna hit hard.

I purchased Noton Internet Security 2010 a week or so ago just to update. After 2 attempts the software will not install without screwing up my computer (technical jargon). I'll never buy another Norton product again.

Keith

Threads like this remind me of why I do like macs. .

Their time is coming... Macs have ZERO superiority on security ... their market penetration has been so low, it hasn't been worth the hackers' time... and just for THIS overwhelming sense of complacency, when it comes, it is gonna hit hard.

I mostly disagree but that is ok. Hackers will have to try much harder. It will take much more skill and knowledge. Is it possible yes I won't deny. Hacking Unix is much different. Hacking a Mac is much harder. Microsoft is in the spot it is in because of very poor decisions they made many years ago.

I mostly disagree but that is ok ...

I suspect that there are MANY who 'might' mostly disagree ... the problem is that they are the exact 'fat, dumb and happy' Mac owners to be targeted. MS security issues have very little to do with bad decisions other than memory/execution speed was at a premium when the most susceptible code was written... the EXACT same issues that the UNIX folks faced... but believe what ya want....