What dictates sound quality, the receiver or the amp.

I have a Yamaha RX V630 receiver that got zapped by lightning about 2 years ago which damaged my banana plug inputs but not my speaker lead inputs, go figure. I believe now that the receiver is slowly passing away. This brings me to the upgrade question. I want tons of power for headroom (bragging rights) but my main emphasis is sound quality. I love clean sound but sometimes I want to feel it and that's another reason for the power.

Here is where my head scratching starts. I have 3 Rane MA-6S multi channel amps (tons of power) that I can use with a quality receiver, or I can spend more money on a quality receiver with a ton of power.

Where is the sound quality? Is it the amp or the receiver? I would much rather spend less money on a quality receiver with less power and use the amps that I already have.

If the receiver controls the sound quality then I can knock it out of the park with the amps

If the amp controls the quality then what kind of sound quality do I have with the Rane MA-6S amps?

Does what I'm trying to say make sense?

Thanks, Jack.

I think you post a great question.... Almost like "what comes first; the chicken or the egg"....

I suspect either one can give you bad quality. Also, the original source quality can make all the difference as well.....

I will watch this thread for more answers by more qualified folks than myself........ [:D]

I have a Yamaha RX V630 receiver that got zapped by lightning about 2 years ago which damaged my banana plug inputs but not my speaker lead inputs, go figure. I believe now that the receiver is slowly passing away. This brings me to the upgrade question. I want tons of power for headroom (bragging rights) but my main emphasis is sound quality. I love clean sound but sometimes I want to feel it and that's another reason for the power.

Here is where my head scratching starts. I have 3 Rane MA-6S multi channel amps (tons of power) that I can use with a quality receiver, or I can spend more money on a quality receiver with a ton of power.

Where is the sound quality? Is it the amp or the receiver? I would much rather spend less money on a quality receiver with less power and use the amps that I already have.

If the receiver controls the sound quality then I can knock it out of the park with the amps

If the amp controls the quality then what kind of sound quality do I have with the Rane MA-6S amps?

Does what I'm trying to say make sense?

Thanks, Jack.

I think I get what you're getting at, and as with a lot of these things, the answer is "either, neither, and both."

You have a signal chain, and like any chain, it's only as strong as its weakest link. In other words, your system is going to sound as good as its worst-sounding component.

Ideally, processors, receivers, and amps don't have a "sound." Processors and the preamp sections of receivers are supposed to take a signal from an input and direct it to an output with no change in the signal, and amplifiers are supposed to take an input signal at a given voltage and output the same signal at a higher voltage.

Practically speaking, if I were in your shoes and already had a high-quality multichannel amp with more than enough power to take care of my speakers, I wouldn't even be looking at receivers -- I'd be looking at processors.

Speakers/Room

Source

Pre-Amp

Amp

speaker wires

interconnects

magic pebbles

etc...

Top Notch answer, and correct

Ok, Lets say everything in the chain is ok. I've got the power.

Question 1 Does anyone here know about the Rane MA-6S Multi channel amp and if it is quality power. I'm sure it's strong enough here are the specs.. Please give your opinions.

100 watts minimum RMS per channel into 8 ohms

150 watts minimum RMS per channel into 4 ohms

300 watts minimum RMS per two-channel bridged operation into 8 ohms

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5hz - 80hz. +0/ -3 dB

TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION less than 0.2 % (1 hz )

INTERMODULATION DISTORTION ( 60 HZ ; 7 khz @ 4:1 ) LESS THAN 0.1%

SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO: better than 96 dB (EIA A-weighted)

SENSITIVITY: +0 dBm (.775V3 for rated power output

INPUT IMPEDANCE: greater than 9k ohms

DAMPING FACTOR: 300:1 at 1000Hz

INPUTS: "A" RTS phone jacks, automatic balanced/unbalanced

OUTPUTS: Terminal Blocks

CROSS TALK: better than -60 dB at 1kHz, any channel to any channe

LIMITER PERFORMANCE :

• Range: 15 dB
  • Maximum input level at clipping: +15 dB (4.4)
  • Attack time constant: 10 ms
  • Decay time constant: 10 ms
  • Detection method: full-wave peak

SPEAKER IMPEDANCE:

• No less than 4 ohms for single channel operation.
  • No less than 8 ohms for bridged operation.

LED THRESHOLD:

• Signal present: -20 dBm (78mV.)
  • Limit: 90W output into 8 ohms (26.8 VRMS) single operation
  • 270W output into 8 ohms (46.5VRMS) bridged
  • Clip: 3 dB before actual clipping.

OUTPUT RELAY: Activates approximately 10 seconds after power is supplied; drops out immediately after turn-off; drops out anytime there is DC output voltage or high level subsonic signals.

Now see why I ask these questions, it's a completely different language. I don't have a clue!

Thanks, Jack.

Unfortunately specs on paper don't always tell the whole story. What price can you get the Rane for?

In all the changes I've made, the receiver/pre-amp has made the most difference over the sound as far as the electronics part of the chain. They contain the DACs, the DSPs for surround modes, etc.

I purchased 3 Rane MA-6S amps, 16 JBL Control 28T outdoor speakers, 1 Rane ME 15B Graphic Equalizer, 1 CP 64 Commercial Processor, and 1 large commercial stand up rack with fans and electrical outlets for $100.00. Needless to say I felt good about the purchase. So I already have the amps. I am currently using one with my Yamaha receiver which is dying and the rest of the stuff is not being used.

It was mentioned earlier to consider a processor instead of a receiver to run with the amps. That was something that I didn't think about. I will have to do a little research on the processor option.

So If these Rane amps are a good power source, then do I look at a low watt receiver with quality components or the processor or what?