leave the amp on?

jdm56

I'm sure this question has come up (probably many) times before, but if I tried to search the archives, that's kind of like work, plus if everybody did that, there would be no new posts. So. Is it better to leave my big, honkin' Adcom 5500 on all the time, or should it be shut down when not in use? The power switch feels a little chintzy so I'm kinda scared it'll break. But then I hate to leave the amp on 24/7, suckin' juice for no good reason. It's got no 12V trigger and I've got no power controller with a 12V trigger'd outlet, so that is not an option at the moment. Thanks.

Unless you need a room heater shut it off.

The switch is actually pretty heavy duty, is there a problem with it ?

Nah, no problems. The amp is brand new. It's just that the feel and sound of the power button does not inspire confidence, that's all. I've not even read of the power button being an issue, for that matter. I guess I worry too much.[^o)]

I have a Rotel in my sig, when i press the power button i hear a loud pop. so i keep mine on all the time. I called rotel and they told me that it sucks a little juice when no signal is sent to it but i have no way to verify that, any ideas anyone?

You can get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK

that way your big amp will shut down whenever your receiver turns off.

Ah, very interesting! I used to have a couple of surge protectors from Radio shack that had some switched outlets, but the sensitivity of the switching function was adjustable. They both eventually got to where they would not switch anything off or on regardless of the setting. It would either stay on all the time or stay off all the time.

I wonder if I'd get a pop or a thump with that strip like I do now if I don't power up and down in the proper sequence? ...probably would.

Thanks for the heads up, though. That looks like a good buy.

I leave my Adcom 7607 on all the time. It has been on for about 6 years now and never a problem.

Some say turn them off and some say leave them on. I leave it on!

My electricity bill is not cheap, but I figure the amp is not adding much when it is not in use.

Dennie

I have a Rotel in my sig, when i press the power button i hear a loud pop. so i keep mine on all the time. I called rotel and they told me that it sucks a little juice when no signal is sent to it but i have no way to verify that, any ideas anyone?

You can get a device called a "kill a watt" that can show you the amp/watt draw of any given divice in real time.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=kill+a+watt&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Speakers_Subwoofers&_odkw=klipsch+kg&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

It kind of depends.

I leave my little Crown D60's on all the time. I leave the McIntosh MX130 preamp/control center on all the time.

The HK receiver on the HT is left on all the time.

The solid state McIntosh MC7205 120watts x5 gets turned off.

The tube power amps get turned off.

A class solid state amp would be turned off.

The ARC preamp (tube), if it's going to be used on going over several days gets left on.

Some equipment has a turn-on delay so components can be energized without any turn-on thump or shock. Turning equipment on and off repeatedly can have just as, if not more detrimental effect than leaving them on for an extended period of time. Some equipment - like pro Crown gear - were designed for continuous duty service. Some equipment, valves in particular tend to sound best after they've been on for while (an hour or more).

It's a judgment call, depending on the equipment and kind of usage. With your Adcom, at 200w/ch, if you don't use it everyday then I'd turn it off. On the other hand if you're using mostly around the clock ~ say for background radio music during the day, more serious listening or HT in the evening, etc. I would leave it on as opposed to turning off for a few hours at night only to have it warm up again in the morning.

With valve amps, especially power amps, you run the risk of failure that could result in a meltdown/fire if catastrophic failure occurs due to the much higher voltages used.

I'm sure this question has come up (probably many) times before, but if I tried to search the archives, that's kind of like work, plus if everybody did that, there would be no new posts. So. Is it better to leave my big, honkin' Adcom 5500 on all the time, or should it be shut down when not in use? The power switch feels a little chintzy so I'm kinda scared it'll break. But then I hate to leave the amp on 24/7, suckin' juice for no good reason. It's got no 12V trigger and I've got no power controller with a 12V trigger'd outlet, so that is not an option at the moment. Thanks.

James,

I have a friend who has left his Adcom GFA 7000 on since he bought it new and has never had a problem. If you want a remote trigger for your Adcom, you can get a used Adcom ACE-515 off of eBay for about 100 bucks. You will still have the POP every time your 5500 turns on, so you need to make sure the last thing you do before shuting down each time is that you turn the volume down on your pre-Amp.

The ACE-515 has a 2 prong trigger plug that plugs into one of your switched out recepticles on the back of your Pre-Amp. It has fatter wire with a 3 prong plug that plugs directly to one of your homes recepticles. When you turn on your pre-amp, there is a 10 second delay and it powers up your amp. It is supposed to be a power conditioner as well. These were between $500 & $600 new.

The ACE-515 can handle switching up to 1,500 watts, so one can switch a pair of your GFA-5500s, or a pair of GFA-565 Mono Blocks. [Y][A]

Roger

Wow.... this is a great thread....

I always leave my promedia 2.1s on. Going on 2 years and not a problem.

I usually turn my Onkyo off at night. It has been stormy a lot in Chicago, so I do not wish to have a power surge blow my stuff......

(Yes I use a surge protector, but still......)

i have my entire system set up so it's off, not even in stand by.

if you really would want your amp off you can get a power conditioner like i have. (Furman 20pfi). there are other options of furman, but all have the same great filteration. basically you would have a 12 v trigger (or you can fake it with a wal wart) set up from your receiver to the furman. when the receiver turns on, it turns on specific outlets of the furman. that way you can plug your amp into one of the outlets and have power cut away from it. yes the furman costs quite a bit, but i don't have anything in stand by making my electric bill higher. i also have my Sub on a swichable outlet. that way with 1 button control everything turns on including the sub, so it is very WAF friendly.