Design Ideas Please

shake777

This is my new HT. Empty space is appx. 16 X 18-4 (using the upstairs dimensions). My wife does not want a wall parallel to the long wall so I'm considering setting it up with the screen centered on that long wall. Especially since I have the wide/height option with the Denon I think it could work. We are only having one row of four seat and I'm planning a screen of at least a hundred inches. I know its unconventional and I would appreciate input.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and reminders about any aspect of this HT are welcomed even though I am going to have a pro help me design it. We are not taking possession of the property until August 21st and I want a head start. I have not decided if its going to be a DIY build or not but at least some of it will. I don't have all the skills but willing relatives and friends do. Thanks, Nic

post-32935-13819600716338_thumb.jpg

post-32935-13819619234554_thumb.jpg

Man, that's a nice area to setup your HT... [Y]

Using the 18'-4" wall for your screen and a 100" screen centered your seat-to-screen viewing distance is 10'. A nice distance for the row of seating, but then you will have a lot of dead space on either side of the screen. What are you planning on doing with that? Also I see that you have a wall for the rear right speaker what is in the rear left area?

If you used the 16' wall and still centered your screen I think you would have a better layout and use the space better. The back area behind the row of seats can be used for popcorn machine or DVD storage units and possible another row of seats. You really don't need a wall parallel to the long wall just have it open since the speakers are pointed at the 18'-4" distance.

Which speaker combination are you planning on using for this setup?

James

Thanks James. I'm using a 9.1 system with RF7 front, RF82 wide, RB81 front height, RC64 center, RB35 surround, and RT12d sub. At this time I am going under the assumption that the front height speakers are better than using rears. That's what Audyssey believes. I might set it up both ways before I build just to satisfy my curiosity. I've experimented with the wide channel some in the present smaller space and I am tempted to think the 82s will fill up the wings if I go that way. I'm glad you think a mate for the long wall isn't necessary if I set up as you suggest. Nic

Nic,

That new HT is going to be nice with that 9.1 setup. I'm going to look into it a little more.

Since this is going on the long wall, how much space is going to be behind the row of seats? What's the total size of your basement? You have to remember that if the whole basement is open it will affect the sound at the seating location.

James

Thanks James. The thing is the basement has got to be something like a thousand square and its all behind the theater area. None of that space is good for a theater. In my newest wierd brainstorm I hang the screen facing the long wall with most of the speakers in an arc along with it. I don't need much space behind the seats because, at present, I have the surrounds parallel to the seating area and I love having that much access to that sound if I want it. I feel truly surrounded by sound that way. The WAF is going to be a real problem. Nic