An important reminder from Our Leader.

pmsummer

Ah yes, the venerable Paul Klipsch.

How we still keep his legacy alive by buying and listening to these awesome Klipsch speakers.

It was not to long after I got my RF-7/B&K rig when I finally got to see my first Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert.

They played "Christmas Nights in Blue" at the concert, only for me to get back home and play that exact same song off of thier The Lost Christmas Eve album, it just friggan blew me away at how close it was to what I heard at the concert! Turned out it was the same singer that I saw live that is also on the album. It was like I was right back at that concert and hearing it being played right in front of me again (I was in the third row, center seat - the singer was not even 15 feet in front of me when I saw it live).

It was just such an awe inspiring experience. I could not figure it it was that I had that good of a sound setup, the performance itself was that good, or the CD recording was that good as well. Perhaps a combination of all three.

Granted, it may not have been K-horns on Mac gear, but I am not complaining about my RF-7s on B&K gear.

Klipsch.... the only speakers I have ever owned since 1971 that did NOT any "extra" require bass, treble, etc tone controls, loudness switch useage, etc.

amen to that, not that Klipsch were or are the only speakers I have ever owned, but the only speakers I have ever owned that don't need tone or bass control knobs. Mine are all flat or at zero. Thanks for great post.

It's sort of an old-fashioned idea (except for unamplified performances like symphonic music and The Spankers [;)]), as most music you hear "live" is actually amplified (and often not well). Of course, I don't think Paul was talking about Led Zeppelin anyway.

It's sort of an old-fashioned idea (except for unamplified performances like symphonic music and The Spankers Wink), as most music you hear "live" is actually amplified (and often not well). Of course, I don't think Paul was talking about Led Zeppelin anyway.

It's not the amplification that buggers everything, it's the jigglin' of the material in the studio/post-production. That's where the sound falls into the realm of fantasy.

Looking at the CDs the Klipsch staff likes to play in the Hope demo-room (pretty typical stereo showroom stuff with lots of sonic 'wow'), I'm sorry to say they may be in danger of losing touch with real REproduction as well. But then it's a business afterall, and not a mission.

I agree that live sound is a good measure for evaluating the reproduction of sound, even amplified live sound. But am I the only one here who sees a discrepancy between "no need for tone controls" line of thinking and the severe manipulation of the tone necessary to make Klipsch Jubilees work properly?

I know some of you here hate it when I bring this subject up, but is there really much difference between adding loudness and presence to Blastophonic 88's and the EQ curve added to Klipsch Jubilees?

I like the hard line stance that PWK held with the design of his loudspeakers, including the idea that they reproduced music accurately, without the need for tone controls. It seems to me that the current thinking with some Klipschophiles, is that there is a better way through the use of electronic signal manipulation, and I believe that puts them at direct odds with the way PWK thought about speaker design.

Greg

I know some of you here hate it when I bring this subject up, but is there really much difference between adding loudness and presence to Blastophonic 88's and the EQ curve added to Klipsch Jubilees?

While I don't have any speakers in the house that require pre-emphasis or de-emphasis in the supplied signal and can't really see why a properly designed speaker would need any, in defence of such I might note that vinyl sounds pretty awful without RIAA.

EQ is useful to overcome limitations in media when there is no better solution.

Dave

• Moderators

OK I have a question, One forum member built a passive crossover that does the exact same thing that an active crossovers does which is the EQ curve your talking about because he wanted to not use Pro amps and wanted to wire it differently for tubes and not an active crossover. How is that different than any other crossover including some of the extreme slope crossovers ?

I know his were big but a big part of that was because he wanted to use the best parts available no matter cost, so instead of the little coil looking things his where huge, it could have been done smaller and cheaper.

I am NO expert on any of this but to me if you want passive instead of active crossovers what is the big difference if use an EV dX 38 active or normal crossover to design the curves, active just gives you more choices, like an adjustable crossover where you can also adjust the slope and timing of each driver.

I am asking, I thought the parts used in a normal crossover is what they use to call a "balancing network ", it set the signal tone going to the driver ? Some speakers have more or less parts than others looking at just Klipsch crossovers.

I know Klipsch uses a basic crossover, I hate to use the word cheap but there not expensive or the last word in crossovers, there is a large market for improved and better designed crossovers being sold, some are more than what some of these speakers cost used. PWK had to design and build to meet a basic need not to get the max from each of his design, cost was a big deal. With the Jube it's not an official design to be sold it's like a project that does not have to meet cost spec's on the crossover and these active crossovers are about as fancy as available, not the minimum.

Again I am definitely NOT the person to answer these questions, I just thought that was how it worked ?

I agree that live sound is a good measure for evaluating the reproduction of sound, even amplified live sound. But am I the only one here who sees a discrepancy between "no need for tone controls" line of thinking and the severe manipulation of the tone necessary to make Klipsch Jubilees work properly?

I like the hard line stance that PWK held with the design of his loudspeakers, including the idea that they reproduced music accurately, without the need for tone controls. It seems to me that the current thinking with some Klipschophiles, is that there is a better way through the use of electronic signal manipulation, and I believe that puts them at direct odds with the way PWK thought about speaker design.

Greg

Do you want to sell your Jubilees or 402s. I am interested if so!

rigma