Tube amp for 2 channel listening in the Home Theater system.

Bikeboy

Hi everybody getting back into the 2 channel thing and need your help. Currently using a Marantz SR8000 with Forte ll, Networks were update 4 yrs ago by Chris Munson. Yes this is a Home Theater set up that I would like to get a bit more let's say refined 2 channel listening from. Using a Marantz DV7600 as a source for now. What I’m thinking of doing is using the SR8000 as a preamp and getting a tube amp to drive the Forte lls with. The tube amp would also be used in the theater setup so I’m thinking the vintage stuff is out for now. (Have a Scott 340A in need of rebuilding someday!). I’m thinking maybe a Jolida JD502P amp or a Quicksilver Mini-Mite Mono, Antique Sounds Labs wave AV-25 DT, PrimaLuna, and finally a Bob Latino Dynaco ST-70. Any thoughts on these amps or any others for a good everyday tube amp in $1000.00 - $1200.00 range. Sorry for being a bit long winded. I think the Tube Gods have gotten a hold of me again after all these years. Thanks Bikeboy

Any of those mentioned are probably good choices for your need and budget. However, just be aware that *most* of the "valve sound" character is *usually* produced in the preamp section.

Guest davidness

I use a tube amp in my home theater system that also is my 2-channel system. I have a Bob Latino ST-120 being driven by my Yamaha AV receiver's pre-outs. I like it very, very much

I've used a pair of Decware SE84's bridged mono for forte II's...just barely adequate for stereo, would probably lack for HT use. They do sound great, truly fantastic actually, just limited. If you live below 100db, they are a solution worth considering.

Good luck on your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of homework and decided on a Music Reference RM-10 ll. Just got it on Thursday, so far I am thrilled. A few of the deciding factors were Roger extended the sale price of $500 off to me, putting it just into the upper range of what I wanted to spend (well to tell the truth I have an understanding fiancé too). Also having had an RM-9 in the late 80's with Cornwall lls I thought it would be a great match. So far I am extremely impressed. I’ll post a detailed review within the next month. PS had the EL84s upgraded to RAM Gold Loins.Thanks to all that responded.

Bikeboy