Age of these La Scalas?

Toobwacky

Hi All,

I'm corresponding with the owner of a pair of La Scalas which I'm considering purchasing. They are around 300 miles away, so I need to be sure I want these before I make the drive to see them.

The owner gave me these serial numbers: 8415031 & 8415032. Does this indicate they were manufactured in 1984? The cross-overs are AL, mid is the K-55-M driver, cabs look like they are in very good condition and were raw birch, but look like they might have tung oil or possibly lacquer on them. This is all I can deduce from the pictures I've been sent Assuming these play alright, what is a fair price for them?

Thanks for any and all information regarding these La Scalas.

I will let the experts chime in about years/ dating/ progressing to going steady; etc......... [:o]

I have seen La Scalas go from $400 (beat up) to $1000+ (pristine). Fair price is what you both can mutually agree on.

Assuming they are in good shape; and all drivers are functioning, I would guess somewhere in the middle is a good starting point.

Good Luck.... Post a pic if you get them...... [:D]

Ironslave is right on, although I would say $400 is very low for any respectable Scalas. Black (LS-BB) tend to go for lower prices. I would guess that if they work and aren't beat up, $750-$800 would be ballpark (again, right in the middle of what Ironslave said).

I think, I could be wrong, that they are not '84 vintage. I thought the heritage lines through 1984 used a letter in the serial, with 'Z' indicating 1984. Your serials are all numbers. Again, there are many here who can give a better answer.