Reference RB-51 vs RB-61 (as front speakers)

yojoe74

I have a Sub-12 which I do not plan on replacing, but I am looking at the bookshelf Klipsch RB-51s to replace my Quintet SLs.

Knowing that the sub easily handles the low end, I could set the receiver crossover for the RB-51 at 60hz (it is rated down to 50hz).

Would there be any reason why I should go with the RB-61s which go down to 43hz?

Note that I use my home theater for 100% movies... no music at all.

Also note that I am purchasing the Reference Center Speaker RC-52 and the Surrounds RS-42s.

Welcome to the forums YoJoe!

I've never heard the RB-51s but I have heard the RB-61s, they are great bookshelf speakers! I would personally go with the 61s as they are substantially bigger (if I recall almost twice the size) I think you would definitely notice a difference between the two of them. The 61s also are front firing ports so in most applications it is easier to set them up. As for your RC-52 it is a great center speaker and it would be a huge difference from the Quintet that you are using now. I have a sub 12 as well,it will blend well with either bookshelf.

i have the 51's and 61's in my system with rf-62's and rc-62 front center channel, talked to someone at klipsch and told me 80 hz is best setting to run all the speakers at, I had originally called because was having issues with my sub-12 not getting any sound with my new pioneer receiver and told me to set all my speakers to small, and leave the crossover setting at 8- hertz, i dont know enough about the difference it will make setting crossover lower than 80 hertz, I personally love the sound that the 61's produce over the 51's which im using as my outside surround 7.1 speakers.

Thanks for the link Ironsave, I don't know how to post a link on my BB.

You are welcome!

For me, it is a copy (link at address bar) and paste into the post.

I use IE 8, I will bet other browsers are different; may not work as simple on this site.

I do not know for sure.....