Help, Onkyo M-504 compared Yamaha M-80

Matthews

Hey all, I have wanted a vintage Onkyo for some time now. I am looking at the M-504 at 165 wpc. Currently I am running the Yamaha M-80 at 250 wpc. Can anyone help me with some comparisons. I am very happy with the Yammy and am a little hesitant on this purchase. Anyone with some info/opinions on advantages and drawbacks is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

Thanks for the input. I really cant decide. I have until Sunday night to make a decision. This is not a need, simply a want. The Onkyo amp is just so beatiful, its presence alone is striking. I can get the M-504 for $499 + S/H, seller stated unit is flawless. Simply a bargain I am not sure I want to let slip away. So what if I have to eat Cornflakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh [8o|] Just cant decide!!!

Now the waiting game begins AGAIN!!! Finally bit the bullet. My new amp is on its way...

DOES THE MADDNESS EVER END? gotta love new toys though Big Smile

M-504.jpg picture by mattao1970

You know Matt, I'm beginning to think you are a fan of BIG OL' POWER GAUGES/METERS!!! [:P] And there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Congratulations my friend! She's a beauty! [<:o)]

Does the madness ever end? Heck No!!! [:o] But there are times of contentment that can't be beat! [;)]

Keep us posted,

Dennie

You know Matt, I'm beginning to think you are a fan of BIG OL' POWER GAUGES/METERS!!! Stick out tongue And there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Congratulations my friend! She's a beauty! Party!!!

Hey Dennie,

Thanks man, I am excited for yet another new toy. And yes, I do love those "BIG OL' POWER METERS"!!! [;)] I cant wait to see what they look like in my system. Also I am very interested to see how the two amps compare head to head. I am definitely rooting for the underdog here. The ol' Yammy has a 85 wpc longer reach on the Oinker. You know I will keep you updated on the bout'.

Keep on Rockin' Brother,

Matt

Now the waiting game begins AGAIN!!! Finally bit the bullet. My new amp is on its way...

DOES THE MADDNESS EVER END? gotta love new toys though Big Smile

Matt,

Beautiful piece. Hope you got it for what you wanted to pay. If you think it may not be enough for your RF-7's, just let it run your tweeters while the M-80 handles the woofers. Turn the lights out and watch the light show and the needles dance.

Bill

Beautiful piece. Hope you got it for what you wanted to pay. If you think it may not be enough for your RF-7's, just let it run your tweeters while the M-80 handles the woofers. Turn the lights out and watch the light show and the needles dance.

Hi Bill,

Hey thanks, the 504 has a striking presence doesnt it... I never even thought about bi-amping the two. Definitely something to consider if the Oinker just wont push as hard as I like. I will certainly give her the maiden voyage alone first though. Although, you are right, what a nice little light show that would be. You know how I love those "BIG OL' METERS".

I did find the deal I was looking for, $399. I got it from the gentlemen at Audio Classics, Vestal New York. Hopefully arrives by next weedend. I will be sure to give updates.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASANTLY disappointed. The Onkyo is simply, in my eyes, a work of art. Unfortunately it just does not hit nearly as hard as I like. It has a very clean and crisp sound as I expected, just not the super hard hitter like my Yamaha. I did try bi-amping but was not satisfied with the outcome. I have been wanting one of these pieces for quite some time now and it is exactly what I was expecing if not more. Another fine piece for my collection [;)]

Thanks everyone for you thoughts and input.

Hmmmm? anyone have an M-588 for sale? [:P]

Keep on Rockin'

Matt

Matt,

I'm sorry the Onkyo M-504 is not the chest pounding amp you were hoping for. Another $1000.00 plus and you could have gotten this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-Integra-M-588F-power-amp-excellent-condition-/150483688281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2

No afilliation.

Or maybe even this one. LOL. You might need a forklift.

Bill

post-26822-13819620039634_thumb.jpg

Matt,

I'm sorry the Onkyo M-504 is not the chest pounding amp you were hoping for. Another $1000.00 plus dollars and you could have gotten this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-Integra-M-588F-power-amp-excellent-condition-/150483688281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2

No afilliation.

Or maybe even this one. LOL. You might need a forklift.

m-510.jpg

Bill

OMG MATT!!!!!! [<:o)]

Look at those guages!!!! [:P]

LOL!!! Keep On Rockin' Matt!

There is always something around the corner! [:S]

mcintosh_1201_x2.jpg

Dennie[;)]

mcintosh_1201_x2.jpg

DennieWink

DENNIE? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME? Indifferent

Must have those McIntosh!!! Dennie? How are you going to explain this to Jamaca Hmm

Keep on Rockin' Brother Yes

Matt

Hey Matt, those are 1200 watts EACH!!! Yeah Baby!! [:P]

...and I knew Jamaca would have to like them also. So, repeat after me.....Look at the pretty blue lights, Hun! They make your eyes look fantastic and your butt look TINY!! [^] It works every time!! [<:o)]

Keep on Rockin' Brother!

Dennie [;)]

Hey Matt, those are 1200 watts EACH!!! Yeah Baby!! Stick out tongue

...and I knew Jamaca would have to like them also. So, repeat after me.....Look at the pretty blue lights, Hun! They make your eyes look fantastic and your butt look TINY!! Cake It works every time!! Party!!!

Keep on Rockin' Brother!

Dennie Wink

I have enjoyed this short thread.....

Dennie; thanks for my laugh of the day!

OP Matt; I wish you luck on your search for chest pounding sound.

[Y]

...and I knew Jamaca would have to like them also. So, repeat after me.....Look at the pretty blue lights, Hun! They make your eyes look fantastic and your butt look TINY!! Cake It works every time!! Party!!!

Dennie! That very well may be the ticket. Thanks for the wonderful chuckle my friend... [:D]

Hats off to ya Brother!

Matt

Dennie! That very well may be the ticket. Thanks for the wonderful chuckle my friend... Big Smile

Hats off to ya Brother!

Matt

Enjoy every day Matt, as I know you do! [^]

Dennie