Was I insulted or complemented ?

dtel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

That is a great site, I book marked it to go back and look at later. Thank you for that, I just don't remember some of it. [:$] The Warehouse was my favorite place to see a concert, good ole Beaver productions.

I remember one of my favorite shows at Audubon Park, ZZ Top Fandago tour with the Aerosmith Toys in the Attic tour all in one show, there was someone else there I think but I can't remember.

• Moderators

Eldon, in response to the question that started the thread, do you care either way?

Nope

It just was strange sounding, until the last 5-6 years I always had long hair, but my wife likes it short and I have to say it is alot more convenient and comfortable with the heat. My neighbor/friend is about 12 years older than me and would always call me a hippie when my hair was long so I haven't heard that in years.

I really could care less, I don't have a problem with it, I think there just jealous, what do they have today, cell phones and malls and crappy music.

Eldon, in response to the question that started the thread, do you care either way?

Nope

It just was strange sounding, until the last 5-6 years I always had long hair, but my wife likes it short and I have to say it is alot more convenient and comfortable with the heat. My neighbor/friend is about 12 years older than me and would always call me a hippie when my hair was long so I haven't heard that in years.

I really could care less, I don't have a problem with it, I think there just jealous, what do they have today, cell phones and malls and crappy music.

They can have their cell phones and crappy music, we had good music, cruising on the weekends, and sex that did not give you HIV, so who had it better? I feel sad for my kids because of these jack holes running things in the ground for all the future generations and all of the freedoms they will never have.

Roger

Roger

• Moderators

Might have been some hippie screwin around with those *** green monkeys that brought on the hiv .

Back then you just thought you were looking at green monkeys, and the walls moving and a bunch of other stuff...............but it was all in your head. [:S]

Might have been some hippie screwin around with those *** green monkeys that brought on the hiv .

Back then you just thought you were looking at green monkeys, and the walls moving and a bunch of other stuff...............but it was all in your head. Tongue Tied

Nope , it was real . It was just the dialation in your eyes making you think it was all in your head . I think .

Konopa = definitely hippie

I'm ok with being an old hippie, it gives me great 'street cred' with bands I work with.

Not sure if you've been complimented as much as 'labeled'.Did the kid dig the music? I think you play some great stuff.

You need longer hair to be a real hippie though Eldon.

Or smoke funny cigarettes.

Here's one for ya. I'm helping a friend's son load in his drum kit to a club called the Rock House. I've got on an old Page/Plant t-shirt since I've just come from a show with cover band who did Zep material. I pass this kid on the way in and he's got on a retro-look Led Zep shirt. I say 'nice shirt mang'. Without missing a beat he says to me 'Man I hope I have hair as cool as you in 30 years'. Now was that a compliment or ???? The 30 years bit kind of threw me.

We're going to need to see that photo of you with long hair mang. Really just post it mmmk?

Michael

Konopa = definitely hippie

I'm ok with being an old hippie, it gives me great 'street cred' with bands I work with.

Or in my case - with the bands that I sponsor!

IMG_2895Medium.jpg

Yup - that's me with Sabaton at last year's ProgPower USA. This is the band that I sponsored for the festival. This year's ProgPower, I am sponsoring DGM. In addition, already got a sponsorship bid in for next year's ProgPower. Don't know which band I'll be sponsoring yet for that one.

• Moderators

Here's one for ya. I'm helping a friend's son load in his drum kit to a club called the Rock House. I've got on an old Page/Plant t-shirt since I've just come from a show with cover band who did Zep material. I pass this kid on the way in and he's got on a retro-look Led Zep shirt. I say 'nice shirt mang'. Without missing a beat he says to me 'Man I hope I have hair as cool as you in 30 years'. Now was that a compliment or ???? The 30 years bit kind of threw me.

I would say that was a compliment, but with a little slap, at least he didn't call you pops !

hey steve, just curious...what does "sponsoring" a band entail? sounds like you get to meet quite a few musicians. i used to live a few doors down from a band and hung out at their pad all the time--it was real cool.

"Sponsoring" a band pretty much entails that I am basically paying for these guys to play at that festival - and considering this particular band came from Sweden..... And people b[8]tch about how expensive Rolling Stone tickets are? [:o]

Admittedly, it is cool to get full VIP access to the festival, though (including back-stage access, VIP lounge, come and go as I please, allowed to take pictures right up at the stage in front of the barrier, and so forth). Getting to see a band that has never played the States before and then having them pretty much blowing the roof of the place was worth every single dime I've dropped on this! These guys put on one totally KILLER set! And then having half the d[:@]mn attendance wanting to buy me drinks when they found out that I sponsered these guys to be there (not like they could just look in the program or the website and there it is - "band sponsor - Steven Konopa"!)! [:S]

But yeah, I get to see and meet all kinds of musicians. Everybody from Nightwish:

IMG_2125Medium.jpg

to Symphony X:

IMG_2468Medium.jpg

to Stratovarious:

me-kotipelto-porra.jpg

To Sonata Arctica:

Picture034Medium.jpg

Plus many, many others.

What really gets me is to just how down to earth these guys really are! Sometimes I wonder who is more excited here - me getting to see these guys playing or they getting to play for me! I guess that is why I support this scene so much and do whatever I can promote it and trying to keep it alive!

Like one of my friends once told me, "You will never see that at a pop concert!".