opinions-jolida 502 tube amp+j100 cd & 94' khorns?

msutton

i have been looking at getting a entry level tube powered setup for my khorns and have been doing some research online. i have read positive things about the jolida line of hifi gear and think i have decided on a jolida 502 (60w x 2) integrated tube amp along with a jolida j100 cd player to power my 94' klipschorns. ive owned a couple of mcintosh solid state amps, but never a tube amp so im going on others opinions that i have read that tube amps will make these speakers come alive. can anyone comment on how this combo might sound as far as vocals, and just as important to me the bass output? if it matters, i think this amp uses kt88 tubes. i still have a few questions though switching over to tube amps such as, how do you adjust bass or trebile on an amp like this if the sound is not to your liking? it dosent appear to have any tone controls so you simply accept what you hear? one other thing is while researching i see there are several places that do mods or upgrades to these amps. i will probably experiment with different tubes at some point, but are any of the internal mods really worth the money as far as impacting the sound any great degree? thanks for your input

In addition to Jolida, I'd also investigate Cayin and PrimaLuna. The latter two companies also offer very good value for the money. Modern tube amplifiers are designed to provide a very flat frequency response, hence the elimination of tone controls which, unless they are very carefully designed/implemented, can reduce the sound quality. If you are really determined to have that option you are forced into buying a vintage tube amp (keeping in mind that it would need to be very carefully restored to provide safe and long term usability), or "tuning" the room by using various sound absorbing materials, changing carpeting, etc. K-horns sound incredible with tube amplification (in most situations, even 5 watts/channel is more than sufficient). But, sound quality is very subjective; the only way you will be able to make a judgment is to hook one up in your installation and listen to it. Some dealers will allow you to bring an amp home for audition, and others offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the purchase. With many tube amps, bass is not quite as "tight" or deep as with solid state amps. At the same time, I find tube amps to be far more pleasing through the midrange and top end rendering vocals much more pleasing and natural to listen to. As far as modifications go, you will find as many opinions as there are users. Again, you will have to make your own judgments here. Good luck!

I have owned the Jolida 302b (50 watt EL34), JD1000A (100 watt EL34) and JD100 CD Player at one time or another. I believe their products are good, and the one time I had an issue I called and Mike Allen (owner) answered and chatted me up for 15 minutes about audio stuff in general (after he answered my question).
As others have said (and will say I'm sure), there are other companies that supply good products as well.
I've found their tube amps to be reliable and sensitive to tube rolling, specifically the small signal tubes. They sound pretty darn good IMO.
The CDP is also reliable and sounds good, you can roll the tubes in it too to tweak the sound.

My personal opinion is that you do not need a 60-watt amplifier to drive the KHorns. I realize I'm an extreme case driving my '65s with a 4-watt 2A3 amp, but I think that most people would be happy with less power. So my suggestion would be to keep an open mind about lower power amps if the opportunity to hear one in your system presents itself. I also believe you would be very happy with either the 302b or the 502b. Research the differences between EL34 and 6550/KT88, because the differences in tube types and circuit design would far outweigh the differences in the extra 10 watts of the 502b.

thank you all for your input!

sebrof,

when you said - Research the differences between EL34 and 6550/KT88, because the
differences in tube types and circuit design would far outweigh the
differences in the extra 10 watts of the 502b -

do you mean that the jd302/El34 is a perferable design to jd502/kt88? i have read good reviews on both, but from what i understood from comparisons i had read was the kt88 amps would provide more in the bass area over the el34 amps. having listened to neither of these amps though, either might satisfy me in the bass department...im just worried having listened to solid state for so long and having controls for the bass (and treble) i will be unhappy if the sound is bass shy.

The amount of bass you get from a tube amp is more dependent on the output transformer and power supply characteristics than the tubes themselves. It might pay to call the companies whose products interest you and discuss that aspect with one of their tech people. As mentioned before, no one can tell you if you will be pleased with the amount and quality of the bass you get with any particular tube amp. You must connect it in your own system, listen to your favorite music through it, and formulate your own conclusion. But, in general, tube amps do not provide the same bass output, and tightness, of a quality solid state amplifier.

thank you all for your input!

sebrof,

when you said - Research the differences between EL34 and 6550/KT88, because the differences in tube types and circuit design would far outweigh the differences in the extra 10 watts of the 502b -

do you mean that the jd302/El34 is a perferable design to jd502/kt88? i have read good reviews on both, but from what i understood from comparisons i had read was the kt88 amps would provide more in the bass area over the el34 amps. having listened to neither of these amps though, either might satisfy me in the bass department...im just worried having listened to solid state for so long and having controls for the bass (and treble) i will be unhappy if the sound is bass shy.

What tube fan said, good stuff.

If you are serioulsy considering the Jolidas, I would give them a call. As I said in my earlier post, when I called them Mike Allen himself answered, and HE kept ME on the phone, not the other way around. That was 5 years ago, so not sure what will happen now. Just tell them what you are looking for, what you have and where you want to go. I doubt seriously they'll suggest a 502 just because it's more expensive, I would expect them to listen and to work with you and make an appropriate recommendation (a Jolida product, of course). This hobby is like a hobby to some of those guys, even though they make their living in it. And believe me, you won't be the first "I've never had a tube amp but hear they're great" guy to call them this week. [:)]