I'm done

wuzzzer

emotive support just knew more about the ps3, he even owns one. i just posted it on CL, i'll see what happens. the decision for me is simple. if i am going to invents in separate units (umc, xpa, lpa) then why not utilize all that they offer? i should be able to see mine for the same cost as a new so i shouldn't feel the pocket book pinch.

emotiva said it has something to do with the chip. the dts hd, master, etc wasn't out yet, so the chip doesn't know they exist. (i am paraphrasing of course).

i don't care about being backwards compatible so really that unit doesn't offer anything more than a new one. i don't like the power brick or the type of cord. that being said, i can make a new one......yeah......(being sarcastic of course).

sorry didn't mean to hijack.....

i just posted it on CL, i'll see what happens. the decision for me is simple. if i am going to invents in separate units (umc, xpa, lpa) then why not utilize all that they offer? i should be able to see mine for the same cost as a new so i shouldn't feel the pocket book pinch.

How come the old used PS3s are bringing the same money as a new PS3 slim? We have Xbox 360 & Wii but only an old PS2 that I'm not sure even gets used anymore so I don't know much about the PS3s

It's really easy for a hobby like building an HT to become a money-pit obsession. We've had pleasure horses for years and I've seen it with that hobby big time also; it was always trying to find one faster, smoother, bigger front end, and on and on. The total secret to all this is WANTING WHAT YOU HAVE, NOT HAVING WHAT YOU WANT!! You've been a great help online to me Mark; I wish you only, only the best.

listening to music - left brain person

a. power conditions

b. interferance status

c. room temp

d. placement of wires

e. speaker positon vs sitting position

f. unity gain alignments

g. tube rolled date due

h. capacitor replacement status

i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, etc, etc

listening to music - right brain person

a. could you put it a little louder and hand me a beer

• Moderators

listening to music - right brain person

a. could you put it a little louder and hand me a beer

That's the way to do it.

Nothing wrong with taking a break, you have a very nice lineup,of course there's always something better but there's NO end to that.

Take a break and enjoy it, a few years ago would you have thought you would have this.........

------------Mark
-----------Klipsch forté II 1992 Oak Oil with Bob Crites' (BEC) networks and titanium tweeter diaphragms
----------Klipsch forté I 1988 Walnut Oil surrounds
---------SVS CS-Ultra subwoofer
--------Samson S1000 pro amp
-------Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp
------Emotiva LPA-1 amplifier
-----Sony PlayStation 3 (60gig)
----Nintendo Wii
---Mitsubishi WD65C9 65" DLP HDTV - 1080p 120Hz
--APC C10 Power Filter
-Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 in the office

All cables from http://www.monoprice.com

Yeah, now that I have a center that is able to keep up (in my mind) with the rest of the system, and a sub also completely capable......

It has been easy going as well.... I still want CWs, but I am content with my system and can wait; unless I find a pair for $200-$300 at a garage sale or something......

So.... I applaud you Wuzzer....

[Y]

I have both PS3s and the "old" one is in the HT and the new one is in the TV room. I don't worry about over working the old unit, the only time it gets used is to play movies, the new one gets used mainly for games and pictures. I figgure that by the time I wear out the old one, I will have had enough use out of it to call it even anyway.

As to upgradeitus, yep had it bad and I still can go bonkers if I let myself. Not only with audio, but with anything I take an interest in. One lesson I learned is to just buy what I want from the start rather than upgrading to it later. This saves LOTS of money over the years. That said, the best way I have found to avoid upgrading is to STOP LOOKING when I have something I like. I am really happy with my 2 ch and HT setups. One day when my current PJ uses up it's lamp, I will likely replace it with a new PJ over buying a new lamp as it is a 720 unit and I am projecting over a 120" HD format screen. But, until there is a NEED, I force myself to STOP LOOKING LOL![:P]

Good advise Cal, I stopped looking a couple of years ago and have been very content with my set up. We spend so much time putting together a system, now it is time to ENJOY THE SYSTEM!!

I love my system! Could it be better? Sure it can. Does it need to be better? No!

So, now I buy music to enjoy on my system and am having a ball doing it. I buy 90% of my music used, so it is like I am saving money! Or at least that is what I tell myself. Also for every $50 I spend on music, I put $50 in savings. This has worked out great for my music collection and my savings account! [;)]

Good call Mark, enjoy what you have. You put a lot of time and effort building it........Enjoy it! [:P]

(Did you see the Belles for sale for $500?) [:o] LOL [;)]

Dennie

When I was a teenage boy and was into car audio, it seemed like I was always wanting something more. My youth pastor taught one night on being contempt. Afterwards, I shared with him my story and asked how do I know if I'm not being contempt? He said something that always stuck with me. He told me that it's one thing to have a goal in mind and work towards that goal. If there is an end in sight, that's a good thing. If however, it's just a never ending cycle of wanting more, wanting something better, wanting the latest/greatest, that was when we are considered to not be contempt.

I'm sure if your youth pastor was teaching his pupils to be contempt he would have been thrown out by the congregation. I'm sure he was teaching you to be content.

Contempt and content have totally different connotations (and meanings, of course).

Good advise Cal, I stopped looking a couple of years ago and have been very content with my set up. We spend so much time putting together a system, now it is time to ENJOY THE SYSTEM!!

I love my system! Could it be better? Sure it can. Does it need to be better? No!

Same here! I don't think I've made any changes to my system in the past few years. Granted, I do want to replace my very getting-long-in-the-tooth Denon AVR3802 reciever that I was using a pre-amp for the past 6 or so years. I am eying a B&K Reference 70 pre-pro, which does have all the latest bells and whistles.

Still rocking with a CRT rear-projection high-deff TV (A Diamond Series Mitsubishi), but the picture on that thing is still friggan awesome and I just have no desire to upgrade it anytime soon. Of course, I absolulely love this B&K with the RF-7s, so it is not like I've am jonesing for any real amp or speaker upgrades. There is just no room for something like KHorns and the like in that room. Of course, I'd like to score a pair of Cornwalls and a better turntable than what I currently got for the basement two-channel rig (than again, I need to hook back up what I currently got - been a while since I've listened to it),

The only audio related purchases (besides the music itself) that I made in the past year was getting the rig for the back deck. That only consisted of a Denon DRA-397 two-channel reciever into a couple of the Klipsch AWR-650 "rock" speakers. Recycled an old CD player, as well as got the accompanying iPod dock for the reciever. In addition, also used one of the spare outputs from the Elan Via!DJ music server. Plenty good enough to have some tunes outdoors while relaxing on the back deck after throwing a steak on the grill and then chowing down on a nice big juicy chunk of watermelon after the steak and potatos.

Just never felt the need to be constantly looking for upgrades, so I never really bother to keep fishing CL or eBay or what-have-ya for deals. That being said, if I run across something really sweet, I will grab it up. LIke I said above, would love to score a pair of Cornwalls or even KHorns for my two-channel rig down in the basement.

How come the old used PS3s are bringing the same money as a new PS3 slim? We have Xbox 360 & Wii but only an old PS2 that I'm not sure even gets used anymore so I don't know much about the PS3s

Not all of them do. The ones that people mainly are interested are ones such as mine that are backwards compatible with almost all PS2 games. The original 20 and 60 gig PS3s pretty much had all the guts of a PS2 inside them as far as I understand. One later model had a software based PS2 emulator built in but wasn't compatible with nearly as many games. Lots people still have old PS2 games they like to play and its nice to have a system that can play both. The newer slim models and the last fat PS3s released don't play any PS2 games.

That's the way to do it.

Nothing wrong with taking a break, you have a very nice lineup,of course there's always something better but there's NO end to that.

Take a break and enjoy it, a few years ago would you have thought you would have this.........

------------Mark
-----------Klipsch forté II 1992 Oak Oil with Bob Crites' (BEC) networks and titanium tweeter diaphragms
----------Klipsch forté I 1988 Walnut Oil surrounds
---------SVS CS-Ultra subwoofer
--------Samson S1000 pro amp
-------Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp
------Emotiva LPA-1 amplifier
-----Sony PlayStation 3 (60gig)
----Nintendo Wii
---Mitsubishi WD65C9 65" DLP HDTV - 1080p 120Hz
--APC C10 Power Filter
-Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 in the office

All cables from http://www.monoprice.com

Exactly my point, dtel. When I stand back and look at what I have I should be extremely content and happy. I am happy, but contentment has been the challenging part.

If however, it's just a never ending cycle of wanting more, wanting something better, wanting the latest/greatest, that was when we are considered to not be contempt. I'm saving for a new processor, and after puchasing I'll try my best to cool it for a while. I had the same HT setup for 6 years with no changes.