considering used Heresy's - strange serial number and finish??

t-man

The owner says he ordered them in Dec 1980 with slanted risers and has untouched them since new. They have scratches and such from moving, but all the corners appear sharp. Should be hopefully an easy sand and varnish.... HOWEVER, the tag says HWL, but the pics show a much lighter honey type stain color. I asked the owner about this, and he told me that he changed his mind several days after placing the order for HWL, and since the speakers hadn't been finished yet by Klipsch, they were able to change the stain color and they appear simply "clear finished". He has no paperwork. The serial numbers are: 130W236 and 130W235

I thought the first digits only contained 2 numerals, but this one has 3. Both the tags and the stamping on the rear of the cabinets are the same. Could the change order speakers have different types of serial numbers? If I got these, I would want more of the proper walnut stain finish, but would the way these are now present any additional value/rarity that I shouldn't mess with? What do you all think these may be worth?

3m33o73lc5O45Y35S0a89250427b60bbf1e9c.jp3n53o63lb5Z35W45S3a89ea5b513f9f531dec.jp

Hey T-man, you may get a better response in the Technical section.

They sure are good lookin' speakers. Keep in mind that you will benefit from updating the capacitors of these 30 year old speakers, so add that to the cost. It is much easier than it sounds, if you are not familiar with doing this.

Dennie

The "W" in the serial number indicates 1981 for the date of manufacture... Here is a link to a Date Code page. Several others exist as well.

The "HWL" next to the type makes it a Heresy - in Walnut with a Lacquered finish. Lacquered Walnut would be lighter than Oiled Walnut, so that might explain the lighter color in the photo. But unless you've seen them up close in person, it's hard to tell from the photo. Whether the seller is telling the truth??? You can call Klipsch and give them the serial numbers, and they should be able to tell you if any changes were made. But generally the serial number sticker would be correct.

There are some "errors" in those other "date code" links outside of Klipsch.

The thread with the "approved" codes, serial data, finishes, etc. is: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

The same data from the referenced thread is also now in the FAQ section on the Klipsch main site: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/support/faqs/do-you-have-heritage-reference-data-available-details/