Glass on top of an oiled walnut Cornwall - Advice needed

rjrbass

You can put the glass directly on the wood, but make sure that the oil is dry to the touch (as in not applied recently). Wipe down or "polish" with a dry clean cotton rag. You can use felt pads, but they will absorb oil and will leave small "circles" that will require re-oiling at intervals. I would not use teflon impregnated pads. Teflon gliders will however work well. Another option is to use velcro, but only use the "pile" pieces applied to the glass. Best of both worlds as the pile pieces don't absorb oil, but still act in the same fashion as felt. Hope that helps.

any suggestions for what to ask the glass dealer...

I just looked up a local glass company and explained what I wanted to do and they told me how they can help.

how thick?

Depends on what the place carries and how much you want to spend.

what kind of edge?

I got just a plain edge, after every cut they polish the edge so it's not sharp. If you wanted you can have them bevel, round or whatever else that particular place can do.

I had glass tops done for 2 pairs of Cornwalls, 1 pair of Heresy and my RF-83's. Always great to deal with, 5 minutes from my house and had it done in a day. I also got those felt pads for the corners from Home Depot, I believe they are the 1/4" round, just so the glass isn't sitting on the speakers themselves.

James