Busted audio rack

jason str

As some of you may know recently i replaced my preamp and in the process of doing this switcharoo one of the wheels busted off my 25 year old audio rack while being pushed back into position.

Now this menial job has been done by most here dozens of times but the swivel wheel to plastic reinforcement do-dad that attaches the assembly to the particleboard side busted off in ugly fashion as the left rear wheel got hung up on a power cable, no damage was done to anything, i heard the crack and braced myself and threw a temporary tennis ball under the corner to keep things upright.

Here is my replacement built from scrap wood laying around doing nothing. No wheels this time, i found some sturdy plastic dome shaped feet that slide nice and easy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I just finished wet sanding the gloss black enamel and the rubbing coumpound finished things up nicely, the vent holes for the amp work well in the first test run but tomorrow will tell more.

• Moderators

Looks good should be plenty strong enough.

You know what helps with making the edges easier, edge banding, iron on, trim then paint, it's easier than trying to sand and it seems on edges it's sometimes almost impossible to hide the layers, if thats plywood.

After ironing let cool for a few minutes and your ready to go, it sticks very well and easy to work with.

just an idea ?

Looks good should be plenty strong enough.

You know what helps with making the edges easier, edge banding, iron on, trim then paint, it's easier than trying to sand and it seems on edges it's sometimes almost impossible to hide the layers, if thats plywood.

After ironing let cool for a few minutes and your ready to go, it sticks very well and easy to work with.

just an idea ?

The sanding is going well so far, the white on the edges is compound residue, wax or both. Another hour of work and its done, my coping saw and sandpaper is right here when i feel like working again. Time to enjoy some tunes.

Plywood & particleboard scraps were used and some pine stock all glued up with heavy duty construction adhesive.

I wanted to add my thanks for everyone's kind words on my work, i have always enjoyed building stuff when i get a chance but it was hot as hell lately so i been working nights to escape the heat as my garage has no A/C.

Everything added up to $30 worth of materials since the wood was just leftovers of other projects.