LaScala as PA

BoldCaptain

Long time lurker, first time poster-

A while ago I was fortunate enough to come across a pair of (what I believe to be) LSI's, from my friends studio. Also in the offering were a pair of Carver PM 1.5's. They have sat in my basement and used only moderately since then. Now I have the opportunity to drag them out and use them as a real PA. My band, ( I do the sound) will be playing an outdoor gig in a park here on Long Island, NY. and was curious if there is anything I should be aware of before I start. The Carver is rated at 450w and I will also be running my regular PA along side (JBL 115's and Crown XLS 802 (500w)).

We are being provided a mobile stage so that will allow me to have the PA at close to head height without having to prop them up and we are being provided a mobile generator as well. We are expecting 200-300 people over an area approx 100ft by 200ft,

Thank you in advance and thank you all for what is a very informative board with very informed people.

Scott

can you list the pa gear that you have so we can better help you?

I'm thinking that biamping be a good start if you can swing it. Also the manner in which the speaker are aligned will make quite a difference in sound. Yeah kill everything below 60 hz on the eq and board channels as well (LF cutoff on each frequency).

DO NOT CLIP THE AMPS- if you allow that much distorted power to the speakers you WILL blow them up. General PA rules say to have 2x to 4x the amount of power available for the occasional transients but don't let the clip indicators stay lit for any length of time. (like the idiot did to my PA last night- I wanted to deck him but he was far bigger than me)

Michael

(... I wanted to deck him but he was far bigger than me)

Well, if you had not lost so much weight you might have been in with a shot. Stick out tongue

Well maybe you could've decked him and be able to outrun him? Of course if he sees you it could make you a marked man.... so better to avoid violence. Maybe a kind suggestion as to why you might not want to be doing that would work. Or just find somebody bigger to deck him.

Thought for the day....

It takes 42 muscles to frown but only 6 to reach out and whack somebody upside the head.

Thanks for the input everybody. The show was a great success, with about 250 ppl in attendance.

All went well and the LaScalas performed beautifully, although they were a little anemic compared to the JBL's

but that was to bee expected. This is not something I want to do for every gig, (man those things are heavy)

but it has been a dream of mine to get them out there and blow the dust outta them!

Thanks againPeace,

Scott