Which McIntosh Preamp?

smack6836

I'm new as a member to the forum, but have read it for some time and finally joined. I'm looking for advice on whcih preamp to get. I purchased a McIntosh MC 250 last year based on a fellow members recommendation (thanks TC!) and really like it a lot. Unbelivable sound, especially for only 50 watts/channel. I currently have an Apt Holman preamp and would like to get a McIntosh to go with the MC 250. Unfortunately, price is a consideration and would like to stay in the $500 to $700 range. I've considered the C28 and like it not only because it has several inputs but also because it has a center channel. (And it's in my price range!) Unfortunately I've never heard one and I don't know what the sound is like. Would it be a good match for my system or are there others that would be a better? I listen to mostly jazz and rock/pop and I'm not shy with the volume knob.

Thanks in advance for any help.

While I don't listen to jazz I do listen to rock/pop with my C28 with my MC-2105 and love it. I running this setup with my Vertical Cornwalls, Thorens 160, Oppo DV-980H (for cd's) and Marantz 2238B (for turner). My next thing to get is either a MR74 or MR77 to replace the Marantz and I'll be set.

As far as the volume knob I have yet to play it past half way and still be in the same room let alone house. This setup is on the second floor and it fills the first floor with sound and with the windows open I can hear it loud and clear when I take the dog out.

Where are you located? If your near the Chicago area we can talk and work out a visit to your place and I will bring the C28 so you can hear it in your setup.

James

I forgot, Welcome to the forum....

Unless you're just looking for a brand match for your MC-250, you'll be hard-pressed to find a McIntosh preamp at 3x your budget that will sound anywhere near as nice as the Apt Holman pre. The MC-250 is a fine amp but comes across a bit warm and 'thuggy' so you'll need a fast and crisp-sounding preamp to match with it and that's a hard find for MACs in your price range while the Apt is just that and has the benefit of an outstanding phono stage if you're into vinyl. If you can stretch you budget a bit, you might want to try the C-33 (@ $1K) but keep the Apt Holman close by and after 6 months or so, put it back in your system and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have fun!

I was never real impressed with those solid state Mac pre's. Maybe if you had one that was all serviced and refreshed? Take this though from someone who is very much partial to tube amps and the tube pre's like the C11 (or C22 but... those are pretty big bucks). I had a 26 and a 28 and found them kind of lifeless compared to my tube pre's. The vintage tube pre's also didn't always sound so good until they were professionally serviced though.

I guess like JBryan said, try one but keep your Apt Holman for a time. Good thing about buying a C26 or C28 is you can usually resell it for what you paid if you find you don't like it.

I recently spent some time with an MX110 and especially liked the phono stage.

Yes - that's a super recommendation, I agree fully (especially when given proper service attention and the right tubes, and especially the Z series). But obtaining that will set ya back about $1500. That said, it's a Mac, and it matches the amp exceptionally well.

The slope gets even more slippery from here....if one keeps looking one ends up with MC30s[H]

I'm going to spoil the party. [:'(]

I really don't like any of the solid state McIntosh of that era. To me, they've always sounded dull, opaque and dark. And IMHO, not all that quiet. Even a Yamaha tuner of that era will blown away its Mac competition. Others will disagree ~ to each his own. I'd keep the Apt/Holman until you acquire the Mac for comparison.

But, for the record I do own more recent McIntosh including MX130 and MC7205 and they are very good.

Artto: there's no spoiling the party, just different opions, which is what I'm looking for. As we all know, it's difficult to know what to buy because in most cases, you can't take it home to try it out and if you can't hear it in your home enviornment, you can't really give it a critical listen. You can see that there are a lot of different views on this and I just have to figure out what works for me.

Thanks for the input........

+1 for the C-33.

Sounds awesome paired with my 2505 and inputs a plenty. I have not even played with the COMPANDER section of it yet.

You could probably find one within your budget if your savvy and patient. I found mine for 7 bills if I remember correctly.

Yes, I really love my MX110, but I've heard great things about the C11. It's not too far from the greatest vintage Mac pre, the C22 (again as I heard). The C22 goed for ridiculous prices. Don't know about the C11, probably also above stated budget, but o well... One thing! Bear in mind that these pres don't have mc phono! So for that you'll need another phonopre...

CAUTION!

Many C-28s had a phono preamp problem, specifically the right channel would drop out periodically. Possibly the location and dressing of the components involved caused overheating or some other problem that caused the drop out? My C28 had that problem, and I was told that others had it too. Mine was repaired by an engineer who was rated the best repair person in the Bay Area by the Bay Guardian. Then it went out again. Then it got fixed again. When I went to sell my c-28 to a shop that specialized in McIntosh, and bought zillions of them, the person screening them said "Does it have the right phono channel problem ... well we'll see." He hooked it up to his test rig and ran it a few minutes, and it failed right in front of us!

I agree with Artto about the sound. When I replaced it with my late, lamented Luxman, the sound was much more open and warm. Luxman was known as "The McIntosh of Japan," and sometimes they beat McIntosh!

Many C-28s had a phono preamp problem, specifically the right channel would drop out periodically. Possibly the location and dressing of the components involved caused overheating or some other problem that caused the drop out? My C28 had that problem, and I was told that others had it too. Mine was repaired by an engineer who was rated the best repair person in the Bay Area by the Bay Guardian. Then it went out again. Then it got fixed again. When I went to sell my c-28 to a shop that specialized in McIntosh, and bought zillions of them, the person screening them said "Does it have the right phono channel problem ... well we'll see." He hooked it up to his test rig and ran it a few minutes, and it failed right in front of us!

Gary,

I know exactly what you are talking about. This has happen to me since I purchased my C-28. I thought that a good cleaning would help but from your experience it doesn't look like it. I have been able to switch the phono inputs every time this has happened and that seems to work or just a simply wiggle of the rca connectors seems to help. I do have to admit that it does bug me when it happens and after it starts working again I'm relaxed listening to vinyl again...

I might have to start looking into something else. Thinking to self, is it time for a change..............

James

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the feedback. It's all good and gave me some things to think about. I appreciated the various suggestions, even though some of them may be out of my price range. The MX110 was of particular interest, since it's a tube and all, but I'm just not sure I can stretch my budget quite that far. The C28 was high on my list, but the comments regarding common issues with them makes me wonder if that would be the best choice. At this point, I'm kind of leaning towards the C26; maybe an MX 112 or 113. I have to admit that part of my attraction is the match the brand of the MC250 that I have, just from a cosmetic standpoint. ( Is that blastfamy to admit on this forum???) What ever I do, I WILL keep the Apt Holman until I'm sure that what I buy is actually better.

Put me down as one who is not overly impressed with the Mcintosh preamps. i have had both a MX110 (z Version) and a C22 in my set up at various times. To me they are muddy and not very dynamic. Love the Macintosh power amps of the same era but with other preamps. I dont have a huge amount of experience with others. I replaced the Macs with a Cary (trying to recall the number) and then bought one of the first Peach preamps when Mark introduced them. Havent looked back. Now using a blueberry and a Merlin ( hot rodded by Craig) and couldnt be happier.

I think that if you search you may find some photos of work that Craig did on Alan Songers C22. I would very much like to hear that preamp. I bet the McIntosh veil is removed in a big way.

Josh

Put me down as one who is not overly impressed with the Mcintosh preamps. i have had both a MX110 (z Version) and a C22 in my set up at various times. To me they are muddy and not very dynamic. Love the Macintosh power amps of the same era but with other preamps. I dont have a huge amount of experience with others. I replaced the Macs with a Cary (trying to recall the number) and then bought one of the first Peach preamps when Mark introduced them. Havent looked back. Now using a blueberry and a Merlin ( hot rodded by Craig) and couldnt be happier. I think that if you search you may find some photos of work that Craig did on Alan Songers C22. I would very much like to hear that preamp. I bet the McIntosh veil is removed in a big way. Josh

My C22 sounded totally dull and muddy when I found it. Sent it off to AudioClassics for a refurb and it was one of the few truly "night and day" differences I've ever heard in audio. These vintage tube pres and amps absolutely need to be refurbished to sound like they're supposed to. Craig at NOSValves, Audio Classics are two professional places that can do the job.