So, we are hosting a Japanese exchange student...

fini

And I want to serve fresh beets from my garden. I'm trying to figure out the best way to inform her of the digestive effects of fresh beets. I've used Babel Fish (babelfish.yahoo.com) to translate this text:

"Mutsumi, I want to tell you something about eating beets. I will cook them tonight for dinner. Occasionally after eating beets, stool can be bright red. The phenomenon should pass within 24-48 hours, depending on the speed of your digestion. Urine can be red or pink, too. It is completely harmless."

I'm hoping this works, without freaking her out. OTOH, she'd probably be really freaked if I didn't tell her and she found out on her own, in the end...

Wow Fini, that is a interesting delima. BTW, I think hosting an exchange student is a very honorable thing to do! [Y]

Another way to word it is.... Beets are a good way to track your digestive system. Because when they pass through you, it will be obvious, as the color of the beets travels through you also, so don't be surprised! [:o]

Good luck,

Dennie

And I want to serve fresh beets from my garden. I'm trying to figure out the best way to inform her of the digestive effects of fresh beets. I've used Babel Fish (babelfish.yahoo.com) to translate this text:

"Mutsumi, I want to tell you something about eating beets. I will cook them tonight for dinner. Occasionally after eating beets, stool can be bright red. The phenomenon should pass within 24-48 hours, depending on the speed of your digestion. Urine can be red or pink, too. It is completely harmless."

I'm hoping this works, without freaking her out. OTOH, she'd probably be really freaked if I didn't tell her and she found out on her own, in the end...

Asparagus and corn on the cob seem like obvious side dishes :)

Is it possible to get an exchange student who can cook Japanese food ? SurpriseWink

Mine does!

The beet explanation went fine, but she got a tummy upset after dinner. I ran out to the store for some pepto bismol and kaopectate, which seemed to do the trick. Mmm, the fun of trying new food in a foreign land!!

Is it possible to get an exchange student who can cook Japanese food ? SurpriseWink

Mine does!

The beet explanation went fine, but she got a tummy upset after dinner. I ran out to the store for some pepto bismol and kaopectate, which seemed to do the trick. Mmm, the fun of trying new food in a foreign land!!

Careful you may end up with 1000 year egg for breakfast.

How did the babelfish translation work out? I always found that it hilariously mistranslated very important words.

Just for fun, this is your message translated from English to Japanese and back again:

"The [mu] it stacks, I concerning eating beat think that we would like to
be what. I tonight cook those for dinner. The time eating the time
after beat, when it is bright red there is a seat. Phenomenon 24-48
should cross within hour, due to the speed of your digestion power. The
urine is red excessively, is when or it is pink, it is. That is harmless
completely."

How did the babelfish translation work out? I always found that it hilariously mistranslated very important words.

Just for fun, this is your message translated from English to Japanese and back again:

completely."

I follow many Japanese bands and I use many translation sites. The problem I have is with slang and street talk. It is frustrating trying to find out what is going on with these bands.

completely."

This actually reminds me of a little game we used to play on another forum that I used to go to regularly.

Somebody would type the lyrics of a popular song into babalfish. He would then translate it to something, say French, then translate that into another languague, say Spanish, and then translate it back to English. He would then post the results to the forum and it would be the rest of us to guess which song those by now thoroughly mangled lyrics came from.

Great to hear that you are hosting a Japanese exchange student. As it turns out, so am I! I picked him up from the airport three days ago. I will have to ask him about the beet thing. Personally I would just serve the beets, then hand her a box of Kotex afterwards. But I am a bit of a @$$ at times. Or so I'm told [:)]

• Like 1