Speaker Internal Dampening

kadame2009

What is the logic behind the DIY in adding or fulling replacing the factory installed material. In all my speakers, RF7, KG2, and KP-4000 i can see some level of foam. For example, my sub actually doesn't have that much, only two square sheets glued to the sides. Nothing on top or rear and with a passive on the bottom, makes sense that there is nothing there. My KG2 has just a single sheet that fits in the middle of the enclosure from top to bottom, with a hole punched in the middle that allows the wire to terminate to the cross over. I can remember seeing a youtube video of a guy that glued a matting material to all internal walls and tried using a thumping test (before and after) to demo the results. I really couldn't tell any difference. I am guessing it extends the lower end frequency response ? Bottom line, what is to gain by doing this modification ?

The philosophy behind adding or replacing the "stuffing" inside a speaker is to reduce cabinet resonances which can cause frequency response irregularities, some of which may be audible. Personally, I'd leave things as they are. Since most speakers are computer designed, and then refined in an anechoic chamber, one must assume that the factory knows what it's doing........

Sound reflections inside the enclosure can bounce between parallel surfaces. More so the mid range and above where the waves length are shorter. Reflected sound can combine with a reinforcement effect called standing waves. Standing waves can reflect back out through the cone and enclosure to have an audible effect. It can serve to boost the perceived sound level but really this is a form of distortion. The foam pads can absorb some of the bouncing waves between the parallel walls. Damping the enclosure can go to the extent of trying to capture all reflected sound. This seems like a logical design goal but the effect on the radiated sound can actually sound constricted and lifeless in the extreme. So, we are left with another balancing act. The early Heresy had no damping material at all. I guess the intent was to use the extra energy to bolster the sensitivity of the system. My Heresy IIs have a wedge of foam (similar to your KG2) to squelch some of the energy.