Rivernuggets

Cameron explains (here) why Avatar will be released in theaters again, with around 10 minutes of extra footage. Mentions a second and third sequel, too. The Avatar thing will be quite the cash cow.

Also brings up that Titanic will be re-released in 3-D soon. eh.....

The technique they use to turn a non 3d movie to 3d is not very good. The reason the 3d in avatar was so amazing was because it was filmed in 3d from the very beginning. The method they used for alice in wonderland wasn't very good either.

The technique they use to turn a non 3d movie to 3d is not very good. The reason the 3d in avatar was so amazing was because it was filmed in 3d from the very beginning. The method they used for alice in wonderland wasn't very good either.

This is sounding like the 'George Lucas effect' to me. These directors must understand that movies are meant to age and become part of movie history. How they age over time no one can predict. Lucas has been unable to leave Star Wars alone.

Avatar is still very new and potentially has sequels and more of a backstory to offer. I don't want to equate Lucas with Cameron here, but Cameron should be careful.

In re-releasing Titanic, he's banking on a new young audience to bring in the cash again. I wonder in this 'Twilight' crazed era if it will work.

Avatar was Cowboys and Indians on another world. Yeah the visuals were cool but it told is such a direct way. At least Star Wars had some twists.

"Luke I am your father".

I agree. I just saw it a couple of days ago. It's the "Independence Day" of this decade: incredible visuals, fairly lame story.

Avatar was Cowboys and Indians on another world. Yeah the visuals were cool but it told is such a direct way. At least Star Wars had some twists.

"Luke I am your father".

Yes but Star Wars was also a western space opera. Everything old is new again.

"Luke I am your father".

Its all how you tell the story and how smart you treat the audience. Avatar treats em like dummies. The story was told in 15 minutes.

"Luke I am your father".

Its all how you tell the story and how smart you treat the audience. Avatar treats em like dummies. The story was told in 15 minutes.

You are right. If I were to grade the movie the storline would get a D the special effects an A and the 3D an A+. Possibly the best 3D production ever made.

Simple story notwithstanding.... Maybe that's why I always liked.... Simple Minds... [;)] Anyways... I'd like to see Avatar in an IMAX theater; Maybe this time it won't be sold out a week in advance; which was a bummer as we drove all the way to West Palm Beach just to see it.

The very simple story line actually has a number of advantages.... First thing that comes to mind is that it makes sidebar sequels easy to fit into the mythology. Everytime Star Wars released the "next" sequel/prequel, they had to contend with the exponential problem of making sure everything "fit", etc. Which is why, at least as far as my wife and I could figure out... the new "Star Wars" movie simply centered around an altered timeline; thus opening up a complete new "possible plot" system for sequels.

But I digress.... In any event, I liked Avatar. After all I went for the entertainment, not to immerse myself in the obligatory social statements on interstellar global politics and oppressive corporate controlled regimes. We have enough of that in real life. Great graphics, simple story line (I like simple!!! - Good guy wins, gets girl, bad guys die, etc. Nothin' wrong with that formula!).

Which is why (and I'll stand up and admit it.....) I liked the Expendables....

back to work!!

[H]