Man I feel old reading this

Jay481985

You could collect Bottles and turn them in for 5 cents a piece.

TV had Rabbit Ears. I was the remote control !

We knew our Neighbors and they ratted us out- Alot !

You could leave home to play, in the morning, and come home at Supper Time...........no worries !

Our Phone # has three Numbers........and a party line !

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who remembers the 12 o'clock "Whistle"? It really wasn't a whistle at all, but that's what we called it. It was really a siren. A cold-war air-raid siren. I remember them being tested every day at 12 noon when I was in grade school. I'm not sure where the sirens were mounted, but it seems like you could hear them all over the city . . .

I guess they had them in NYC too (not only in New Orleans) . . . http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=42534851459&topic=8341

Who remembers the 12 o'clock "Whistle"? It really wasn't a whistle at all, but that's what we called it. It was really a siren. A cold-war air-raid siren. I remember them being tested every day at 12 noon when I was in grade school. I'm not sure where the sirens were mounted, but it seems like you could hear them all over the city . . .

I guess they had them in NYC too (not only in New Orleans) . . . http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=42534851459&topic=8341

Ours were at 1030 on a Tuesday, and if at school we had to go under our desks (And watch the pretty panties run)

The hot car audio setup was to have DUAL 6 X 9s mounted on the rear deck WITH a spring reverb and a 4 or 8 track tape player.

Had that...but being a budding audiophile I had an 8 disc 45rpm changer. MUCH better sound than Muntz or LearJet.

Every parrent on the block had equal rights to give you a spanking should you need it, then tell your folks so you could get another one.

Yezzir, you could get away with NOTHING with every adult in sight fully authorized as deputy parents.

Test patterns on the B&W TV after the stations signed off for the day.

Ahh, the big indian head, then the picture collapsing into the little dot that SLOOWWLLY faded. Sort of a reverse 'big bang' with a collapsing universe.

Also, the noon air raid sirens mentioned elsewhere...I stood next to one back then. The BIG ones were flathead 8 car engines that rumbled into life and you could hear them for miles. Very scary if it wasn't noon...

Dave

I've never owned or driven a car with a carburetor.

I guess you've never adjusted points then either.

And you could work on the engine while sitting on the fender with your legs hanging down between the engine and wheel well.

And not even dent the fender.

In the immortal words of Cheech and Chong.... That was a great cowboys and indians movie!!! (or something to that effect...)

And if they still weren't sleepy, C & C would watch the late show, the one about the blizzard that went on until dawn. There was no dialogue, because the wind noise kind of drowned it out. It was snowing so hard they really had to squint to see the actors.

And you could work on the engine while sitting on the fender with your legs hanging down between the engine and wheel well.

I had a marvelous c. 1972 Opel sedan. Starter died, and I thought, crap... Took a look and I could lean over the fender, take the six bolts out that held it, and pull it straight up. Took all of ten minutes. Replacing the water pump at a later date was harder...about 30 minutes all told.

Those were the last days when the majority of routine R&R of major components was a driveway job. I probably could not even LOCATE the starter in a modern vehicle.

Dave

I had a marvelous c. 1972 Opel sedan. Starter died, and I thought, crap... Took a look and I could lean over the fender, take the six bolts out that held it, and pull it straight up. Took all of ten minutes. Replacing the water pump at a later date was harder...about 30 minutes all told.

Those were the last days when the majority of routine R&R of major components was a driveway job. I probably could not even LOCATE the starter in a modern vehicle.

Dave

I know how you feel on locating components on the newer vehicles.

I had to replace the starter in my Cadillac STS and the starter is located UNDER the intake manifold. It took most of the day labeling vacuum lines and wiring as I pulled it down and re-assembled it.

I felt like a fool having to call Cadillac to find the location of the starter. I am or should say "was" a fine mechanic and have built numerous custom motorcycles and cars and worked as a line mechanic and body man for about a half dozen dealerships up until '96 or so.

Now I don't even change my own oil.

• Moderators

And if you had the fancy kind you could slide open the little window on the distributor and use a special tool and adjust the points with the engine running running with a dwell meter. Cleaning out the garage the other day I threw out my old dwell meter, I will probably never see points like that again.

My dwell meter and timing light are in a drawer in my rollcab. Reading this, I realized it's been literally years since I've actually picked them up. I looked through the rollcab a minute ago and couldn't even remember which drawer they were in, plus they've got stuff on top of them, so they were a little hard to see.

It's been decades since I've used my dial gauges to set the timing on a 2-stroke bike.

I must be old,I've had cars with carbs.

Not only do I know how to set points with a dwell meter (and still have my dwell meter), as well as a feeler gauge, I also know that the cover on a book of matches is close enough to clean and gap points on the side of the road to get you going again.

My father had a 50 Mercury with an under dash turndable. It was upside down, had a clamp to hold the 45 on the turtable and the tone arm came up from underneath. I have to think those records had a very short life expectancy.

One thing I miss in the automotive world is a good mechanic. Used to a mechanic could listen to your car and drive it a bit and be pretty sure he knew what the problem was. Today, you plug in a computer, and if the computer doesn't tell you what the problem is - good luck, you're on your own.